Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-08-2020, 12:39 PM - 1 Like   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Eyes wide open?

Anyone else shoot through the viewfinder, but with both eyes open, or am I just weird?

I started doing it almost naturally on my first camera, and found it helped spot things in motion. Not only for subject tracking, but to keep an eye out for anything that may be moving into the frame that should impair the shot. Now on my K3 II, it's bigger and blocks more of the view in my free eye, but I still find myself doing so. Squinting also slightly impacts my open eye's view by closing it a bit as well, so having both open also allows for a better view through the viewfinder.

11-08-2020, 12:54 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Its not weird, as I have read of a number of photographers (some quite notable) who to the same thing and often to their advantage.
Having said that I don't as its not practical for me owing to me being left eyed (most cameras are in the way of the right eye).
11-08-2020, 01:04 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That's like the old wire-frame 'sports finder' technique -- goes far back to at least the TLRs -- Try trackin' action on a reversed-image, ground-glass focusing screen -- and Press Graphic days.

Works with the Q too with a l'il Kentucky windage eyeball calibration.

A zero-cost OVF for the Q's - PentaxForums.com
11-08-2020, 01:05 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
From time to time I have both eyes open, but it's the exception rather than the rule

11-08-2020, 01:24 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by othar Quote
From time to time I have both eyes open, but it's the exception rather than the rule
this ^^^
11-08-2020, 01:36 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My right eye is hopeless. Always closed when I use the camera.
11-08-2020, 02:34 PM   #7

For me, it depends on the situation. If I am in a wide open area with lots of people around, say a festival of some type if any of you can still remember those, I have both eyes open and close the left one when I go to compose the shot. I think this way I and more aware of peripheral action or colour then they catch my fancy . If I am in a more enclosed area even with a lot of people, I pretty much scan with my human eyeballs and then bring the camera up to them when I see something to shoot.

11-08-2020, 02:42 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I do sometimes. More to rest my face muscles, I've been told that I have this whole grimaced look on my face when I shoot. Guess I scrunch up my face a lot more when I shut 1 eye unlike normal people
11-08-2020, 02:49 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mooncatt Quote
Anyone else shoot through the viewfinder, but with both eyes open, or am I just weird?
It depends on the camera. When shooting a camera having a 1x viewfinder that allows a clear view for the other eye, it works great. I have three rangefinder cameras with 1x viewfinders and three Pentax model cameras that allow the same with a 55 mm lens. My K-3 comes close (0.95x with 50mm lens), but I seldom am shooting with a 50mm lens.

Steve
11-08-2020, 02:51 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
That's like the old wire-frame 'sports finder' technique -- goes far back to at least the TLRs
I have considered getting a wire frame finder, just for the convenience when shooting the hyperfocal with street photography.

Steve
11-08-2020, 03:35 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello,

Not very common, but I do that some times to track things that may get into the frame. Actually, this morning I was shooting a lighthouse from the beach and there were some surfers around. I was shooting with a telephoto so my right eye was composing the lighthouse and my left eye was tracking people walking in or out of the frame.
Sounds weird when you write it

Thanks,
11-08-2020, 05:29 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by steve:
I have considered getting a wire frame finder,
Just make one -- so many options and materials. It isn't a critical situation. If action's such you need a eyeball finder, bore sight alignment and a good feel for the FOV is a good as it's gonna get.

I've badly missed the ideal FOV frame on occasion and still come up with unexpected keepers I wouldn't have otherwise. I'd probably not even taken the shot while fumbling with a VF.

Don't let the quest for 'perfection' spoil good enough for a fine image.

Remember: It don' have to be perfect to be awesome.
11-08-2020, 05:49 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not weird at all. Actually it takes some skill and training to be able to do it for most people. It's a natural instinct to close the other eye when looking thru an eyepiece or viewfinder.
11-08-2020, 06:11 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have but not often, I'm a left eye shooter which makes it a bit harder. But then always when using live view on the tripod, LOL.
11-08-2020, 06:27 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kiwi_jono Quote
Its not weird, as I have read of a number of photographers (some quite notable) who to the same thing and often to their advantage.
Having said that I don't as its not practical for me owing to me being left eyed (most cameras are in the way of the right eye).
I'm left eye dominate as well, but it works out somehow. Even if the advantages are small, the comfort is worth it.