Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2008, 02:48 AM   #1
Forum Member

File transfer

How do you transfer your files from your camera do you use the usb cable supplied or remove the memory card from the camera and use a card reader?

11-17-2008, 03:32 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
I use either. Using the card reader is quickest i think but one of my cards doesnt read right so i use my usb cable for that situation
11-17-2008, 03:51 AM   #3
Veteran Member

If I'm on my main PC I use the USB cable - seems fast enough (and I shoot RAW), but if I've got my laptop awy from home I use its inbuilt card reader as the cable is permanently fixed to my PC). The laptop option is really to backup the images BTW.

Both work about the same, but SD cards, although well protected electrically these days, are still sensitive devices, so removing the card all the time may lead to a problem eventually. I have heard of mishandled SD cards that have scramble their data.....
11-17-2008, 04:24 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I prefer to use the USB cable. It's easy to plug-in and fast enough.

11-17-2008, 05:09 AM   #5
Inactive Account

I usually use a card reader.
11-17-2008, 06:11 AM   #6
Inactive Account

I use a card reader. When I am home I transfer from the card to my desktop and when I am traveling I carry a card reader with my notebook and transfer daily to separate folders to the notebook. When I get home I transfer from the notebook to my desktop using my wireless connection.

Mike
11-17-2008, 06:15 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jdg Quote
How do you transfer your files from your camera do you use the usb cable supplied or remove the memory card from the camera and use a card reader?
I use a card reader and import via Lightroom.

11-17-2008, 09:06 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I can never find my USB cable when I need it, so I use a card reader.
11-17-2008, 11:42 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use the card reader. The USB cable uses battery power in the camera.

One of the posters mentioned that he/she was worried about the card going bad because it is taken on and off the camera too often. Any troubles that resulted from this was because the camera was powered up when the card was removed. Removing and reseating devices with electrical contacts is a standard procedure to keep the contacts clean.
11-17-2008, 12:21 PM   #10
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
I always take the card out and use a reader; I seem to remember reading some horrendous tale of woe that if the camera runs out of battery during transfer.....................................................

It also gives me the chance to rotate the usage of my memory cards and re format them (in the camera) before they go into battle again.
11-17-2008, 12:26 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
One of the posters mentioned that he/she was worried about the card going bad because it is taken on and off the camera too often. Any troubles that resulted from this was because the camera was powered up when the card was removed. Removing and reseating devices with electrical contacts is a standard procedure to keep the contacts clean.
Good point. Also, it seems that if you're looking for things to worry about, I'd worry as much about constantly inserting an removing a USB cable. But that's not why I use a card reader - I do simply because it is easier, faster, and doesn't drain the batteries. Can't really see any advantage to using USB.
11-17-2008, 12:39 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm weird and pull the card and plug it into a portable (battery and/or 110v) Burnaway unit to make a disc--CD for just a few shots, DVD for fuller card. Then use that disc to load images into one or more computers. That gives me a backup copy before bringing the computer(s) into the equation.
11-17-2008, 04:16 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Always a card reader. It's faster and more direct. Plus, I'm not stressing a (probably) small USB connector on my camera.

I've never used the USB cable since the card reader is just so easy/fast.
11-17-2008, 05:41 PM   #14
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Re: CArd Reader or USB Cable

I suppose my answer would be card reader but I've never owned an external card reader. All PCs sold nowadays come with built-in card readers. I just insert the SD card into the appropriate slot on the PC as if it was a floppy diskette.
11-17-2008, 09:52 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Built-in card readers

If you're not afraid of opening up your PC, you can add a built-in card reader for about $15. Just make sure that you get one capable of reading SDHC cards, or you will be limited to 2GB memory cards.

Paul Noble