Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-26-2008, 04:17 PM   #31
Igilligan

Oh my forum brothers and sisters

I too have reached the funk phase... The weather just turned... I have test shot the crapola out of my Helios-44M and Jupiter 9....

I had another flash nightmare shoot at a work event the other night... My boss asked me to take some shots of the President and vice president of the Company.... and of course I failed miserably. Or should I say the Pttl flash failed? tough call
And now tomorrow I head off to a thanksgiving family event that will also require flash...

So more immediate frustration awaits me tomorrow as my cousin with her D80 and two months experience will again shoot me into submission. Her freakin' kit lens and nikon flash will spank whatever I throw on the pentax.... because the PTTL FLASH SUCKs it is so freaking inconsistant... and when it does get exposure right 2 of the 8 people will have their eyes half closed from the metering preflash.... aahhhhhh

Oops I went from funk to anger, sorry...

It is so frustrating that I am considering not even bringing the camera, but I will. It is expected now.

Happy Thanksgiving day to all... wish me luck!

11-26-2008, 04:25 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
My muse left me for a better photographer.

Chris
Feels that way to me too... Perhaps the number of muses (musi?) is fixed, but the number of photographers is growing such that they just stick around long enough to be sure the LBA sirens have you firmly in their grasp, then...voom... They're off.
11-26-2008, 05:44 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Aha, I only spotted this thread just now. Funny that I learn the meaning of new word - funk. I thought it meant somethign more senister...

A little of blue is good for photography as long as the extent of low mood or sadness is not a suicidal one. The financial crisis did impact me quite a bit and trying to make ends meet now
11-26-2008, 05:50 PM   #34
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Aha, I only spotted this thread just now. Funny that I learn the meaning of new word - funk. I thought it meant somethign more senister...

A little of blue is good for photography as long as the extent of low mood or sadness is not a suicidal one. The financial crisis did impact me quite a bit and trying to make ends meet now
James, funk is also a style of music.

11-26-2008, 06:18 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not in a funk at all. Love shooting at night and the new Lens Baby Composer arrived. There is no way to be in a rut with a Lens Baby. It turns photography inside out. Most fun since the fisheye. Don't even have to go anywhere. This was leaving work. Hand held w/SR at F2 iso 3200. So much fun!
thanks
barondla

Check out POINT & SHOOT CONTEST #12 WINNERS in P&S forum. Enter #13. Any brand camera. Ends soon. Enter now!
Attached Images

11-26-2008, 06:30 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Yep, funk here.

After the leaves turn it's just dreary around here, not proper cold, no real winter, just blah...

And it's been a year since one of my few good friends (I don't make many) passed away at 30.

And I just shipped off the motorcycle that's been sitting since my wife told me she was pregnant. She never asked me to stop riding, but I wanted my little girl ('course, at that point I didn't know what we'd end up with) to grow up with a daddy and it was just too risky a hobby. I do miss it though...
11-26-2008, 08:25 PM   #37
Inactive Account

Yeah - definitely feeling funky photographically lately. It must have a lot to do with the crappy weather. Not sure what to do about it.

11-26-2008, 09:08 PM   #38

The only time I have trouble with pttl, is when I don't get the flash all the way into the shoe, and the dang flash fires at full power.
Have you tried the "A" setting on the flash? Works really good... just like the old days of film. You pick an aperture and ISO, then the flash decides how much light to put out... works with "any" lens. With all those lenses, you do have a 360 or 540 don't you?

Mark

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
I had another flash nightmare shoot at a work event the other night... My boss asked me to take some shots of the President and vice president of the Company.... and of course I failed miserably. Or should I say the Pttl flash failed? tough call
And now tomorrow I head off to a thanksgiving family event that will also require flash...

So more immediate frustration awaits me tomorrow as my cousin with her D80 and two months experience will again shoot me into submission. Her freakin' kit lens and nikon flash will spank whatever I throw on the pentax.... because the PTTL FLASH SUCKs it is so freaking inconsistant... and when it does get exposure right 2 of the 8 people will have their eyes half closed from the metering preflash.... aahhhhhh

11-26-2008, 09:37 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
I'm sorry Ben, crude English sense of humour again. There's another word that rhymes with funk.
You mean like punk? Or maybe junk?
11-26-2008, 09:45 PM   #40
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by LaRee Quote
You're a lady LaRee, my lips are sealed. back at you.
11-26-2008, 09:47 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Or maybe the reason I stay away from "Otis Spunkmeyer Cookies" .
11-26-2008, 09:49 PM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
I too have reached the funk phase... The weather just turned... I have test shot the crapola out of my Helios-44M and Jupiter 9....

Oops I went from funk to anger, sorry...

It is so frustrating that I am considering not even bringing the camera, but I will. It is expected now.

Gus, are you shooting with the k10d? I've found it so much easier to use the flash off camera. I often just hold it in my left hand over my head and off the the side while using the camera with my right hand. Or you could always bring a tripod and use a cable release to make holding the flash off board easier. Or, you could slap the camera on the top and shoot in P mode and let the flash and camera figure everything out. You get good shots with a bit of flash compensation I bet.
11-26-2008, 09:57 PM   #43
Veteran Member

I don't think a true photographic slump has anything to do with weather. It has happened to me in the middle of a gorgeous summertime. I've been feeling a bit frustrated lately too. Nothing I've been shooting jumps out at me. Not for lack of trying though. I've been out shooting, just not inspired. Same old same old. It's a phase I think everyone who shoots as much as we all do goes though at some point in time. Actually, often periodically in my experience.
11-26-2008, 10:35 PM   #44
Veteran Member

I don't think a true photographic slump has anything to do with weather. It has happened to me in the middle of a gorgeous summertime. I've been feeling a bit frustrated lately too. Nothing I've been shooting jumps out at me. Not for lack of trying though. I've been out shooting, just not inspired. Same old same old. It's a phase I think everyone who shoots as much as we all do goes though at some point in time. Actually, often periodically in my experience.

This is so true that this phase comes and goes. I am not like Jack Simpson who takes his camera wherever he goes and shoots junkies shooting up in the street. He apparently even hides in street rubbish bin to shoot pedestrians passing by...

His posts may not meet the technical criteria but always enjoyable to view.
11-26-2008, 10:44 PM   #45
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My funk broke a bit today. The weather was clear and cool, but not too cold to get out. I was off work today and a friend called to go for a walk down by the Columbia river. I have been healing from a bit of foot surgery and I was up get out and try a short stroll. I was almost sundown when we got there and the light was perfect for photography. The K10D and my camera bag were at home, but I did have my Ricoh XR7 (film body) with the Pentax-M 50/1.7. The Ricoh is loaded with the new Kodak Ektar 100 and I managed to shoot almost a full roll as the sun dropped and the colors developed. It was so liberating to have a lightweight, nimble kit and to just take pictures.

I will post the results when I finish the roll and have the pics processed and scanned.

Steve