Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-26-2008, 11:56 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
HELP: Reproduction Rights and Fish Wrappers

A couple weekends ago Nels and I had the good fortune to be asked to shoot a local pageant that is part of the Miss America competition. It was a volunteer type engagement - we get experience at event shooting (and difficult light...) and any monies generated from print sales. Well this evening I received an email from the pageant coordinator asking for a few photos to be used in a promotional piece by the local newspaper. So Yay! I was already pretty stoked just to see print orders coming in - this is pretty dang awesome.

I already have model releases signed by the pageant contestants (parents for the minors) so that base is covered, and she's already on board with ensuring full credit is in place for the photos used in the article. The only fee I'm going to charge for this of the photos is I want a couple pristine copies of the paper running the article as trophies. If they want a broader license I'll just have them purchase the commercially licensed digital downloads off SmugMug.

So, the questions I have are...

a) Do any of you have a boilerplate one-time use reproduction rights license you use for dealing with papers/magazines/etc. - or can you point me to a good online source to get one?

b) What format, size, etc. do you typically send to publications? I gather that newspapers have some specific needs in order to get photos to print clearly on the fish wrapper but I haven't a clue what those are.

Many thanks for any help you can provide!

12-01-2008, 09:53 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Can't help you with the template, i'm sure there is something out there.

As far as how to send, i have had several photos published in newspapers, books, calenders and equine magazines.

The mag's ask me to send in at 4x6 size, 300 dpi, and my file size is around 7-800K.

Papers about the same, only i scale down to 240 dpi and file size around 4-500k..

Calander folk wanted specific sizes and dpi, in cmyk colour mode and files were around 1.2 meg.

Dave

Last edited by pentkon52; 12-01-2008 at 09:53 AM. Reason: Spelling
12-01-2008, 10:12 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Much appreciated, Dave.

I emailled them back and suggested they just buy the personal licensed versions of the shots they wanted to use and I would draft up a rider for the paper's one-time use.
12-01-2008, 03:20 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I recently picked up a book called " Business and Legal Form for Photographers" by Tad Crawford. It's a great book that covers just about every photography related form you'll ever need, including the licensing of rights. It comes with a CD which has 31 different forms on it.

I'm pretty sure my wife bought it from Amazon. I highly recommend it...