Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-29-2021, 05:04 PM   #1

How to increase pixels when shooting photos of artwork?

Hello,

I am using a pentax k10d with a da-40mm lens. I am trying to capture photos of artwork on a tripod outdoors (no glass, etc).

My question is, how can I increase the amount of pixels in the image? I have been using the green mode and getting photo file dimensions of about 2500x 3800. However, I am trying to get a size more like 10,000x 12,000.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

03-29-2021, 05:10 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Assuming your goal is to increase the effective resolution (rather than just up-sampling the file, which is trivial), you can take each photo multiple times and stack them using special software. This is a technique known as "super resolution".

Modern Pentax bodies (K-1 and newer) actually support this feature natively. Rather than increasing the pixel count, however, the sensor moves around to improve pixel-level detail. More details can be found below:

How Pentax Pixel Shifting Works - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

Of course, upgrading to a higher-resolution sensor would also be an option in your case.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-29-2021, 06:35 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ashley_2021 Quote
Hello,

I am using a pentax k10d with a da-40mm lens. I am trying to capture photos of artwork on a tripod outdoors (no glass, etc).

My question is, how can I increase the amount of pixels in the image? I have been using the green mode and getting photo file dimensions of about 2500x 3800. However, I am trying to get a size more like 10,000x 12,000.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
The 'simple' way would be to take two or four shots (halves/quarters) and combine as if stitching a panorama. Not that hard given today's software. Takes a bit of care in setting up but is readily doable.
03-29-2021, 06:35 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

how can I increase the amount of pixels in the image?
In addition to Adams suggestions you could shoot the artwork in segments and merge the images on the computer to construct an image of almost any size. I have an acquaintance who commonly shoots landscapes by taking 30 or more images and merging them to achieve the pixel size he wants.

Upgrading to a newer and higher resolution sensor would be one way to improve but still would not achieve the number of pixels you are looking for. Even the new 100mp chips are only in the 12,000 x 9,000 range.

03-29-2021, 06:39 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You can’t in camera, but as marines you can take many small photos of the work with a overlap between them. This then is fed into a software program that can merge images into one large image with higher resolution.

Of course a more modern sensor with higher resolution can create even larger files using the same number of images. Adding pixel shift will increase color accuracy as well.
03-29-2021, 06:41 PM   #6

Photos: Gallery
Have you considered getting closer and capturing portions of the artwork, then merging / stitching them together with software?
Sorry, this has been suggested several times already. Guess I’m a slow typer!
03-29-2021, 07:27 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A possible problem with taking multiple images and stitching is that you need absolutely identical lighting conditions or you will spend hours trying to make them match. Since you are doing it outdoors, that can be tricky. Alignment is also critical between shots.

Thanks,

03-29-2021, 09:48 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
A possible problem with taking multiple images and stitching is that you need absolutely identical lighting conditions or you will spend hours trying to make them match. Since you are doing it outdoors, that can be tricky. Alignment is also critical between shots.

Thanks,
Most photomerge software allows for misalignments. The trick is to leave lots of space around the periphery, to account for that.
03-29-2021, 09:55 PM   #9
Pentaxian

At least the DA 40 gives a nice even rendition across the frame.
03-29-2021, 11:08 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
A possible problem with taking multiple images and stitching is that you need absolutely identical lighting conditions or you will spend hours trying to make them match. Since you are doing it outdoors, that can be tricky.
Since you are using a tripod, I would STRONGLY suggest going indoors to avoid this problem. You can use whatever exposure length works. Use manual exposure to make sure each image has the same exposure. Make sure your white balance is set!

If you wind up doing mosaics, it might be better to use a longer focal length lens if you have one. The images will be "flatter," so stitching might work better.
03-29-2021, 11:26 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Hello,

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Is there any particular reason you need this crazy high resolution? Or may it be that the images you capture are not sharp enough and you want to compensate that with more pixels?

Before adding more pixels it might be a good idea to optimize the workflow for best image quality.
- Take the camera out of the green mode, as camera might not choose optimal settings for a critical job like this.
- Make sure you use exposure settings optimized for highest resolution Aperture f/5.6 - f/8 is probably best aperture for highest resolution on DA40.
- Make sure the camera is not moving during capture by using mirror up fuction (2 sec timer) and cable release.
- Use spot focus and select best place to fucus on. You may want to try to focus on different spots to make sure you nail the focus. A camera with live view had been better so you could confirm that focus is correctly set on the rear screen.
- If capturing a flat surface, make sure the camera is completely perpendicular both horisontal and vertical toward the surface you want to capture so the whole surface is in focus.
- Jpegs from K10D are a bit soft so you can gain in image quality by shooring RAW format and process them on a computer.

Last edited by Fogel70; 03-29-2021 at 11:45 PM.
03-30-2021, 12:38 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My question is, how can I increase the amount of pixels in the image?
Why do you need 10kx12k pixels ? What are you going to do with the picture file ?
03-30-2021, 01:01 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Ashley, welcome to the forum. I think that your options are limited with the K10D. Super-resolution stacking methods rely on being hand-held rather than being on a tripod as the method relies on small movements between frames. Your only real opportunities come with shooting raw and stitching, as others have said.

For minimal outlay, you could upgrade to a used K-3 which would take you from 10Mp to 24Mp (6000x4000 pixels) and would also give you critical focussing in live view - important in this kind of work.

Pixel-shift in the newer cameras gives more clarity, and the newest version of Adobe Camera Raw/Photoshop adds a software super-resolution mode that increases effective pixels. It all depends on whether you want to upgrade or do the best you can with your current camera.
03-30-2021, 04:29 AM   #14
Pentaxian

How big is the artwork ?
03-30-2021, 06:11 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote
Hi Super-resolution stacking methods rely on being hand-held rather than being on a tripod as the method relies on small movements between frames.
Is this a typo?

Some cameras allow handheld sensor shifted images but all of the sensor shifting cameras allow for tripod use. Motion outside of the shifting sensor causes artifacts and it is generally preferred to use a tripod rather than shooting handheld when making this type of image.