Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2008, 01:44 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Portrait/Flash question

My wife asked me to take a portrait of her later this week using my K10D. She is looking for business/casual head shot to post on her sports related retail web site. My lens choices are the 18 - 55 kit lens, the DA 55 - 300 and a Pentax "A" 1.4 50MM. I am leaning toward the 50MM. My question is on setting up the flash, I have the Pentax AF360FGZ Flash. I am hoping to use the flash as a remote "filler". I have read and reread about using the flash as a remote but cannot decipher what the manual is talking about.

So, (1) in plain language what do I need to do, buy, borrow or steal to work this flash as a remote in conjunction with the popup flash on the K10D? (2) Assuming I can get the flashes to sync what might be the best position/angle for the remote flash? (Assuming the subject is in the center of a circle and I am shooting from a position at 6 O'Clock)

Thanks

11-17-2008, 02:10 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I do have the 360 as well but unfortunately I dont use it in TTL that much... So I could be off in some details..

But here we go:

1) u dont need to buy anything to use it remotely. The K10D will "talk" with the 360.
2) i do portraits with two crossing flashes, @ 4pm & 8PM. In your case, you have one on-axis and the other remote. I am not sure if the buil-in will participate in the exposure.

The thing I am not sure, is how to use the pop-up as fill flash instead of control-only.

he he he, this thread makes me thing about other questions:

* If I am on M mode, can I still get P-TTL out of the 360/built-in flash?
* How can I get exposure from both built-in + external 360? And how do I choose which is primary/secondary?

Thanks!
11-17-2008, 04:20 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Personally, I'd spoon the flash and do a wall bounce. If you shoot into a well lit corner you can get good wraparound from a shoe mount flash.
This obviates the need to try to figure out how to set up and use off camera flash.
11-17-2008, 05:08 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Just remember that the flash won't work in wireless mode with the original firmware. You need to upgrade the firmware to be able to use the flash in wireless mode.

11-17-2008, 05:13 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BBear Quote

The thing I am not sure, is how to use the pop-up as fill flash instead of control-only.

* How can I get exposure from both built-in + external 360? And how do I choose which is primary/secondary?
In the custom menu, there is a place where it ask if you want to use the pop-up flash as "controller" or "master". In controller mode, it will only trigger the external flash. In master mode, it will be part of the exposure. It's that simple.
11-18-2008, 05:55 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Got to love this forum

Thanks for all the feedback. I'll let you know how it works out.