Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-18-2020, 11:22 PM - 5 Likes   #1
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Catch-in-Focus for Unattended Shooting

A question came up in a recent comment about how use CiF (catch-in-focus, aka focus-trapping) for unattended shooting and while I was thinking up a response, it occurred to me that it might be good to broaden the audience a bit with a post here and possible expansion at some point to a full article.

Note: This tutorial assumes one already knows how to set up and and use CiF with the desired lenses on one's camera. Troubleshooting for CiF in general is probably a bit out of scope.

How it works:

In short, when the camera is using CiF in continuous shooting mode, exposures will be made at the set rate whenever in-focus is detected for as long as the shutter button is depressed. When using a wired remote or intervalometer, one can leave the shutter depressed for extended periods of time in a manner similar to doing a timed exposure in B mode. An intervalometer provides the advantage of being able to set a firm limit on how long the shutter press will last.

Things to be aware of:
  • There are better ways of doing unattended "event driven" shooting than using CiF in this way, but those require specialized equipment and/or software.
  • There may be many trapped exposures depending on what you are photographing. For example a hummingbird feeder may be quite active.
  • There may be very few trapped exposures on things like a game trail
  • The camera will be ON for the entire session. It might be good to limit sessions to a reasonable time span either by setting a timer for yourself or using an intervalometer.

Preparation and Gear:
  • Your camera should support the following:
    • CiF (duh!)
    • External power (wall outlet or battery pack)
    • Wired remote shutter release
  • Heat and power are potential issues. You will want to configure:
    • Rear display off
    • Top display light off
    • Instant review off
  • Camera and other kit (flash and such) may need protection from weather, people, and animals.
  • You will need a sturdy tripod or other camera support.
  • You will need a wired remote capable of locking the release button in the down position or timing the duration of "button press". I suggest a remote with built-in intervalometer to do the latter. (Yes, I did mention that a third time.)
  • You will need a battery pack or AC adapter capable of powering the camera for the full session.
  • You will need memory cards of sufficient capacity
  • You may need some way to manage heat or cold

Considerations when doing setup, testing, and dry runs:
  • CiF is limited to the center point...sorry.
  • CiF requires light and works better in the bright than in the dim.
  • Prefocus point and exposure settings are important
  • There might be a benefit to taping down the lens focus ring.
  • The camera will not go to sleep as long as the shutter is pressed, but may do so if using an intervalometer. Many models will send a half-press before the full press to wake up the camera, but not all.
  • It may possible to use the IR remote (depends on brand/model) or WiFi tethering, but with the caution of that running those features increases the heat and power load on the camera.
  • CiF may be less precise with a stopped-down manual aperture lens (e.g. M42). DOF applies to the focus trap as well as to the focus screen
  • If the subject lingers, there might be a lot of near duplicate shots
  • Consideration should be given to which of H, M, or L continuous rate settings suits your subject. The L setting may be best for many (most?) subjects.
  • Flash may be your friend if fast recharge is in the mix. Remember heat and power implications associated for the flash. They shut off when overworked or when the battery dies.
  • Framing wide with a longer than "normal" lens (allows greater distance to the subject) might be to your advantage as might shooting other than wide open. One can use a wide angle up close, but trapping may be more sensitive than is useful. It is best to test this out ahead of time.
  • With fast subjects (e.g. birds or small mammals) they may move a fair distance after being focus-trapped and before the shutter fires.
  • If using an intervalometer, be creative with its settings, say multiple short sessions with short interval between for a set number of repetitions.
  • If you don't have time to thoroughly test your setup up, your likelihood of disappointment will be high.

Basic Example: ...in progress...

I think that about does it.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 12-19-2020 at 02:41 AM. Reason: details...details...details...
12-19-2020, 01:18 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Can you give a step by step of how you would set up a shoot? I have an idea but seeing it laid out as an example would help me (and others, maybe) better "visualise" how it's done.

Like your bird feeder example, you'd set up CiF, place camera on tripod. Set focus distance at the feeder? Set the camera to not sleep. Set continuous shooting. Lock the shutter on the wired release. Then walk away til something comes into focus right?
12-19-2020, 02:19 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pkboy Quote
you'd set up CiF, place camera on tripod. Set focus distance at the feeder? Set the camera to not sleep. Set continuous shooting. Lock the shutter on the wired release. Then walk away til something comes into focus right?
That is pretty much it except that you don't have to worry about the camera going to sleep in a simple example such as that. It should capture you walking away and and coming back too, assuming you walk through the point of focus.

Steve
12-19-2020, 03:38 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for the tutorial, I look forward to seeing the results. I have used CIF quite a bit with manual focus lenses, but I haven't tried it in the way you have described.

12-19-2020, 06:16 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

So the idea is, to leave a camera for a longer time - say, looking towards birds feeding area and then come back to check results?
12-19-2020, 12:56 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Belcik Quote
So the idea is, to leave a camera for a longer time - say, looking towards birds feeding area and then come back to check results?
Yes...that is the idea.

I was unable to find the thread, but there was a user here on PF some time back that did this with their hummingbird feeder. The results were impressive and they did not have to park themselves at the feeder to get the shots.

Steve
12-19-2020, 05:44 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Makes sense for that application, I don't think I have the reflexes for that. that's why we have computers

12-08-2021, 03:18 AM   #8

just wanted to mention briefly that I have also used CIF trapping using non-central AF points as well, but only certain lenses allow this. It was a while ago now, I was using the DA* 60-250mm F4 ED (IF) SDM lens. Very useful for birds flying across the screen, you focus at the point they enter the screen and by the time the shot is taken they are central.....