Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2008, 07:31 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
strange filing on card?

ok,I have always used a card reader to load pictures from the camera, that is until I bought on a wim a 8g card. Only used it a few times and found the card reader could not see it. So I used the K10 USB cable to download the shots. That and I never loaded the Pentax software on my Pc and did for fun to check out tethering. Now ever time I load a card I go to the drive open the file get the DCIM folder than open that normally would get the folder with all the raw files. Now I get files labels 101_1024 inside are the shots from that day. I guess this would be helpful to some but annoying for me. Not just the one file with all the pictures. What could be causing this? I figure it was something in the Pentax software but I removed it entirely because I don't have any use for it. Any thoughts?

Last edited by vievetrick; 11-17-2008 at 07:51 PM.
11-18-2008, 01:12 AM   #2
Veteran Member

If your card reader cannot read the new 8mb SD card, there is a chance the card reader is not SDHC compatible.

As to the change in the folder name, read your manual regarding folder naming convention (K10D - page 196; K20D - page 230). You could have inadvertently changed it.
11-18-2008, 07:17 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I did go through the menus last night to see if anything jumped out and did not notice anthing unusual. I will check the manual tonight.It is not the file names themselves it is the folders being created that never happened. hmm
11-18-2008, 01:54 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
I had a similar problem when I upgraded to a 4GB card, my older PC did not find the card. Problem was fixed when I purchased a SanDisk MobileMate™ SD™ Plus 5-in-1 Reader for $19.99 at Best Buy or Circuit City. Just plug the Reader into a USB port and insert the SD card in the reader and my problem was solved. My PC was a couple of years old but now I have replaced it with a new laptop and do not need the Reader to access the SD card.
Good luck.

11-20-2008, 05:13 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You have uncovered 2 problems, first that HCSD cards can't be read by most older readers. As others have reported some cards come with new readers, set up to be jump drives, and there are new multi readers available.

the second problem you have found is related to the pentax software and photo import function, plus the file naming conventions you set up in your camera.

If you select sequential files, the camera takes sequentially numbered files and places them into the directory on the card

\DCIM\100PENTAX

when you exceed 500 files it starts automatically a new folder 101\pentax\ and efery 500 files it creates another.

the photo software appends the file name with the directory prefix, which is why you see 101_XXXX.

There is, however another format where it creates a new directory every different day you use the camera, and this is the real reason the photo software adds the directory prefix to the file name, This allows photographers reset the file coounter for each day, and use the directory naming to identify days, and sequential photo number ofr the shot of the day