Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2021, 01:33 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Idiots intro to IR on K100d super please

I would like to try out IR this winter. I have read an older k100d super is a good camera to use for this. Luckily, I have one and an IR lens filter. I am utterly clueless about the rest of it. Could somebody kindly outline the steps I need to take or point me to a tutorial?

Thank you.

01-05-2021, 01:35 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Infrared Conversions and Infrared Photography Cameras
01-05-2021, 02:27 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That's a good resource, but I take it the intent here is to use the camera as is. Some cameras pass enough IR to be usable with and IR filter, and i take it this is one of them.

Because the viewfinder will go completely dark with the filter on, and because the K100d super is a CCD camera and therefore doesn't have live view, a tripod will be necessary: compose the image, add the filter, optionally adjust the focus a little bit closer to compensate for the longer wavelengths, take the shot. Exposure times will be long (another reason you'll need a tripod).

For image previewing it is helpful to set a custom white balance as far away from red as possible. Likewise when processing.

Enjoy, it's a fun type of photography. If you decide you like it, it is well worth considering getting a camera converted. Then you can shoot handheld and work with normal shutter speeds.
01-05-2021, 03:00 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I started with a K-3II and a 720 filter. As baro-nite says you need a tripod, very long exposures, and will likely need to focus with the filter off then put it on and take the shot. One potential issue is that the focus on an IR image may be off from a visible light focus setting. So you may have to adjust, which will be trial and error on your camera.

I've since purchased a full spectrum converted K-01, which makes things a lot easier.

Read through the information on the Kolari site, you may end up doing things differently but the info there will get you a base to start from.

01-05-2021, 03:16 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I used to have a K100D Super, and I LOVE infrared photography.

That said, I wasn't a HUGE fan of infrared photography with my K100D Super. But I think it's a fine camera to get started on. Send me a PM and I'll happily send you my modest collection of various "brand X" 52mm IR filters. Some are 720nm IR, one is 840NM, one is (I think) 690nm IR, etc. No charge, but please only take me up on this offer if a 52mm filter is useful to you.

I found the K100D Super did better with IR filters that were lower NM. So the 720nm yielded better results than the 740NM. The "deep infrared" filters of 800+ were just terrible, at least with my setup.

If you do have "no name" IR filters, you can judge the relative strengths of them by looking through them at an old-fashioned incandescent light bulb, or even at a candle flame.

As you probably know already, a tripod is an absolute MUST, and you'd do well to read up on "hyperfocal distance" and maybe get one of the little phone apps that help you calculate it. Also, because of the tripod, the need to focus/compose before putting on the IR filter, the need to take quite a few shots at different settings—you'll be a bit slow. Don't go hiking with impatient people such as my wife.

I heartily recommend IR photography as a hobby...but probably don't invest too heavily on doing it with a DSLR. I adore my Pentax DSLRs, but I truly think a converted, IR-only camera is the better way to go. LifePixel converted an Olympus PEN E-PL5 for me for not much money, and the photos are miles above what I was able to do with a DSLR.
01-05-2021, 06:09 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice so far. Yes, I want to start with the camera as-in. Initially I plan to start with snow covered landscape pics w/ trees or barns, or other objects for the contrast. What should I be using for a custom white balance point? Big question is WTH do I do in processing to get the nice IR "negative" image instead of a red-washed one?
01-05-2021, 06:55 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxian_tmb Quote
What should I be using for a custom white balance point? Big question is WTH do I do in processing to get the nice IR "negative" image instead of a red-washed one?
Base white balance off something green.

If you are after false-color IR, in general you will need to adjust the balance even further away from red. Then if you want the yellow-foliage-blue-skies look, you'll need to swap the red and blue channels.

I did some false-color IR at first, but it didn't take long before I found I prefer monochrome conversions for almost all the IR I shoot.

01-05-2021, 07:01 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
Base white balance off something green.

If you are after false-color IR, in general you will need to adjust the balance even further away from red. Then if you want the yellow-foliage-blue-skies look, you'll need to swap the red and blue channels.

I did some false-color IR at first, but it didn't take long before I found I prefer monochrome conversions for almost all the IR I shoot.
Ok thanks. Final dumb question. I am just using an old copy of PE9.... is there an easy-to-use free program that will allow me to channel swap?
01-05-2021, 07:01 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I use the that dal 18-55 with the 100d. I think my filter is a 820. I use auto focus at f/8 and the dof seems to work. Then convert to b&w.

I started in June and posted some photos in the 6mp club(?). I didn't use it a lot but it works, you are framing blind. I am my phone but will post some link tomorrow
01-05-2021, 07:04 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks...didn't see the tutorial tab at first.
01-05-2021, 07:04 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I have not tried it in the winter
01-06-2021, 06:26 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxian_tmb Quote
Ok thanks. Final dumb question. I am just using an old copy of PE9.... is there an easy-to-use free program that will allow me to channel swap?
I just did a quick search; looks like there are various possible workarounds. Will take some extra fiddling but looks doable.

QuoteOriginally posted by Sidney Porter Quote
I have not tried it in the winter
There's green foliage to be found in winter, and even dried foliage still works. Not that foliage is a requirement for interesting IR, but it helps.