Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-12-2008, 01:28 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Also have a look at the Photographer's library.

After you have mastered the technical basics, I recommend reading a book about composition.

The best I've come across so far is Michael Freeman's "The Photographer's Eye". It has a nice big format, offers plenty of examples and not only gives you one version, but several versions of images to compare crop and framing choices, for example. It features instructive diagrams which illustrate how images "work". I'll post a more comprehensive review at Photographer's library once I have finished the book.

11-13-2008, 09:56 AM   #17
Forum Member

Original Poster
Wow....Chapters is FAST!
I received two of my three already!!!!

K...gotta go read now!
11-13-2008, 11:03 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by poochie99 Quote
Wow....Chapters is FAST!
I received two of my three already!!!!

K...gotta go read now!
great, go read, take a bunch of photos, then re-read the books, you are probably your own best critic
11-14-2008, 04:59 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by woodworm Quote
Sounds like Bryan Peterson's books are quite popular. I've just read through his 'Learn to see Creatively' book and found that useful and very well written. I don't have much experience with a dSLR and am still picking up the terminology, but this book was easy to understand.

Another book I enjoyed for similar reasons was 'Digital Nature Photography, the Art and the Science' by John & Barbara Gerlach.

I have requested Bryan Peterson's 'Understanding Exposure' and 'Understanding Shutter Speeds' books for Christmas! (wooooo hoooooooooo!!!! 44 days!!!!! )
I have 'Understanding Shutter Speeds' & 'Understandig Exposure', read both of them twice, and some of my shots are still crappy. Should I ask for my $$$ back? Seriously, they are both great books.

11-15-2008, 11:35 AM   #20

Anything from Joe McNally. His seminars here in NYC are JAM PACKED every time. He truly wows everyone. And I mean everyone.

I honestly used to think McNally was overrated, until I took a closer look. Awesome work, awesome teacher, even though he works with Nikons.
11-15-2008, 01:41 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'll throw in another vote for Understanding Exposure. Its very straightforward and clearly explains things. Lots of example photos and how he shot them. I have a collection of photography books going back many years. Petersons books are as good as they get. Another well worn book I have is the Amatuer Photographers Handbook, by Aaron Sussman. I was given it as a present in the early 70's and it was the one book that was always off the shelf and handy. Its probably out of print by now as the first edition came ont in the 40's but the basic principles of exposure and composition are still the same.