Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-23-2008, 03:48 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Frank HELP!!! IR

Woe is me.
I was so happy with my K100D which Frank's friend in China converted to IR for me that I bought a brand new K10D and sent it to Spencer's in Utah for conversion. The first time it came back there were a number of issues, most notably was that the "on/off" switch did not work. I sent it back to Spencer's, and now I have it back again. The "on/off" switch works, but "Av", Tv" and most other settings do not wotk--I can barely get any images at all. I am awaiting Spencer's response, but unless I am a complete idiot (always a distinct possibility), I think I am through with them
I have written to Pentax USA, but even at my expense, and at my risk, I think they will decline to work on the camera.
Frank,
Would your friend consider tackling this problem? (I am very happy with the IR "filter" Spencer installed.)
If not, is there anyone out there who could tackle this repair or re-program problem for me?
Anyone else have any suggestions?
Thanks for any help.
Jack

11-23-2008, 04:17 PM   #2
Damn Brit

Franks friend joined the forum recently, here's the thread he posted with prices.

Last edited by Damn Brit; 11-23-2008 at 04:23 PM.
11-23-2008, 07:01 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Gary.
On my screen, there is no link as you mentioned.
Jack
11-23-2008, 07:59 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Lei Yun is the one who did the IR conversions, mine included.
Link is here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographers-marketplace/41734-ir-only-k...ter-built.html

Shouldn't Spencer's from Utah make right the problem, after all they were the ones who opened up the camera and did the conversion. If they botched the job, it is only right they rectify the mistake.

11-23-2008, 08:38 PM   #5
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by pntxjack Quote
Thanks Gary.
On my screen, there is no link as you mentioned.
Jack
Damn, I always forget to paste after I've copied.
11-24-2008, 07:25 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
creampuff,
Thanks for the link.
I am afraid to return the camera again, so I am going to eat it with Spencer's (unless he points out some idiotic oversight on my part) and try to find someone else to fix this thing.
Jack
11-24-2008, 07:26 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Gary,
Either we are related, or you are getting as old as I am--you forgot again.
I have the link now--thanks for trying.
Jack

11-24-2008, 08:12 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I am an idiot. I ordered Spencer's "B&W" filter. (830nm) That filter apparently requires 2 stops of added exposure. I have done that. I can not see much of an image at all in my LCD, but according to Spencer's, that is how it works. In Photo Shop and Paint Shop Pro, there is an image that I can recover by boosting the brightness.
So, advice to all: if you do this conversion, order a filter with a number smaller that 830nm.
Jack
11-25-2008, 01:43 AM   #9
Damn Brit

Gary,
Either we are related, or you are getting as old as I am--you forgot again.
I have the link now--thanks for trying.
Jack
I've been like that since I was born I think.
Actually on this occasion, I saw that Denis had already posted it. So I decided to save some ink.
11-25-2008, 02:53 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
So I decided to save some ink.
11-25-2008, 03:39 AM   #11
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by flyer Quote

Can I help you with something?
11-25-2008, 08:05 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I am an idiot. I ordered Spencer's "B&W" filter. (830nm) That filter apparently requires 2 stops of added exposure. I have done that. I can not see much of an image at all in my LCD, but according to Spencer's, that is how it works. In Photo Shop and Paint Shop Pro, there is an image that I can recover by boosting the brightness.
So, advice to all: if you do this conversion, order a filter with a number smaller that 830nm.
Jack
Maybe i'm missing something here, but if you have a converted camera to IR, why do you need a filter.

BTW, i picked up a converted Canon G3 for a decent sum, back in June. Does a great job.
The guy who does this, was a bit sloppy and some dust on the filter, but its usually in the sky, so an easy clone out.
'
Dave
11-25-2008, 08:24 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Jack
If I remember correctly, you shouldn't need a filter over the lens. Did they not add a visible light filter to the sensor as I would assume they should. I take it they just removed the IR blocking filter off the sensor (and possibly the other filters in the "sandwich" such as the AA filter).
As much as it would be nice to pick and choose the cutoff filter you want, it seems to defeat the purpose of being able to actually "see" what your focusing on.....
That's what I thought they did:
Per website:
Spencer's Camera can convert your digital camera to Infrared by removing the internal Low-Pass Filter (Hot Filter) over the imaging sensor and replace it with an Infrared Filter, enabling you to capture infrared photos with your own camera. This allows you to see through the lens, frame your shot, and capture images just like a normal camera but with the dramatic results of infrared photography.
11-25-2008, 05:16 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I may have caused some confusion by using the word "filter" loosely. Spencer's removed the IR blocker and replaced it with an 830nanometer ????
I have put the camera on full "M" mode. I am up to about +5 stops and beginning to see signs of life on my LCD monitor. All else with the conversion seems A OK.
Jack
11-25-2008, 07:27 PM   #15
Damn Brit

You should have thought about getting a Sigma, the IR filter is easy to remove and put back because it covers as the dust seal. I think you can pick them up for $500