Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-27-2020, 09:10 PM   #1
Pentaxian

A Unique Idea for Your Holiday Photo Sessions

I was digging into some ideas for a mother-toddler duo photo shoot tonight. I stumbled across something that is, um, how do I say this? Unique?

It's an article from several years ago, but it alerted me to a practice that I had never heard before. The photos speak for themselves.

Extraordinary photos capture 19th century fad for draping mum in a sheet in family portraits | Daily Mail Online

If this thread gets enough traction, I'm hoping that we can revive this approach. 2020 can't get any weirder, right?

11-27-2020, 10:18 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
LOL, those are something all right! I had to look through some scan I have of old pictures that belonged to my Grandma, ones that we don't know who they are. There is one that has an arm coming from the side holding a little kid in a chair. And I may have found one like in the article, not sure, but maybe:
Name:  14.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  74.2 KB
11-27-2020, 11:02 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Ha! Love it, Tom. I agree...looks like an arm to me. But it's fun to consider the possibility that she's actually sitting on somebody's lap.

Last edited by ofer4; 11-29-2020 at 10:22 PM.
11-28-2020, 12:02 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
We'd have to shoot at f1.4 to hide mum in the bokeh

11-28-2020, 01:01 AM   #5
Pentaxian

That was some weird stuff. Almost creepy.
11-28-2020, 08:18 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have tons of old family photos, but not one like those. I've NEVER seen an improvised baby chair photo before - a real kicker!!!
11-28-2020, 10:02 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not the first time if seen that explained. Though if I were to do it, I wouldn't drape fabric over the mom or whoever. They should be dressed as Cousin It!
11-28-2020, 10:06 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Really interesting concept. Guess film was soooo slow back then too. Try hold a youngsters attention to keep still for minutes. Surprised so many unfinished works without good masking survived. I'll be keeping a look out for this in family collections I haven't scanned yet.

12-07-2020, 11:01 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ofer4 Quote
I was digging into some ideas for a mother-toddler duo photo shoot tonight. I stumbled across something that is, um, how do I say this? Unique?

It's an article from several years ago, but it alerted me to a practice that I had never heard before. The photos speak for themselves.

Extraordinary photos capture 19th century fad for draping mum in a sheet in family portraits | Daily Mail Online

If this thread gets enough traction, I'm hoping that we can revive this approach. 2020 can't get any weirder, right?
I do agree and excited, let's revive it.
12-09-2020, 08:04 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If this idea does resurrect, I suggest using a chroma green or blue drape so the children can be edited out and placed on a more suitable background. The photos would be a lot less creepy.
12-09-2020, 09:23 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Photos-by-Chas Quote
If this idea does resurrect, I suggest using a chroma green or blue drape so the children can be edited out and placed on a more suitable background. The photos would be a lot less creepy.
Depends on what you replace them with!
12-10-2020, 07:59 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Why on the name of all that's holy would anyone do that?
12-11-2020, 09:34 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Depends on what you replace them with!
Good point. I would suggest something more family friendly.