Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
11-28-2020, 01:46 PM - 1 Like   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Would you look at that, I'm a professional! Lol

How to Know When You're a Pro Photographer | Fstoppers

Interesting timing on this subject and the article.

12-05-2020, 05:15 PM   #32

I open both eyes when I'm looking for a flying bird: match the focusing grid the right eye sees with a small bird the left eye sees, move the grid a little to the right, there's the bird in the viewfinder.
In most other cases I keep my left eye shut when I'm looking through a viewfinder: I'm left eye dominant and the moment I open it, it takes priority over the right eye looking through the viewfinder.
12-05-2020, 07:07 PM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MetalUndivided Quote
I open both eyes when I'm looking for a flying bird: match the focusing grid the right eye sees with a small bird the left eye sees, move the grid a little to the right, there's the bird in the viewfinder.
In most other cases I keep my left eye shut when I'm looking through a viewfinder: I'm left eye dominant and the moment I open it, it takes priority over the right eye looking through the viewfinder.
I just use the left eye. Why use the right one if you are left eye dominant.
12-05-2020, 09:25 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
Sounds weird when you write it
It is weird, but sometimes the only chance to succeed.I sometime keep both eyes open - with more or less success - when photographing (field) hockey matches, to track what's going on in the game and anticipate the next moves with one, while framing with the other. This, or using crop mode on the K-1, to keep at least some context.

12-06-2020, 05:44 AM   #35

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I just use the left eye. Why use the right one if you are left eye dominant.
I have a large nose which blocks the leftmost button of the D-pad when I'm doing that.
12-06-2020, 06:52 AM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MetalUndivided Quote
I have a large nose which blocks the leftmost button of the D-pad when I'm doing that.
Ah! I understand.
12-07-2020, 02:38 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Left-eyed here with bad eyesight, I have to close the right eye or I can't even see properly through the OVF... this even applies to optical microscope work
I know a person or two who can just "ignore" the left eye despite not closing it while shooting through the finder with the right eye, however. Magic, I guess

12-07-2020, 03:15 AM - 1 Like   #38
Pentaxian

I use my left eye for optics (camera, spotting scope) - both for binoculars ! - but on the rare occasions I use an air rifle, I use my right eye ! I am technically right handed, but I have been described as 'Ambi-sinister' - clumsy with both hands.
12-07-2020, 05:02 AM - 2 Likes   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
I have been described as 'Ambi-sinister' - clumsy with both hands.
I'm shamelessly stealing this, it's a far too accurate description of myself
12-07-2020, 05:24 PM - 1 Like   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
I'm shamelessly stealing this, it's a far too accurate description of myself
You are more than welcome.
12-07-2020, 10:49 PM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mooncatt Quote
Anyone else shoot through the viewfinder, but with both eyes open, or am I just weird?

I started doing it almost naturally on my first camera, and found it helped spot things in motion. Not only for subject tracking, but to keep an eye out for anything that may be moving into the frame that should impair the shot. Now on my K3 II, it's bigger and blocks more of the view in my free eye, but I still find myself doing so. Squinting also slightly impacts my open eye's view by closing it a bit as well, so having both open also allows for a better view through the viewfinder.
I do this most often as closing the other eye causes jittering movement on the camera body (maybe I am close my eyes so hard) and also causes some eye strain. I close the other eye only during clicking. When I am in bright sun light also, I just can't keep both eyes open as it becomes too difficult to see through the viewfinder. Closing the other eye during these times helps me see what is in the viewfinder. Yes, during these times I press and close the other eye that it has sometime stressed me out.
12-09-2020, 08:15 PM   #42
Pentaxian

The only time I find myself doing it is the rare time I'm doing panning shots.
12-11-2020, 06:40 PM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I find the range of answers very enlightening. I would love to do some type of study and see if I could teach people to switch from one method to the other and compare their eyestrain and comfort - which group would have it tougher? I wonder.
12-12-2020, 04:44 AM   #44
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sany Quote
I do this most often as closing the other eye causes jittering movement on the camera body (maybe I am close my eyes so hard)
I usually close my right eye as I raise the camera, so by the time my nose hits the screen everything else is ready. I try to keep the subject in view as I raise the camera, rather than looking down at the camera (this works with bins too, raising them into my line of sight), so that I am ready to shoot immediately the subject is in focus.
12-20-2020, 11:13 AM   #45
Forum Member

Few months ago I noticed that after looking a viewfinder with the left eye closed for a bit longer time, 45 secs or so, my left eye would have some focusing problems for the next 20 mins. After some googling I found that there are other people with similar issues and some of them had suggested to shoot with both eyes open. And it worked for me.

Another thing that some people mentioned in same threads was the dominant eye thing. So I decided to try shooting both eyes open but with the left eye in the view finder.
The findings were quite surprising. First of all, I can use both eyes just as well. There is no one eye that is clearly dominant. For the last couple of months I have been using both eyes in the view finder dependig on the situation. Another more interesting finding to me was that the left eye sees things brighter and in warmer colors than the right eye.

Just out of the curiousity I went to an eye doctor. With an old left eye injury as an excuse for my employer.
The doctor made a bunch of tests and said that the sight in both eyes is very good. (being a reason to even be able to notice the slight differences in the sight of both eyes)
But he also said that the reason for the focusing issue is that the eyes are different pair and because of that I would need glasses for nearsightedness in the next 3 or 5 years...
The far sight (or what ever it is called in English) would be good for the rest of the life. Interesting to see if those predictions hold true.

Last edited by Pete82; 12-20-2020 at 11:36 AM.