Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2008, 03:05 AM   #1

Shooting post- graduation ceremony

Hi everyone.

I have a friend who is graduating from is PhD in the University of Edinburgh this December.
AFAIK, I wount be able to shoot the actual ceremony inside the Hall, but I'm thinking of shooting before and after: prep'ing, coming out, family and friends group photos...

I want to be there and take lots of pictures as well. If I get any nice ones, I'll print them and offer them to him.

Anyone has advices on how and what to shoot. What kit should I use?
Since this is Scotland, its very very likely its going to be homogeneously grey in the sky or even raining. Its likely its going to be a bit dark so using flash would be really usefull, right?

I've got a K10D, 18-55mm mkII, SMC-A 50mm F1.7, Vivitar 200mm F3.5 (M42), Sigma 70-210mm UCII (poor IQ).

11-18-2008, 12:56 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by edumad Quote
Anyone has advices on how and what to shoot. What kit should I use?
Since this is Scotland, its very very likely its going to be homogeneously grey in the sky or even raining. Its likely its going to be a bit dark so using flash would be really usefull, right?
Yes, that or available light with your A50/1.7 if you feel OK about your manual focus skills and don't mind shallow DOF and perhaps high ISO.
11-18-2008, 04:43 PM   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
So what are you saying exactly, about our weather?
11-18-2008, 05:59 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Didn't know you had rain in Scotland...

11-19-2008, 01:27 AM   #5

Original Poster
Its not so much rain as it is drizle. If it was proper rain like we have in Portugal, it'd end at some point in the day. But here no, it just keeps on pouring, hour after hour the whole day long if need be...
The really bad thing about the weather here is when you get a complete grey in the sky, very depressing...
But I do love the scenery, as my 7 trips to Skye (in 2 years), plus others can atest. This apparentely is allot, as it seemed to cause alarm in my supervisor, it seems we are not supposed to have this much fun...
11-19-2008, 02:57 PM   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
The grey sky is there to save you the trouble of creating a B&W layer in Photoshop, see we Scots think of everything for photographers.

Great landscapes and labour saving PP in CS3.