Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-12-2021, 09:52 AM - 2 Likes   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There is no real perfect solution.

The long exposure approach is essentially the only technique that will blend the individual frames together without problems, since each of the individual frames has the motion blurred to the extent that they will blend and stitch together very nicely (the details have essentially been removed).

The stitching utility will also matter. The free ones will always have problems (MS ICE is no longer available, and probably would not solve the problems). LR and PS will work better to varying degrees, especially PS where you might be able to blend the scenes manually using translucent layers.

However, probably the best stitching utility currently is PTGui, which will afford you some additional manual control via masking to move the stitches around (thereby being able to select the specific content of each frame to use within the resulting image). Also, I would suggest using PTGui's exposure blending option - that should help a great deal. A person over on PTGui's forum suggested stitching, but when saving - export via the PhotoShop large format option, and within the export panel, specify that within the PS format, to preserve the layering - i.e., export with layers. In this respect you will then import the file into PS, but import the image file as a smart object (which will preserve both the layers intact but aligned, and allow you to perform additional post processing on each layer). You can then blend various area adjusting the amount of layer transparency of each layer to try to additionally blend the two water/wave areas together. You can also additionally blur areas with the various available tools.

An additional capability within PTGui is its ability to stitch individual images taken with different focal lengths. As others have indicated, you could then shoot the water features with a wide angle lens, and the landscape or other elements with other focal lengths to capture the details. In this way you would be removing the interaction of the wave patterns on the water.

A Scottsman down in New Zealand shoots landscapes (lots of water and beaches) with his 645Z using stitched panoramas with longer focal lengths for additional detail. Then printing the images very large with excellent detail and colors as fine art prints. He uses the long exposure approach to perfectly blend the water details across frames. He has a youtube channel - Ewan Dunsmuir Images and has his own website. He has not really provided how he stitches, but with the long exposures, I doubt that he has to do anything special.

Last edited by interested_observer; 05-12-2021 at 10:03 AM.
05-12-2021, 09:54 AM - 1 Like   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
You just need to take the series of photos to be stitched quickly enough so that the waves are essentially motionless.

Get a K-3 Mark III. Set it up for 1/8000th shutter speed, and high speed drive mode. Flip your lawnmower upside down and bolt the camera to the mower blade. Really need to be sure the camera/lens center of mass is centered on the blade. Secure the mower in its inverted orientation to the beach. Start it up, get the camera spinning at 1000 rpm or whatever. Remotely trigger a burst of 20 or 30 shots. Turn off mower, stitch together panorama. Easy.
make sure the mower is a 2cycle and not a 4 cycle. You want to make sure the engine remains lubricated while inverted
05-12-2021, 12:10 PM - 1 Like   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
MS ICE is no longer available, and probably would not solve the problems
Wow I did not know that. That is rather unfortunate as it was a good tool for stitching things.
05-12-2021, 12:10 PM - 1 Like   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

MS ICE is no longer available, and probably would not solve the problems
Wow I did not know that. That is rather unfortunate as it was a good tool for stitching things.

05-12-2021, 02:59 PM - 1 Like   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
It didn't do absolutely everything perfectly, but it did handle about 80% of normal stuff very well. I have no idea as to why they pulled it. I had to get a new laptop, and as I was reloading it with everything, I needed to download a new copy of ICE and ---- it was gone....

05-12-2021, 03:11 PM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
T(MS ICE is no longer available
It looks like it's just changed to V2. It's still available for download on the Microsoft site:

Image Composite Editor - Microsoft Research

Edit: My bad, that page exists, but the download buttons go nowhere...
05-12-2021, 03:52 PM - 1 Like   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
You just need to take the series of photos to be stitched quickly enough so that the waves are essentially motionless.

Get a K-3 Mark III. Set it up for 1/8000th shutter speed, and high speed drive mode. Flip your lawnmower upside down and bolt the camera to the mower blade. Really need to be sure the camera/lens center of mass is centered on the blade. Secure the mower in its inverted orientation to the beach. Start it up, get the camera spinning at 1000 rpm or whatever. Remotely trigger a burst of 20 or 30 shots. Turn off mower, stitch together panorama. Easy.
This is fun, but it might not be as silly as it sounds.

I use a servo motor to drive my pano head. Mine is programmed to stop-and-go for frame-by-frame panos. But there is no reason why you couldn’t make a similar set-up that moves continually while firing your camera rapidly.

05-12-2021, 04:59 PM - 3 Likes   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
De ICE stitcher is no longer available via Microsoft but it can still be downloaded from web.archive.org (WayBack Machine).
V 2.0.3 is the last version.

ICE 64 bit
Wayback Machine

ICE 32 bit
Wayback Machine
05-13-2021, 02:54 PM - 1 Like   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kobayashi.K Quote
De ICE stitcher is no longer available via Microsoft but it can still be downloaded from web.archive.org (WayBack Machine).
V 2.0.3 is the last version.
Nice, Time to grab copies and toss them on the NAS just incase.
06-19-2021, 07:40 PM - 1 Like   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by madbrain Quote
Use multiple cameras at different angles.. And shoot exactly at the same time with the remote control. There, solved it.
Or a single camera but spin really fast
06-20-2021, 11:26 PM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sidney Porter Quote
make sure the mower is a 2cycle and not a 4 cycle. You want to make sure the engine remains lubricated while inverted
Or get an electric one. I think it is really thoughtful to mention that it is important to balance the camera-lens combo. Otherwise you could have some unwanted vibrations and we wouldn't want that, would we?
04-02-2022, 03:20 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Apart from what has already been mentioned I would see if Microsoft Image Composite Editor (MS ICE) could handle the stitching and blending. For this type of shot I would want to have lots of overlap where most spots in the final image have 2 or 3 input images covering the location. After that I would probably be spending a lot of time with the clone/heal brush cleaning up artefacts that are left over.

Microsoft ICE has also its limits (or I did not fire fast enough...). about 5 pictures, missed one transition. Maybe i should cut off the foreground ...

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
 Photo 
04-15-2022, 03:14 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mlag Quote
Microsoft ICE has also its limits (or I did not fire fast enough...). about 5 pictures, missed one transition. Maybe i should cut off the foreground ...
There is a solution, which I tested with PTGUI and Hugin. The solution consists of using a single camera with a zoom lens, positioned to rotate around its optical center to avoid parallax errors, classic panoramic setup. But before capturing several frames for the panorama composite, zoom-out to capture the whole panorama in one exposure, including playing with shutter speed to capture water ripples. Secondly, zoom-in the lens to capture multiple frames to panorama stitching. Import all files in stitching software and use a mask to reveal either the high resolution detail from the "zoomed-in" exposures, or to reveal moving elements from the "zoomed-out" exposure. PTGUI seems to work fine with that combination. Hugin gets confused into "thinking" it has to deal with an HDR panorama, and it expects different levels of exposure for the overlapping frames.
04-15-2022, 06:32 AM   #29
Pentaxian

If you really need to stitch a moving scene the only method I can think of is to have two or more of the same camera with the same lens (and all the same settings) all set up on a tripod to take overlapping images at exactly the same time. It would be a lot of expense and effort and simply buying one of the high-resolution FF cameras available now would be a lot easier, and maybe cheaper.
04-15-2022, 08:48 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
If you really need to stitch a moving scene the only method I can think of is to have two or more of the same camera with the same lens (and all the same settings) all set up on a tripod to take overlapping images at exactly the same time.
There is some idea, that I tried to implement, but the parallax for close objects is really a problem for putting images back together in post (it's not a clean workflow). Advantage of using a single camera workflow is the elimination of parallax errors, while still being able to capture motion with the lens zoomed out (nodal point doesn't change much with zoom on my 28-105 and 70-210), although one camera workflow requires some visualization, thinking and planning prior to starting exposures, and still some cases of moving scenes can't be covered (e.g moving steam locomotive where the locomotive itself is where I want the details...). So, you are right, the best is to get a bigger camera (GFX100S ?), I'm not going to re-invent the wheel in 2022, there were already panoramic film camera such as 6x17, which have no digital equivalent today. The cheaper solution is to go back to film, medium format or large format, some people have done it.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 04-15-2022 at 08:57 AM.