Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 28 Likes Search this Thread
09-22-2020, 01:27 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How to support a helmet for product photography?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Has anyone, please, any suggestions how to support a helmet for photographing?

I'm thinking how I would support different styles of helmets.

Maybe some, eg horse riding helmets that have ventilation holes could be suspended through the holes, then the straps (often coloured and detailed) would not be interrupted (visually) be a stand. But with no vent holes and needing to maintain the detail in the straps, how might a support for this style of helmet be arranged? Editing out the support in post is obviously possible, but with a detailed strap, this would be time consuming.

I'm assuming a strapless helmet would be easier, but if the product had interesting an internal design, then this too would be problematic without a lot of post work.

Any thoughts?

Many thanks ...

09-22-2020, 01:36 PM - 4 Likes   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Like this ?

Like this ?
Attached Images

09-22-2020, 01:37 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If you can stablize it you can hold it from different areas and combine in post. A suction cup from behind. Or a stand that looks good included are 3 options I can think of. I have stuck things with clay but for lighter things.
09-22-2020, 01:41 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Like this ?
Getting close, but I'm not sure that would work as the internal detail &/or the inside of the far strap would be lost. Thank you.

09-22-2020, 01:41 PM - 1 Like   #5
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I'd be tempted to use a proper helmet / hat stand and embrace the presence of it in your shots. After all, a retail supplier would presumably use the same or similar thing to display their wares. It shouldn't, IMHO, detract from the object being photographed - especially if it's a nice-looking but fairly plain stand, like this one:

Home Works Wooden Stand For Helmets Brown 36cm: Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen & Home
09-22-2020, 01:42 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
If you can stablize it you can hold it from different areas and combine in post. A suction cup from behind. Or a stand that looks good included are 3 options I can think of. I have stuck things with clay but for lighter things.
Good idea re. the suction cap might work. However, many riding helmets are fabric, so that would be an issue. Thank you.

---------- Post added 09-22-20 at 09:49 PM ----------

Whoops I seem to have started another thread with an attachment example. Sorry. Hopefully some kind moderator can tidy up. However, the photo may be helpful that I added in the second version. This photo is on white with detail inside the helmet. There are many similar photos on the suppliers site, which I'm not sure they'd have afforded lots of post editing.

Last edited by BarryE; 09-22-2020 at 01:50 PM.
09-22-2020, 01:53 PM - 1 Like   #7

The mannequin head pictured above would work but I'd be concerned about durability (depending on how much it'll be used). You can search for "Canvas Block Head Mannequin" on Amazon and see some that have a canvas covering for under $30 USD. They have a 1" hole in the bottom for a mannequin stand (looks like a light stand). Of course a 1" dowel stuck in the ground would work just as well.

The shape is more like a punching bag so the chin strap would be hanging lose. A head shaped object might work better?

09-22-2020, 01:53 PM - 2 Likes   #8
Veteran Member

You could try something like a thin nylon wire (like the ones used for fishing) to hang it from something? Used something like that when i was young to hang some model aicrafts in my room - the wires were barely visible.
09-22-2020, 02:01 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robiles Quote
You could try something like a thin nylon wire (like the ones used for fishing) to hang it from something? Used something like that when i was young to hang some model aicrafts in my room - the wires were barely visible.
I've used that technique in the past with some success, but for lighter objects. Thanks for the reminder. It might well work as editing would be minimal, but could be fiddly. Not sure what my knotting skills are like though ...
09-22-2020, 02:04 PM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can you take multiple shots and combine in post? Use a tripod or some other support to take the shot of the outside and then use a clamp or other device to hold it static in position and remove the tripod and photograph the inside and then combine the shots removing the items that you don't want possibly using layers. Mind you, this is theory - I have never done it.
09-22-2020, 02:19 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Can you take multiple shots and combine in post? Use a tripod or some other support to take the shot of the outside and then use a clamp or other device to hold it static in position and remove the tripod and photograph the inside and then combine the shots removing the items that you don't want possibly using layers. Mind you, this is theory - I have never done it.
Thanks. I suppose it might work. I'm thinking that clamping may be damaging to the helmet's appearance, especially the fabric versions. But there might be some possibilities of combing shots ...

---------- Post added 09-22-20 at 10:22 PM ----------

Carrying on with the equestrian theme. A similar issue would occur with a saddle. This was going to be my next thought experiment. A saddle, of course, is just a tad heavier and unwieldy. I suspect a purpose built stand would be required for this object ...
09-22-2020, 02:33 PM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

Helmet Stand

I should think it pretty straight forward to fabricate a suitable helmet stand if need. Whether or not you feel it needs to be 'shopped out' is entirely up to you, though if you
chose a simple post stand I think it would be unobtrusive enough to not bother.
09-22-2020, 02:49 PM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
Thanks. I suppose it might work. I'm thinking that clamping may be damaging to the helmet's appearance, especially the fabric versions. But there might be some possibilities of combing shots ...[COLOR="Silver"]
Rather than a clamp perhaps a pair of hooks or even a trio of them - or a pair of rails to rest under the edges. The key is that between the multiple photos you don't move the helmet relative to the camera. That may be hard to pull off.
09-22-2020, 03:04 PM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How about a simple adjustable height hat stand? You can clone out the post or not. See this.
09-22-2020, 03:43 PM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AggieDad Quote
How about a simple adjustable height hat stand? You can clone out the post or not. See this.
Good idea! I thought of a thin steel rod, with a flat disk welded on top and bottom, which I feel will be able to be cloned out very easily.