Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-19-2008, 06:53 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Camera Stabilization

Please forgive me if this has been posted here before......
I just ran across a video that shows a cheap way to stabilize the camera.... Its pretty darn smart..... here is the link:

$1 Image Stabilizer For Any Camera - Lose The Tripod - Video

11-19-2008, 08:41 PM   #2
Pentaxian

That was posted some time ago. I think it has marginal uses, but it won't replace a good tripod or monopod.
11-20-2008, 03:37 AM   #3
Veteran Member

That idea has been around a long time. I have one that I made, but rather than using string, I used lightweight chain.

My chainpod sits in the bottom of a compartment of my backpack, waiting for the moment when I will actually need it.

Which so far, in three years, has never happened.

Last edited by MPrince; 11-20-2008 at 03:38 AM. Reason: corrected spelling! twice!!
11-20-2008, 03:42 AM   #4
Syb
Veteran Member

However, I like the idea. It is creative, easy to make and may turn out to be effective. It is small so it will fit my stacked camera bag. And, last but not least, it will be incredibly cheap for an enhancement tool for my pictures. This is a "hey, why not?"-thing....

11-20-2008, 03:53 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Syb Quote
However, I like the idea. It is creative, easy to make and may turn out to be effective. It is small so it will fit my stacked camera bag. And, last but not least, it will be incredibly cheap for an enhancement tool for my pictures. This is a "hey, why not?"-thing....
Oh, I agree 100%. I've never used mine, yet I haven't discarded it, it remains in my bag.

Because, you know, one day I might need it.

And it doesn't take up much space. If you use string, it won't weigh anything, and even the chain doesn't make any kind of weight difference.
11-20-2008, 04:32 AM   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Hey, by all means give it whirl, for me for quickness and for use in areas with restrictions. I find that a monopod offers the extra stability I require with bigger fast glass.
11-20-2008, 01:23 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
we had a lot of fun discussing this in the accessories forum a while back.

I'm not so sure you want to go there and look however.

11-20-2008, 01:43 PM   #8
Veteran Member

if you ever get stranded and need a lasso...
11-20-2008, 02:10 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
we had a lot of fun discussing this in the accessories forum a while back.

I'm not so sure you want to go there and look however.
I dont remember this topic.. was it informative or not? From your tone, it does not sound like a very productive discussion...
11-20-2008, 02:14 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BBear Quote
I dont remember this topic.. was it informative or not? From your tone, it does not sound like a very productive discussion...
there are 3 types of people when it comes to this caveman camera stabalization

"wow i'm gonna go do that"

"haha thats funny" <----- i'm part of this group

"that man is an idiot and i hope he hurts himself with that contraption, its not funny, it doesnt work, the rest of you are hooligans, vote mccain, drink more lemonade, and someone please, find my pants"

11-20-2008, 02:28 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BBear Quote
i think that is all a function of whether you were looking for a good laugh or not. if not, you would be very disappointed.

The idea has some merit, in the same way as good technique tells you to lean n trees, use poles to steady your camera etc, but from a practical point it is a real hazard to get caught on things, and pull the camera oout of your hands.