Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2008, 06:27 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Something I've always been wondering about...

This concerns Pentax and all brands, really.

Built-in flashes usually have a reach of about 3-5 meters in most situations. Yet when used in auto modes, those flashes will fire even if you're hundreds of meters from your subject (you can see that in stadiums...) Why isn't there a line of code in the programming to disable the flash is the measured focus distance is greater than the flash's reach?

I'm not talking about external flashes, just the built-in ones, that should be well documented by the manufacturer. It seems it would save many a picture to beginners.

In the same line of thought, do all these auto-mode users really think that their flash will light up a whole stadium? Or a city? I was at the top of the Empire State Building some weeks ago, and a fellow with a pocket camera was frustrated with his camera, held at arm's length, with no viewfinder, and a built-in flash. The city looked dark and blurry, he said... I didn't even bother, maybe I should have.

11-28-2008, 06:41 AM   #2
Veteran Member

That's a very good question, actually. I've wondered about that myself many times. P&S and DSLR models behave the same. If I can find a dodgy reason as to why a P&S's flash will fire whatever the reason, I'm pretty sure a DSLR with its fancy metering can tell when there's no use triggering it.
11-28-2008, 07:04 AM   #3

So true - it is really annoying watching all those flashes firing continuously and uselessly.

I recently observed a girl taking flash photographs of an eclipsing moon.
11-28-2008, 07:35 AM   #4

Basically it comes down to the fact that the camera is dumb. I mean in that it can not decipher what you intend to take a picture of. So while the camera is pointing mostly out into space in a stadium, the sensors are concentrating on the few people seated in the row in front of the picture takers, setting the flash off.

It is easier for camera makers to put in small writing somewhere in the bowels of the instruction manual to physically make the change rather than having a sensor that can read the void in space.

I have heard of some P&S cameras that have this void sensing feature if you selected it, but let us be honest, most P&S shooters leave their cameras or mobiles set totally on Auto. Thumb in bum, mind in neutral scenario.

11-28-2008, 09:07 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Livewireshock Quote
I mean in that it can not decipher what you intend to take a picture of.

i understand the above, but if the focus is BEYOND the flash range, why still shoot it? i think that was the original question, and i think a very good one.
11-28-2008, 09:17 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by BBear Quote
i understand the above, but if the focus is BEYOND the flash range, why still shoot it? i think that was the original question, and i think a very good one.
I wouldn't doubt that a p&s infinity focus starts at about ten feet.
11-28-2008, 09:19 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Well that's why people pay us to take pictures, right? :P

11-28-2008, 11:33 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mark2100 Quote
I wouldn't doubt that a p&s infinity focus starts at about ten feet.
My Canon S2 started "infinity" beyond 5 meters. And in any case, the flash on these cameras won't reach 10 feet. It could be pretty easy to turn it off if the camera was focused at infinity, that would be a start.

An eclipse with flash... there are SO many ways this is wrong, I don't even know where to start.

QuoteQuote:
Who's getting paid? :P
11-28-2008, 12:22 PM   #9
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
The city looked dark and blurry, he said... I didn't even bother, maybe I should have.
Well, I did bother several times, tried to explain and got edifying answers : a particular example I remember quite well, since it comes from a member of my family ... shame on us
"no, impossible. My camera is set to night-program. So if it decides to fire the flash, there must be a good reason."

I tend to believe that even if the cameras were smart enough to not fire flash if focus is set beyond a couple of feet (or meter over here), people would take out the manual for the first time, just to check how they can force the flash to fire anyway .....
11-28-2008, 12:37 PM   #10
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Wot you mean your built in flash don't light up the whole stadium, wot like mine does.
11-28-2008, 12:55 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by vizjerei Quote
+1. very true - camera is only a tool, it can not take pictures by itself and certainly can not cover all the bases. The fact the auto-flash is triggered because the metering mechanism tells the camera that it is underexposured. The flash firing was not meant to be hitting the distance point beyond the 3 metre mark, it is also a way to trigger the flash mode setting such as 1/60 f2.8 or f4.0 (which also means the camera is saying "I give up, just give flash setting it should be good"). Also, if one uses the manual mode instead of the auto (or P) mode, I think the flash will not pop up automatically.
11-28-2008, 01:59 PM   #12

I sometimes feel sorry for those people with their compacts trying to light up stadiums or huge cityscapes. But the most depressing sight is seeing someone shooting with flash through a window ..... the result is of course complete garbage, even if there actually was enough light to get something, a bit blurry or not.
11-28-2008, 10:38 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wulifou Quote
"no, impossible. My camera is set to night-program. So if it decides to fire the flash, there must be a good reason."
Priceless...
11-28-2008, 11:00 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Consider the bizzare possibility that you might have a person or object in the foreground which you want fill light for, but deliberately have focussed at infinity.

Sounds odd, but you could be attempting to do it deliberately - in this case, disabling the flash would be very, very annoying.
11-28-2008, 11:56 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Built-in Flash

QuoteOriginally posted by Wulifou Quote
I tend to believe that even if the cameras were smart enough to not fire flash if focus is set beyond a couple of feet (or meter over here), people would take out the manual for the first time, just to check how they can force the flash to fire anyway .....
And, if they couldn't find a way to force the flash, they'd send the camera in for repair, as it is obviously defective, since it didn't fire the flash when it was clearly dark. If they had bought the camera recently enough, they'd take it back to the store and demand a replacement.

It wouldn't surprise me if the designers had considered adding such a feature to the firmware. It would extend battery life, by not firing the flash when it couldn't do any good. I can imagine a design meeting in which the subject comes up, but is voted down, just to avoid the bogus warranty claims and the end-user confusion.

Paul Noble