Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-20-2008, 11:00 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
AF problem? K20D with 16-50 and other lenses

I was testing my setup today because I have a photoshoot later this afternoon.
I tried it with my 50-135 and 50 1.4 too... similar results... the only one that didnt do this was my 35 ltd

my test subject here is a little bud of some sort on the bush of some sort right outside the front door of my mother's house.

the picture I have attached was shot with my 16-50, @ 16 and opened...
the AF fired red *FOCUSED ON THE GROUP OF WHITE FLOWERS IN THE CENTER** and I followed through on the shutter release...

so I want to know if I am making an error, the camera/lens is making an error, or I need something different to test my AF... because it looks like everything around the flower was in focus but the camera "focused" on the white flowers...

Ive tried test charts and its a little hard to use a test chart @ 16mm focal length so I decided to use something real.

here is the picture. I will appreciate suggestions!!

thank you in advance!

view the exif data http://regex.info/exif.cgi?url=http%3A%2F%2Fimg508.imageshack.us%2Fimg508%2F...062testue9.jpg

download the large version MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

Attached Images

Last edited by 247nino; 11-20-2008 at 11:31 AM.
11-20-2008, 03:27 PM   #2
Damn Brit

Looks like a little camera shake to me. Have you done this test on a tripod?
11-20-2008, 04:12 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looks to me that you have BF/FF problem with that lens

I noticed that you are using center point AF, the sharpness however appears to be two third up the middle. You might want to try the test again using a larger object as your focus point and determine whether it is a backfocus or frontfocus problem. Since the shutter speed is 1/160, you should be able to lock in focus hand-held without any problem.

By the way, flowers coming out of the jade plant is very rear in this part of the country (i.e. true North - Canada).
11-20-2008, 05:41 PM   #4
Veteran Member

You need to use a *much* less "busy" target. The center focus point is pretty large - realistically, it could have focused on just about anything there. The nice thing about focus charts is that they give the camera a completely unambiguous focus target, but yeah, wide angle lenses are tough to use that way.

But you'll need something similar - where there is nothing just above or to the side of the thing you are focusing on, but stuff further out toward the sides to check the results with.

11-21-2008, 02:53 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the input guys,
Im thinkin that the bunch of flowers was indeed a busy target...

I dont think I had any focus problems...
just a bit of bad exposure once I tried shooting near some train tracks in total darkness.. even two flashes at full power couldnt give me the light I needed.

heres a sample from my shoot today, just a playful shot with my bicycle and my friend...

oh and one of me
11-21-2008, 09:52 AM   #6
Veteran Member

yep, the focus area is bigger than a spot, your camera has focused perfectly on the area around the flowers. Try refocussing until it looks right in future.