Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-07-2007, 09:02 PM   #1
Veteran Member

A Question For Ben !!

Being you are in the fashion business, how badly do you miss tethering ?

I want it very much and just wondering your outlook. Have you heard when the new software will be available ?

I will ask about this at PMA, but just curious about your feelings.

wll

03-12-2007, 07:19 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Tethering

QuoteOriginally posted by wll Quote
Being you are in the fashion business, how badly do you miss tethering ?

I want it very much and just wondering your outlook. Have you heard when the new software will be available ?

I will ask about this at PMA, but just curious about your feelings.

wll
I originally thought that tethering was rather novel as it allows me to see the images while I am actually shooting. In the short time I used this process I found that rather than being a benefit, it actually slowed me down. Usually when shooting, I like to concentrate on the model and find ways to extract the emotion I am trying to establish in a given theme. When I am hooked up to the computer I find that it actually takes my attention away from the shoot. When shooting film, I had to trust my intuition and press the shutter when I felt I captured that special moment. I am not complaining about the near instantaneous feedback one gets in digital, but at least wait until you feel you have gotten "That" shot. Have a look at the rear viewing screen to confirm that you did. If not, continue shooting until you do get it. So invariably, I still shoot like I am shooting film except the development process is light-years faster. Tethering might be important when shooting with an overly neurotic Art Director or client who is insecure about the competence of the photographer or for the AD's who want to see the images on the fly to make on the set tweaks to the overall image being seen on the screen. I find tethering in public view so invasive and counter creative, in that it doesn't give one the time to experiment without an instant critique from the viewers I much prefer downloading my images via a card reader directly to the computer when the image is done.