Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-14-2020, 09:03 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Senate hearings for ms barret

Not sure if this is the place for this thread but here goes. This morning was watching the Senate hearings on the new nominee to the Supreme Court with the little woman when she asked "Who are those people sitting on the floor? I told her they were photographers don't know who they work for. What I would like to know is what type of lenses are these people using? They look enormous anyone got any idea about or why one would need such a large lens for such close work? Thanks to all.

10-14-2020, 09:06 AM   #2
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dipo 1 Quote
Not sure if this is the place for this thread but here goes. This morning was watching the Senate hearings on the new nominee to the Supreme Court with the little woman when she asked "Who are those people sitting on the floor? I told her they were photographers don't know who they work for. What I would like to know is what type of lenses are these people using? They look enormous anyone got any idea about or why one would need such a large lens for such close work? Thanks to all.
The work is not as close as it seems and professionals use very "fast" lenses because everyone get essentially the same view, so they think it has to be "perfect"
10-14-2020, 09:09 AM - 1 Like   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I would expect that a 70-210/2.8 would be standard equipment (same as for a wedding) given that it is available light shooting and quality places a firm limit on how far ISO might be pushed.

Steve
10-14-2020, 10:03 AM - 3 Likes   #4
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
fun and related:
Why this photographer brought a 1940s wooden camera to the impeachment inquiry | CBC Radio

10-14-2020, 10:05 AM   #5
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
The work is not as close as it seems and professionals use very "fast" lenses because everyone get essentially the same view, so they think it has to be "perfect"
as noted in the " In Depth Review ":

QuoteQuote:
HD Pentax-D FA* 70-200mm F2.8 ED DC AW
Introduction
In order to cater to professional photographers, a manufacturer must meet several requirements. In addition to a full frame body, a 70-200mm F2.8 telephoto lens is very high on the list. It is thus not very surprising that Pentax released its own version of that lens just prior to the launch of the Pentax K-1 itself.

The HD Pentax-D FA* 70-200mm F2.8 ED DC AW lens was launched alongside the 15-30mm F2.8 and 24-70mm F2.8 to create a trio of fast zooms able to cover most photographer's needs. Unlike the other two lenses, which are a repackaging of a comparable Tamron lenses (otherwise unavailable for Pentax), the 70-200mm appears to be a brand new in-house design. The 70-200mm's launch was delayed after the initial announcement, to allow the engineers more time to perfect their design.

A 70-200mm lens serves many purposes, especially on full frame. It can be used for portraits (both outside and in a studio), sports, weddings, photojournalism, wildlife, concerts and shows. Such a lens also comes with high expectations. Photographers will expect a high level of optical performance, fast AF, and high reliability. . . .

Read more at: HD Pentax-D FA* 70-200mm F2.8 ED DC AW Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews
10-14-2020, 10:18 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You probably need something at least in the 150mm range and having f2.8 helps in sub-optimal light. Those lenses are pretty decent sized. Some of the newer mirrorless ones are a bit smaller. I have a FA 135mm f2.8 that is very small compared to my 70-200 f2.8, but it doesn't have the flexibility that those lenses have either.
10-14-2020, 01:44 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Don't they all use mirrorless with electronic shutter now because of the silent operation in the hearings? I remember not long ago the noise was so loud you couldn't here.
An opinion piece from 2018.
Opinion | Is the sound of clicking cameras at the White House nearing extinction? - The Washington Post
By 2017 according to the article, "The White House Correspondentsí Association has already addressed what can best be described as pool-spray noise pollution. About a year ago, the group secured agreement with still photographers to limit shutter noise for events at the Oval Office, the Roosevelt Room and the Cabinet Room, according to informed sources."
10-16-2020, 10:36 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Interesting article about David Burnett and using his large format camera . I've had my Medium format Mamiya TLR since '85 and it is definitely a large, heavy, cumbersome , waist level finder....camera.

I don't fire off burst series of pix, I slow right down, have to concentrate on composition. And before all that, have to use my hand held light meter to get a reading.

The end result I generally like. A couple of hours shooting may take up a couple rolls of film...say 22 or so pix.

10-21-2020, 09:50 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
David Burnett has also used a Holga to cover the presidential races, and other things

Holga Eye