Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-25-2008, 10:01 AM   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Ben:
I have long admired your work and also many here on the forum. I said it last week and I'll continue to say it not only the quality of work done, but also the friendships that grow here thanks to their work and their direction. To all of our members ( or do I say family) thank you for the inspiration and knowledge you all share.

11-25-2008, 11:00 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
I have no idea yet what it is that I do, but if I ever figure it out I aspire to be the Benjamin Kanarek or Marc Langille of it. Having truly talented folks like those and many other of our friends around certainly gives the rest of us inspiration, without which mere know-how (which we also get in abundance here) would be pretty useless.
I agree that Ben and Marc are exceptional at what they produce, but you my friend (along with others such as jsherman, jamonation, nesster, Igillian, et. al,) are much too modest about your own talents. All of you are willing to share your knowledge, and in fact, even offer to let someone unknown borrow a lens, and sometimes even a camera. That, to me, is amazing! Because of your postings on threads such as the Tak one, some of us "newbies" are starting to pick up these fine lens (lenses?). I myself have recently picked up 5 on ebay at a very cheap price, and I am "watchin" about 10 others. There is such a wealth of talent and knowledge on this forum.
11-25-2008, 01:08 PM   #18
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Indeed there are many newer members also posting some spectacular images.
There is certainly a lot of talent out there.
11-25-2008, 01:38 PM   #19

At the risk of sounding self congratulatory, I'd like to give an explanation for the better than average quality of images posted here- the guy who goes and picks up a Pentax (D)SLR from a store, without giving the other brands a second glance, definitely has to have a better than average knowledge of photography. And this forum is filled with guys like that!

11-25-2008, 02:29 PM   #20
Inactive Account

The tried and true method of raising the bar on your performance by surrounding yourself by those better than you never held true more than in photography, me thinks.

It's only through that cycle of trying, seeing, and showing over and over that pushes our ability to improve and learn.

Great work everyone!
11-25-2008, 10:49 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Coming from a professional like yourself, Ben, comments like you make here are so much encouragement to us all.
Your work is something, which many of us only dream of, but it gives something to aspire to.

Many many thanks, on behalf of all, (especially all us Aussies, I am sure)
11-26-2008, 03:56 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cardinal43 Quote
I agree that Ben and Marc are exceptional at what they produce, but you my friend (along with others such as jsherman, jamonation, nesster, Igillian, et. al,) are much too modest about your own talents.
I am reminded of Merle Haggard's reflections on the guitar playing of Grady Martin:

'I remember when Grady played a guitar part on a song of mine called A Place To Fall Apart. He took one whack at it, and (acclaimed guitarist Roy Nichols) was there with me at the soundboard. We knew what he played was great, but I looked at Roy and said, 'Roy, I believe me or you might could have played that?' Roy said, 'Maybe now we could, but not until after that son of a bitch played it. 'Cause he just showed us how.' ''

I'm under no delusions that anything I do is great and I firmly believe that anybody can do anything I can do. If I can sometimes show somebody how, I'm happy and honored to have the opportunity to do so.

11-26-2008, 04:17 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Its hard to add anything to what has been said, but the images displayed here are inspiring - and have got me trying new things again. If nothing else, a positive community sharing great images can only advance all of us.....

Having been interested in the process and art of photography for many years, its a pleasure to see the work of others who share the passion! I belong to some other technical (non-photography) forums, but the opportunity to participate with a group of artistic, articulate people brings me back here more often.
11-29-2008, 02:42 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
I have no idea yet what it is that I do, but if I ever figure it out I aspire to be the Benjamin Kanarek or Marc Langille of it. Having truly talented folks like those and many other of our friends around certainly gives the rest of us inspiration, without which mere know-how (which we also get in abundance here) would be pretty useless.
QuoteOriginally posted by cardinal43 Quote
I agree that Ben and Marc are exceptional at what they produce, but you my friend (along with others such as jsherman, jamonation, nesster, Igillian, et. al,) are much too modest about your own talents. All of you are willing to share your knowledge, and in fact, even offer to let someone unknown borrow a lens, and sometimes even a camera. That, to me, is amazing! Because of your postings on threads such as the Tak one, some of us "newbies" are starting to pick up these fine lens (lenses?). I myself have recently picked up 5 on ebay at a very cheap price, and I am "watchin" about 10 others. There is such a wealth of talent and knowledge on this forum.
Mike, I had no idea I was held in such regard. Thank you both for the very, very kind words! While I appreciate them, it's the beauty that surrounds us in everyday life and nature that I wish to bring forward - it's not about me... I'd rather others get the "fast track" on tips/ideas/learning from the mistakes I've made. I've made more than a few, and I am certain there are many more mistakes to make!

It is folks like Ben who inspire us, and folks like Mike who keep us humble with their generosity in many ways... and there are many people in both categories!

There are also many folks who frequent this forum who serve to inspire me with their images, thoughts, personal trials and love of photography. We are all humans with strengths and weaknesses. A sincere thank you for sharing, and well done to all of you....

Sincerely,
Marc
11-30-2008, 03:12 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MoiVous Quote
Its hard to add anything to what has been said, but the images displayed here are inspiring - and have got me trying new things again. If nothing else, a positive community sharing great images can only advance all of us.....

Having been interested in the process and art of photography for many years, its a pleasure to see the work of others who share the passion! I belong to some other technical (non-photography) forums, but the opportunity to participate with a group of artistic, articulate people brings me back here more often.
Tank U. I is ART I CULL ATE dat is tru. I lyke to take pitchers and I sumtymes lyke to do pitchers ov udder tings two. I reed a book wonce but i couldn't match da colors to da numberz. I cum here ufton cuz I wanna becum a righter and espress myself thru pitchers and words.

Tanx again

Ben
11-30-2008, 11:24 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Another satisfied cusstumer of Hooked on Fonix!
11-30-2008, 12:00 PM   #27
Inactive Account

Well said Ben - I always look forward to viewing the photos posted on this forum and the knowledge gained by studying them and reading the comments by members.

In order not to shed any possible doubt in your comment about the talent on this forum, I will refrain from posting any of my photos.
11-30-2008, 06:07 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Tank U. I is ART I CULL ATE dat is tru. I lyke to take pitchers and I sumtymes lyke to do pitchers ov udder tings two. I reed a book wonce but i couldn't match da colors to da numberz. I cum here ufton cuz I wanna becum a righter and espress myself thru pitchers and words.
.....and the wit in the forums is not to be forgotten!
12-01-2008, 03:02 AM   #29

Respect, that is the key to the quality of photography found on this website.

Respect is what makes this forum better than other camera brands because of the inclusion of everyone. With Canon there is a stigma with some between who uses what level of camera, entry level to pro. Because one group uses 'consumer' lenses and not 'L' glass etc. This is also present in some Nikon sites too.

Here, I think the photography has come first and the camera is second. Regardless of if you use an K1000 to a K20D, film or digital. The fact that you have people with 40 year old lenses being used on brand new bodies, alot of experience is brought along with that. Combine that with computer gurus who can help with the latest gadgets & software issues too. That is an immense depth of talent and knowledge to tap into. So new people to Pentax can find out new ways to do just about anything.

There are also people from so many different backgrounds and areas of photography, there is alot of interesting new/old techniques being talked about and explained. Not everyone may agree but there is always respect for the differences between us.

It is not the tool but the craftsman that creates the art.
12-01-2008, 05:57 AM   #30
Veteran Member

So many have referred to the respectful, courteous and generous culture of this forum. I'd like to add that we all owe a lot to Adam, who rarely pops his head up but who, I suggest, is the rock on which this culture is built. I sense his quiet, careful spirit guiding this forum along its uniquely amiable and inspirational journey. What say you, brothers and sisters?