Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
11-08-2020, 07:02 PM - 1 Like   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you shoot cameras or guns you should ALWAYS try to shoot with both eyes open. There are technical reasons but mostly I think it reduces eye strain and increases awareness of the area. I'm left eye dominant which makes handgun shooting challenging but I've done it this way my whole life.

11-09-2020, 05:21 AM   #17

When using monocular devices like telescopes or single eyepiece microscopes I was taught to keep both eyes open to reduce or even out eyestrain. It's a habit that carried over to camera use. Much easier to do using your "dominant" eye which is usually, but not always, the same as your "dominant" hand.
11-09-2020, 07:57 AM   #18
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by Mooncatt Quote
Anyone else shoot through the viewfinder, but with both eyes open, or am I just weird?

I started doing it almost naturally on my first camera, and found it helped spot things in motion. Not only for subject tracking, but to keep an eye out for anything that may be moving into the frame that should impair the shot. Now on my K3 II, it's bigger and blocks more of the view in my free eye, but I still find myself doing so. Squinting also slightly impacts my open eye's view by closing it a bit as well, so having both open also allows for a better view through the viewfinder.
With a 50-55mm lens it will work, but as soon as your right eye looks through the viewfinder with a smaller or longer focal length the brain gets confused. I am not able to do this, otherwise my pictures will not be sharp, because the right eye sees a different perspective in the OVF than my left eye does. My brain tries to make the view sharp and will compensate either of the eyes to match the view of the other one. So I had to learn to use just one eye instead of looking with both eyes, as I said it only works with a 50 of 55mm lens. The only strain you can get is that you close one eye to tightly.
11-09-2020, 08:11 AM   #19
Forum Member

I couldn't open both. I need to concentrate on the viewfinder image- particularly the edges.

11-09-2020, 09:51 AM - 1 Like   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I suspect this article may resonate:

Shooting Illustrated | Shooting With One Eye or Two Eyes Open: Which is Correct?

I personally have zero difficulty with both eyes open. The difference in magnification makes it easier for me to focus my attention on one eye while keeping them both open. This applies to shooting guns and cameras and using telescopes.

However, I've been shooting guns and cameras since I was six. (not a typo) and I was taught from the very beginning to keep both eyes open. It's difficult to change a long ingrained behavior and this article also sheds light on the fact that higher eye dominance makes it easier to shoot with both eyes open.

I'd say shoot however it is most comfortable to you. But I personally find closing one eye distracting and difficult.
11-09-2020, 12:46 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I'm left eye dominant which makes handgun shooting challenging but I've done it this way my whole life.
Why does left eye dominant make it more challenging? Because you are right-handed?
11-09-2020, 12:54 PM   #22
Pentaxian

I'm trying to because I tend to close my left eye with to much pressure. Resulting in being half blind on that eye for a minute or so. I find it difficult ti close more gently when concentrated on the composition.

I find it difficult to properly understand the framing with two eyes open. Still practicing.

11-09-2020, 01:27 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
I'm trying to because I tend to close my left eye with to much pressure. Resulting in being half blind on that eye for a minute or so. I find it difficult ti close more gently when concentrated on the composition.

I find it difficult to properly understand the framing with two eyes open. Still practicing.
If you aren't very dominate in one eye, this may not work. I'm very left eye dominate, which likely makes this easy for me.
11-09-2020, 02:19 PM   #24
Veteran Member

I shoot with both eyes open most of the time. It is true, after squinting so much, it causes strain.
11-09-2020, 03:27 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
Why does left eye dominant make it more challenging? Because you are right-handed?
Yes. Based on the alignment of sights to the target it is harder being right handed and left eyed but I've lived with it for years.
11-09-2020, 06:30 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I find it very difficult to do at any focal lengths outside of normal vision (40-50mm). It tends to confuse my eye focus and depth perception causing even more eye strain.
11-09-2020, 06:45 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

To be fair I used this method for many years without problems. Then I had eye surgery and had one eye covered for a week and then my prescription couldn't be updated in my glasses for another 5 weeks. The the situation reversed and I had the other eye out of focus for 3 weeks. I learned to effortlessly focus each eye through this... Indeed I would find myself reading and I'd have to snap one eye back in focus by closing the eye that was in focus. The article mentions using vaseline to make a lens on your glasses (or sunglasses) impossible to focus through. Using this you can train yourself over time.
11-09-2020, 11:16 PM   #28

I shoot my handgun with iron sites and my MSR rifle with a 1X holographic site with both eyes open. I’ve never tried to shoot my SLR with both eyes open. But Looking through my MX with a 50 mm lens seems natural. The primary benefit of keeping both eyes open is situational awareness. If you’re shooting a fast moving subject it may be of some benefit. Otherwise Shooting with one eye open maybe more beneficial because you can use the tools of the focusing screen or the cameras software to focus on the subject.
11-11-2020, 06:21 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I shoot all sorts of firearms right handed, with my right eye, both eyes open. I've always shot photography using my left eye, so the camera body and right hand obstruct my right eye's view, though it stays open. There's no right or wrong way, just what's comfortable.
11-15-2020, 05:44 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Both eyes open with guns, and I guess it would work for cameras, but I close my left one most of the time.