Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2008, 11:13 AM   #1

What to watch as black friday approaches?

This is the first black friday that I've been looking for photography equipment. Where should I be looking on Friday morning for bargains?

I know that for computer gear, sites like Dell Coupons, Discount Computer Sale, Buy Cheap Digital Camera, Cheap Laptop, Best Buy do a great job of aggregating good deals. Is there anything similar for cameras? Are there typically bargains to be had for Pentax gear on black friday?

Jonathan

11-18-2008, 02:15 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm a big fan of Black Friday (well, more of a spectator), but I've never really noticed any of the camera stores having anything special. It's more the big box stores (Circuit City may have some great deals as they're trying to stave off death) might have some photo equipment, or photo-related equipment (printers, memory cards, etc).

I'd check placed like Fry's, Best Buy, Circuit City, Walmart, Target, etc. to see if they have the random photo item in their list. They all sell varying degrees of photo equipment and you might find the hidden gold nugget in the madness.

I still think the surest bet is to look for things that improve your overall photo experience, such as memory, printers, ink, paper, frames, or Playstation 3.
11-18-2008, 02:43 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think the 'Black' in Black Friday is going to take on a whole new meaning this year ;(
11-18-2008, 07:31 PM   #4

Being a big fan of black friday... you might try this link to view all the sale ads for
Thursday-Sat. Black Friday @ GottaDeal.com - 2008 Black Friday Ads - Official Black Friday Deals Site
Sign up for their emails and next year you will get email updates as they get the major stores ads.

11-18-2008, 10:49 PM   #5
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by isin2rt Quote
Being a big fan of black friday... you might try this link to view all the sale ads for
Thursday-Sat. Black Friday @ GottaDeal.com - 2008 Black Friday Ads - Official Black Friday Deals Site
Sign up for their emails and next year you will get email updates as they get the major stores ads.
Wow! That's an excellent site. Now I can map out my plan of attack 10 days in advance. Thanks for passing that on!
11-18-2008, 11:10 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
.... (Circuit City may have some great deals as they're trying to stave off death) ....
I love that phrase "..stave off death..."

anyway. B&H is supposed to be doing something for black-friday. I saw something in an e-mail about it, and so is amazon. I'm personally watching amazon's prices on the DA* and the FA lenses...yum...

Black Friday @ GottaDeal.com - 2008 Black Friday Ads - Official Black Friday Deals Site is a great site. I've looked at it and it's pretty neat.

-Yale
11-18-2008, 11:40 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Black Friday Sales

Being heathens in Aus we don't celebrate Thanksgiving, so we don't have the Black Friday sales, however Boxing Day is another thing - most large stores open very early for the largest sales of the year - everybody hoping to pick up bargains on items not sold for Xmas.

Anyway a bit of useless info for those on the other side of the pond.

regards & enjoy Black Friday.

Kevin

11-19-2008, 12:40 AM   #8

i m on Black Friday Ads - The Official Black Friday 2008 Website mailing list for two years now, i believe they even receive legal threats from some company last year and they had to take down a couple black friday ads......
11-19-2008, 11:16 AM   #9

Check Dealnews.com

I check Dealnews.com every day; it aggregates the specials from the above-named retailers, as well as online-only merchants.

Mark
11-19-2008, 11:43 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Watch your recession-proof wallet.
11-19-2008, 12:19 PM   #11
Veteran Member

From the deals that have been announced and all I've been hearing, this year's Black Friday is just a waste of time. The deals a re poor compared to years before, many stores are already haveing sales on many items. Walmart and sears and others had already big sales in the past couple weeks and others are going on as we speak. Oh, never realyy noticed a single good deal on photo stuff during black friday...

edit: I'll be most likely getting the sandisk ultra2 8gb card at circuit city. Not sure if the ultra 2 is that much faster than the normal 8gb cards and those are only $15...

http://bfads.net/SanDisk-Ultra-II-SDHC-8GB-High-Performance-Memory-Card-at-Circuit-City

Last edited by dave sz; 11-19-2008 at 12:25 PM.
11-19-2008, 12:48 PM   #12

The deal on this year is horrible compare to the past years. i guess it's the bad economic. but i haven't see any good deal on camera, specially on DSLR. and never see any on Pentax.

here is my favor site for deal, they also have the BF section, check it out:

Black Friday - *************** Forums
11-20-2008, 01:17 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Black Friday Ads 2008 - Western Digital 750GB External Hard Drive at Target
This could prove to be the only time I have ever shopped the day after Thanksgiving.
11-20-2008, 01:56 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Seriously, the microsoft cashback on ebay (curently 25% off) has been far better to me and many others re: camera equipment than any Black Friday sales could be. For example, in recent weeks, I've picked up a like-new K200D for $300, brand new DA 70mm for $260, and like-new 50-135mm for $450.

No e/retailer could touch those prices, and frankly, I hardly ever see any dramatic sales on Pentax lenses. The good primes and the good zooms are fairly consistent in their pricing--I doubt that will change on Black Friday.
11-25-2008, 05:33 PM   #15
nah

I saw on the Walmart USA site that they had a deal on the K20D.