Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-12-2008, 09:43 PM   #1

Try to sell prints at local art gallery?

There is a decent size art gallery in the downtown of my home town(population is about 100,000). I am thinking about joining and trying to sell some prints. The price for a 1 year membership is $20 and then I think about $40 every six months for a small display area (about 3ft by 4ft). I wondering if anyone has any recomendations on if I should try it out or not and if I do what size prints do people normally sell in galleries. Here is a link to a couple of pics I uploaded to flickr and wanted to know if you even think I am good enough to try to sell pics.

OooApicture's photosets on Flickr

Thanks for your insight!

11-12-2008, 10:10 PM   #2
Damn Brit

Best suggestion I have is talk to some of the others, ask them what kind of stuff sells and whether your stuff complements that. The display space you mentioned doesn't seem that big so that's an element to take into account as well. Probably 8x10's would be a good size to start with. You can always work out the prices for larger sizes and put a card up on your display giving information on what sizes are available and for how much.

As far as whether your shots are good enough, they look pretty good but it's hard to tell how good because of the sizes available to look at. I think you're going to have to print some off and then come to a decision based on how they look.
11-12-2008, 10:47 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Best suggestion I have is talk to some of the others, ask them what kind of stuff sells and whether your stuff complements that. The display space you mentioned doesn't seem that big so that's an element to take into account as well. Probably 8x10's would be a good size to start with. You can always work out the prices for larger sizes and put a card up on your display giving information on what sizes are available and for how much.

As far as whether your shots are good enough, they look pretty good but it's hard to tell how good because of the sizes available to look at. I think you're going to have to print some off and then come to a decision based on how they look.
Thanks for the help and with display size the 3x4 ft is the smallest there are two sizes that you can get I think 5x10 ft being the largest, but I would start smallest just to see if I could sell anything.

and for my shots I wouldn't really try to sell any of those on my flickr but I just wanted to see if people think my pictures are composed well enough that I would be able to take a picture someone would be interested in. I think I would go with your recomendation and see what type of shots sell the best there(nature, landscape, cityscape or whatever else) and try to take more pictures of that style.
11-12-2008, 11:14 PM   #4
Inactive Account

I say go for it! What's the worst that could happen? You might lose $60? Who cares. You have some nice images. Just do it!

11-12-2008, 11:25 PM   #5
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by vdubbin099 Quote
Thanks for the help and with display size the 3x4 ft is the smallest there are two sizes that you can get I think 5x10 ft being the largest, but I would start smallest just to see if I could sell anything.

and for my shots I wouldn't really try to sell any of those on my flickr but I just wanted to see if people think my pictures are composed well enough that I would be able to take a picture someone would be interested in. I think I would go with your recomendation and see what type of shots sell the best there(nature, landscape, cityscape or whatever else) and try to take more pictures of that style.
Have a look and see if you can see any 'holes' in the variety of pictures being displayed. You might find a niche market.
Composition looks pretty good BTW
11-12-2008, 11:43 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by craig1024 Quote
I say go for it! What's the worst that could happen? You might lose $60? Who cares. You have some nice images. Just do it!
Thanks, it really means a lot I think I just needed the extra push to get me to do it.

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Have a look and see if you can see any 'holes' in the variety of pictures being displayed. You might find a niche market.
Composition looks pretty good BTW
Great idea! thanks again for your help and hopefully I will be able to get this set up sometime soon. I know you have to go through a couple steps of interviews and work presentations before you get accepted into the gallery so I guess this will just give me the excuse to go out and shoot even more
11-13-2008, 06:24 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I say give it a try, but before comitting to this possible income source, I suggest the following:

1) Take a good look at Pentax Photo Gallery. Remember that one (possibly the most important, beside being produced with a Pentax camera) requisite, is that the photo is worthy of "living room display" or "art gallery display". Browse through many pics there, especially on ones similar to what you pretend to sell/exhibit.

2) Take great care in the print/framing procedure. You do not want happy customers coming back because prints faded or something happended like mold growing inside frame (behind glass for example).

3) Make sure you state "gaming rules" in advance. For example: Each print should bear a notice on its back that states that "The exhibition of this photograph and image is solely for personal purposes. No commercial / profit exhibition is allowed. The buyer understands this is an original copy of this image and therefore, several copies may be produced for the same purpose.... Do not display this picture under direct sunlight or strongly lit places...." You get the idea.

4) About pricing, I suggest you walk around other art galleries that deal with photographs and take note about pricing policies. You will get a close idea on how much to charge.

Robert B.

11-13-2008, 08:01 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rburgoss Quote
I say give it a try, but before comitting to this possible income source, I suggest the following:

1) Take a good look at Pentax Photo Gallery. Remember that one (possibly the most important, beside being produced with a Pentax camera) requisite, is that the photo is worthy of "living room display" or "art gallery display". Browse through many pics there, especially on ones similar to what you pretend to sell/exhibit.

2) Take great care in the print/framing procedure. You do not want happy customers coming back because prints faded or something happended like mold growing inside frame (behind glass for example).

3) Make sure you state "gaming rules" in advance. For example: Each print should bear a notice on its back that states that "The exhibition of this photograph and image is solely for personal purposes. No commercial / profit exhibition is allowed. The buyer understands this is an original copy of this image and therefore, several copies may be produced for the same purpose.... Do not display this picture under direct sunlight or strongly lit places...." You get the idea.

4) About pricing, I suggest you walk around other art galleries that deal with photographs and take note about pricing policies. You will get a close idea on how much to charge.

Robert B.
All very good advise, and you might want to consider a couple of additional points.

FIrst of all, you may wish to offer Unframed prints as well as framed. Framing and mats, while helping display the image also do 2 things, they increase the price (possibly putting some people off) and they also limit the sales opportunities, because they might not match the scheme of the purchaser. Most people who buy art, although they start with one purchase, usually have many more. Your photo has to fit into their existing display scheme some how, and a frame may put them off.

second, and I can't evaluate this, you may wish to indicate some how an origonal print, perhaps signed and numbered. May not matter now, if you are starting, but if you become successful, it will. Also, again for the future, you may wish to indicate the Maximum Number of the print being prodcued, and if it is a really big seller you may wish to hold a few back, because once they are gone they are gone.
11-13-2008, 10:41 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rburgoss Quote

Robert B.
Thanks! you made great points. #1 is the biggest one I struggle with, I have a couple pics on the Pentax Photo Gallery but even then I still don't have the confidence that people will want to buy these images to hang somewhere. Thank you also for pointing out #3 I would have never thought to be that inclusive of rights and "regulaitons" of the photo.

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
All very good advise, and you might want to consider a couple of additional points.

FIrst of all, you may wish to offer Unframed prints as well as framed. Framing and mats, while helping display the image also do 2 things, they increase the price (possibly putting some people off) and they also limit the sales opportunities, because they might not match the scheme of the purchaser. Most people who buy art, although they start with one purchase, usually have many more. Your photo has to fit into their existing display scheme some how, and a frame may put them off.

second, and I can't evaluate this, you may wish to indicate some how an origonal print, perhaps signed and numbered. May not matter now, if you are starting, but if you become successful, it will. Also, again for the future, you may wish to indicate the Maximum Number of the print being prodcued, and if it is a really big seller you may wish to hold a few back, because once they are gone they are gone.
The unframed pictures are a great idea, I was also thinking about hanging up a small basket that I could place multiple matted 8x10, 5x7 or even 3x5's in. That way I could maximize the number of photos in my display area. The limited number of prints is also a great idea thanks!

This all really helps because I think its is very important to have everything planned out before I try to go forward with this. Any more imput would be greatly appreciated.
11-13-2008, 10:55 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The unframed pictures are a great idea, I was also thinking about hanging up a small basket that I could place multiple matted 8x10, 5x7 or even 3x5's in. That way I could maximize the number of photos in my display area. The limited number of prints is also a great idea thanks!

The prints I've sold have been mounted on foam board. They seem to be the most popular as they are more durable and easily adapt to any frame or mat. If you have a mat cutter and some 3M adhesive spray, it's easy to do yourself. If you do decide to do it yourself, practice on a couple scrap photos first...you will screw up the first couple before you figure out how to do it perfect every time.

The last sale I made was to a couple that loved the picture but what sealed the deal was "the sparkly photo paper". I just used the standard luster from White House Custom Color....luv that company!
11-13-2008, 11:00 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by navcom Quote
The prints I've sold have been mounted on foam board. They seem to be the most popular as they are more durable and easily adapt to any frame or mat. If you have a mat cutter and some 3M adhesive spray, it's easy to do yourself. If you do decide to do it yourself, practice on a couple scrap photos first...you will screw up the first couple before you figure out how to do it perfect every time.

The last sale I made was to a couple that loved the picture but what sealed the deal was "the sparkly photo paper". I just used the standard luster from White House Custom Color....luv that company!
Haha thanks for the advice I will have to remember the "sparkly photo paper" because I also use White House Custom Color and I love their meatallic photo paper too. Do you get the print directly on the foam board or is that what you were talking about when you use the 3M adhesive spray?
11-13-2008, 12:30 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Haha thanks for the advice I will have to remember the "sparkly photo paper" because I also use White House Custom Color and I love their meatallic photo paper too. Do you get the print directly on the foam board or is that what you were talking about when you use the 3M adhesive spray?

I do it myself...alot cheaper and I already have the materials and equipment. I just lay the print upside down on the piece of cardboard they ship the print on, lightly tape it down on each end with painters masking tape (blue tape)...one piece on each end of the print just barely holding it (not more than a 1/6 of an inch overlap). Then I spray it with a light coating of 3M "77" adhesive, let it sit for about a minute, and then carefully lower a slightly larger piece of foam board onto it. Then carefully remove the tape and CAREFULLY lift the print and foam board up, making sure not to smear the print into the excess adhesive on the cardboard. Once the adhesive has dried awhile, I use a mat cutter and trim the "assembly", taking off about 1/16" of print all around....gives it nice and crisp ends...just make sure you have a sharp blade in the cutter.

Works great and costs about $3-4 for an 18x24 print (20x30 foam board). WHCC charges about $15 to mount it. If you are just doing one print, it might be easier just to have them do it, but if you are producing several of them, it's a huge savings.
11-13-2008, 03:08 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by navcom Quote
I do it myself...alot cheaper and I already have the materials and equipment. I just lay the print upside down on the piece of cardboard they ship the print on, lightly tape it down on each end with painters masking tape (blue tape)...one piece on each end of the print just barely holding it (not more than a 1/6 of an inch overlap). Then I spray it with a light coating of 3M "77" adhesive, let it sit for about a minute, and then carefully lower a slightly larger piece of foam board onto it. Then carefully remove the tape and CAREFULLY lift the print and foam board up, making sure not to smear the print into the excess adhesive on the cardboard. Once the adhesive has dried awhile, I use a mat cutter and trim the "assembly", taking off about 1/16" of print all around....gives it nice and crisp ends...just make sure you have a sharp blade in the cutter.

Works great and costs about $3-4 for an 18x24 print (20x30 foam board). WHCC charges about $15 to mount it. If you are just doing one print, it might be easier just to have them do it, but if you are producing several of them, it's a huge savings.
Thanks, great write up. I will definetly try this on some of the next prints I order. How thick of a foam board do you normally use because I know that WHCC offers a couple different thicknesses. Definetly a cost saver if I start making multiple prints.
11-13-2008, 03:20 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Thanks, great write up. I will definetly try this on some of the next prints I order. How thick of a foam board do you normally use because I know that WHCC offers a couple different thicknesses. Definetly a cost saver if I start making multiple prints.
I've used 1/8", 3/16", and 1/4" depending on the size of the print. Usually I use 3/16" or 1/8" as they are easy to come by locally. If you have a large print, say 20x30 or larger, you should use 1/4" or even 1/2" (but this is harder to find).
11-14-2008, 02:42 AM   #15

Don't forget to educate the staff at the gallery about your work or have a printed page/flyer explaining your pictures.

This will help the gallery answer some of those curly questions. Plus if someone enjoys your style of work, it could help lead to commision jobs regardless if they do not want any of the actual pictures on display.

Experiment with how to get a 'look at me' reaction to your display. Pending on the nature of the gallery, the space and more it is not something that can be described in a one manner fits all situations. Less is more, crammed with pictures, varying sizes and formats all have their place pending on the circumstances.

Do not be afraid to swap and change the composition of the display too. That way regulars to the gallery find the work refreshed on their next visit and that it does not go stale. It causes people to re-look at the display and it can lead to an expectation and a desire to see more.