Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-23-2020, 05:19 AM - 3 Likes   #1

Photos: Albums
Pentax Film Simulation - Classic Chrome

Hello fellow Pentaxians!

Coming from Fujifilm, I thought I would start a thread for simulating film stocks. I'm sure there are guys out there that really customize their own looks in-camera. It would be great to share your film simulations with everyone so I thought I'd create a spreadsheet linked below (currently anyone can edit it so please be nice!):

Pentax Film Simulations - Google Sheets

I'll start with mine! I have my own version of Fujifilm's Classic chrome! It is not perfect but it is close enough for me (probably even better). Here are the settings:

Custom color: Muted
Saturation: +1
Toning: Red
High/Low Key Adj: 0
Contrast: 0
Highlight Adj: -4
Shadow Adj: -2
Sharpness: +1
Exposure comp: -0.7 (or -0.3)

I'm not sure if my screen is calibrated or not but the above settings is a little bit on the red side compared to the Fujifilm classic chrome. If it's too red, I would change the toning to 0 or even orange. Also, the Pentax here is at -0.7 EV. I should've set it to -0.3 instead.

edit: I have removed the photos for privacy purposes. I will add other samples when I have time.
The first photo is from an X-pro2 classic chrome. The second one is using the settings above (but should've set the Exp COMP to -0.3).

I hope this is a start of something great for current and future Pentaxians!

Last edited by Murdoko; 11-06-2020 at 02:28 AM.
10-23-2020, 05:55 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice job. The tinting looks about right to my eyes. Have you also adjusted the luminescence curve(s)? Film response to light is non-linear and tends to compress the highlights and shadows slightly. Different films have different responses. You would probably have to shoot a series of test shots under different lighting conditions with the cameras using equivalent exposures to be able to fully compare, though.
10-23-2020, 06:51 AM   #3
pid
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
like the colors! But how did you do the Highlight Adj: -5? In my K-1 I only could get a max of -4
10-23-2020, 08:03 AM   #4

Great idea. Thanks for starting this. It’s something I have been interested if duplicating for awhile but don’t have the Fuji camera to compare. Have you started any work on Acros?

10-23-2020, 09:55 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cdw2000 Quote
Nice job. The tinting looks about right to my eyes. Have you also adjusted the luminescence curve(s)? Film response to light is non-linear and tends to compress the highlights and shadows slightly. Different films have different responses. You would probably have to shoot a series of test shots under different lighting conditions with the cameras using equivalent exposures to be able to fully compare, though.
Thanks for this! I will have to keep working on it and test it in different situations! I'll update the recipe if need be.

---------- Post added 23-10-20 at 18:58 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pid Quote
like the colors! But how did you do the Highlight Adj: -5? In my K-1 I only could get a max of -4
Gahhh I'm blind! I adjusted it accordingly. Obviously, I don't know my K-1 well enough (just switched to it).

I also added FUJI pro 400 from here:
Pentax K-3 custom image. Closest match to Fuji pro400 film - PentaxForums.com

---------- Post added 23-10-20 at 19:01 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mbceft Quote
Great idea. Thanks for starting this. It’s something I have been interested if duplicating for awhile but don’t have the Fuji camera to compare. Have you started any work on Acros?
Hmmm I haven't yet but sounds like a challenge! I know what Acros has a brownish tint compared to the usual monochrome profiles. I'll give it a go.
10-24-2020, 04:36 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great job thanks !
11-05-2020, 12:43 PM   #7

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great idea!

11-06-2020, 01:13 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I didn't spot this thread and started one similar lol

Creating a jpeg style - PentaxForums.com

Came from Fuji? That's unusual, any particular reason? I love Pentax but Fuji seems to be the hot ticket.

I put your classic chrome on my K3 and will be giving it a run out later have a look at the other thread, there are one or two recipes on there
11-06-2020, 02:18 AM - 1 Like   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
I didn't spot this thread and started one similar lol

Creating a jpeg style - PentaxForums.com

Came from Fuji? That's unusual, any particular reason? I love Pentax but Fuji seems to be the hot ticket.

I put your classic chrome on my K3 and will be giving it a run out later have a look at the other thread, there are one or two recipes on there
I had the Sony A7. It's nice but it just didn't cut it well enough. It felt flimsy, like a toy. I have quite a few Takumars and it just make total sense to marry it with a Pentax body. I wanted to switch back to an OVF because I got eye strain from using the EVF for long periods. I also wanted a camera which I know will last a lifetime.

I still have a Fuji X-pro2. I use the OVF most of the time. I downsized my Fuji lenses to Fujicrons only. Sold all the expensive ones like the 16mm 1.4, 56mm 1.2 and the 90mm f2, this is partly because no matter how good an APS-C lens is, it somehow can't beat full-frame. The turning point for me is when I compared the SMC Takumar 135mm 2.5 and the XF 90mm f2 side by side. There was hardly any difference in sharpness but more bokeh with the Tak. 56mm 1.2 is great but the 85mm 1.4 is a different level.

I decided to have small portable lenses for the Fuji and fast lenses for the Pentax (which can be had for cheap nowadays). I have the 28mm 1.8, 43mm 1.9 limited, F 50 1.7, Sigma 85mm 1.4, and FA 135mm 2.8 (all AF lenses) for only 1000 EUR in total. I would've spent twice as much if I was with Sony or any other mirrorless cameras. Plus, backwards compatibility.

Anyway, I have updated the spreadsheet with 4 new recipes from your thread.

Cheers!
08-17-2021, 02:20 PM   #10
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Murdoko Quote
Hello fellow Pentaxians!

Coming from Fujifilm, I thought I would start a thread for simulating film stocks. I'm sure there are guys out there that really customize their own looks in-camera. It would be great to share your film simulations with everyone so I thought I'd create a spreadsheet linked below (currently anyone can edit it so please be nice!):

Pentax Film Simulations - Google Sheets

I'll start with mine! I have my own version of Fujifilm's Classic chrome! It is not perfect but it is close enough for me (probably even better). Here are the settings:

Custom color: Muted
Saturation: +1
Toning: Red
High/Low Key Adj: 0
Contrast: 0
Highlight Adj: -4
Shadow Adj: -2
Sharpness: +1
Exposure comp: -0.7 (or -0.3)

I'm not sure if my screen is calibrated or not but the above settings is a little bit on the red side compared to the Fujifilm classic chrome. If it's too red, I would change the toning to 0 or even orange. Also, the Pentax here is at -0.7 EV. I should've set it to -0.3 instead.

edit: I have removed the photos for privacy purposes. I will add other samples when I have time.
The first photo is from an X-pro2 classic chrome. The second one is using the settings above (but should've set the Exp COMP to -0.3).

I hope this is a start of something great for current and future Pentaxians!
Have you got a link to some samples? Flickr or other? I'm very interested in the results using this recipe.

Thanks in advance.

Jacques
01-24-2022, 01:46 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is soooo cool. I have the film recipe app for the Ricoh GR but this even better. Thank you for your contributions!!