Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2007, 10:15 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Monterey & San Fran area site suggestions

I have a family vacation coming up in the Monterey and San Francisco area. I'm hoping my new K100D gets a good workout. I would appreciate suggestions on good places to photograph wildlife. We'll be around Monterey and the Big Sur coast area for a couple of days, then in San Francisco and Marin County for a couple of days.

My daughter is currently into seals and sea lions. I expect we'll see plenty of California Sea Lions, but where are good spots to see Harbor Seals and Elephant Seals? Any Stellar Sea Lions in the area?

I'm not a huge bird fan, but I would like to catch some good pelican shots and other interesting birds of the area.

Any other interesting wildlife in the area that there is a reasonable chance of seeing?

I'm sure I'll be taking lots of scenic shots also. Any places I should make sure not to miss?

If you're familiar with the area and have had some good success at particular locations, I'm interested in hearing your suggestions. I promise to post any keepers.

Thanks,
Bruce

03-10-2007, 10:48 AM   #2
Inactive Account

The downtown area of Monterey has some quaint areas to photograph. Also the coastal areas around the bay offer some great scenic possibilities, especially at sunset.
The Cannery District of SFO is a must, right next to Fishermans Wharf. Ghiradelly (sp?) Square is right there as well.
I believe that there is a way to get down to the rocky beach area right at the south foot of the Golden Gate Bridge. Some nice photo ops there, and sea lions too, I believe.
The north end of the bridge has tons of photo ops as well as a park, etc.

Walt
04-06-2007, 04:11 PM   #3
Forum Member

SF & Big Sur

Heaps of interest in SF. The Tenderloin area is one ;-> (slightly kidding).
A great way to see great views of SF from another perspective (& cheap) is to do a ferry to Sausalito & back. Also if you have the use of a car (day rentals are always cheap) is to do both Golden Gate & Oakland Bay Bridge. Great views & photo opps. Also Coit Tower offers fantastic panoramic views over SF: Coit Tower, San Francisco

Big Sur...well where does one start?
Pfeiffer State Park: Pfeiffer Big Sur SP
Staying at the Deetjens Big Sur Inn in Ventana is an experience, great food too (not cheap).
The Ventana Campground in Post Canyon is also worth consideration: Ventana Campground, Big Sur Camping
And for something a little different, a dip & maybe a massage (the massage is not cheap) at the Big Sur Hot Springs at Esalen Institute. Fantastic coast views from the bath house which is perched on a cliffside.
Swimware is optional :-> Esalen: The Place - "The Hot Springs"

Enjoy

Last edited by Stomie; 04-06-2007 at 04:30 PM.
04-06-2007, 05:35 PM   #4
Forum Member

Actually, the wildlife in San Francisco is maybe not what you are looking for. But here are a FEW sites to visit and photograph in the best city in the USA: Coit Tower, Market Street with the trolleys (not Cable Cars), Powell St., Cable Cars, Legion of Honor, Palace of Fine Arts, of course the Golden Gate Bridge, Golden Gate Park, Dolores Mission, North Beach, the Wharf, Chinatown, Nob Hill, Twin Peaks, and if you are over 50-Haight-Ashbury, the Ferry Building, Lombard Street, The City from Russian Hill, the Castro (for lunch), Ocean Beach, the Presidio, Fort Point or Baker (I get them mixed up), Union Square, and Grace Cathedral. Those are starters. In Monterey, you have had some good suggestions above. But there is an old Cathedral, but it is the size of a Chapel (the Royal Presidio Chapel) in Monterey that is also worth photographing. I would say have a good time, but I know you will.

04-06-2007, 08:19 PM   #5

Original Poster
Trip's over

Been to California and am back now. I posted a few shots in the gallery. The weather wasn't that good so good light was a little rare.

Would have liked a longer lens to get closer to some of the harbor seals.

Didn't see a single pelican - maybe not their season in the area yet.

My third trip to the area and I still want to go back again sometime.

04-06-2007, 08:47 PM   #6
Veteran Member

"Left your heart in SF?"

Nice shot of all the rigging with the tower in the background! Too bad you didn't have as much light as you expected but you have posted some nice shots!