QuoteOriginally posted by pearsaab Quote
ake a gopro
As well, good idea.

07-23-2021, 04:14 PM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pearsaab Quote
take a gopro
Very sensible advice. Even in large two-seaters there's not much space inside a cockpit, so operating a DSLR might be problematic.Most likely you will be flying in the front seat*, and most (if not all) gliders have a small opening (a sort of window) in the canopy for ventilation purposes. Its size is sufficient for gopro, even on a stick**, or medium sized lens without hood. Forget about long tele lens as there's simply not enough room to operate it. If you purchased longer (thermal) flight you can ask your pilot if you can get close ('close' means between 100 and 200 m) to another glider - this is safe and pretty common situation in thermal flights, an may offer a very nice photo opportunity. If your flight is going to be on aerodrome traffic circle, you have several minutes at relatively low altitude (300 - 500 m above ground level) to take pictures. Ideally, you should purchase two flights one to enjoy the ride, and another one to take pictures As per focal length, I would go with 20 or 14 mm, 31mm may make sense for objects on the ground during flights at lower altitude, like during flights in aerodrome traffic circle. As others wrote, operating a polarizing filter is usually very problematic (albeit feasible), besides this sky gets slightly darker when you gain altitude. Last, but not least, if you plan any aerobatics, holding a gear in hand will present extra challenge

*) I have not seen even single flight with adult passenger in a rear seat. However, it may happen if the passenger is very light, as two-seater gliders require a minimal mass in the front cockpit. Depending on a glider, minimal mass of a person in front cockpit might be like 50 or 60 kg,
**) glider's speeds are relatively low, for cruising and thermals they are usually between 80 - 90 kph, so you can safely stick out a gopro if you wish (but please do not open the canopy.
07-23-2021, 06:56 PM - 1 Like   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

FWIW, I was fairly heavily into in hot air ballooning back in the day. I found that telephoto lenses were the better choice than wide angles. I can't help but think that the same thing will apply to sailplaning.
07-23-2021, 08:00 PM - 1 Like   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I was thinking to also have a short telephoto as well as a wide angle. Don't forget to potentially take several shots in quick succession with a longer focal length that you then stitch together in post.

07-24-2021, 10:50 AM - 1 Like   #20
F/8 & Somewhere
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pentageek Quote
Very sensible advice. Even in large two-seaters there's not much space inside a cockpit, so operating a DSLR might be problematic.Most likely you will be flying in the front seat*, and most (if not all) gliders have a small opening (a sort of window) in the canopy for ventilation purposes. Its size is sufficient for gopro, even on a stick**, or medium sized lens without hood. Forget about long tele lens as there's simply not enough room to operate it. If you purchased longer (thermal) flight you can ask your pilot if you can get close ('close' means between 100 and 200 m) to another glider - this is safe and pretty common situation in thermal flights, an may offer a very nice photo opportunity. If your flight is going to be on aerodrome traffic circle, you have several minutes at relatively low altitude (300 - 500 m above ground level) to take pictures. Ideally, you should purchase two flights one to enjoy the ride, and another one to take pictures As per focal length, I would go with 20 or 14 mm, 31mm may make sense for objects on the ground during flights at lower altitude, like during flights in aerodrome traffic circle. As others wrote, operating a polarizing filter is usually very problematic (albeit feasible), besides this sky gets slightly darker when you gain altitude. Last, but not least, if you plan any aerobatics, holding a gear in hand will present extra challenge

*) I have not seen even single flight with adult passenger in a rear seat. However, it may happen if the passenger is very light, as two-seater gliders require a minimal mass in the front cockpit. Depending on a glider, minimal mass of a person in front cockpit might be like 50 or 60 kg,
**) glider's speeds are relatively low, for cruising and thermals they are usually between 80 - 90 kph, so you can safely stick out a gopro if you wish (but please do not open the canopy.

Yep, space in a sailplane is quite limited. Swinging a telephoto around risks impacting the canopy, especially when a "bump" occurs, which will bring on a severe reprimand from the pilot.

Trying to stick any camera out the vent is going to be awkward. You will almost certainly NOT be able to look through a viewfinder (the vent will be lower than your normal head placement), and loosening your straps to get your head low down (it would hardly be comfortable) will bring on another severe reprimand from the pilot.

You WILL be in the front seat - it has a FAR better tourist view than the back seat. At my old club, we ALWAYS put guests in the front seat. If they were light weight, we put a lead sheet under their seat to get a proper weight and balance.
07-24-2021, 11:36 AM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thank you all very much for your sharing your suggestions, tips, info, etc. Just as we were about to leave for Truckee, Ca where our ride was going to be from, I got a phone call that the flight has been cancelled due to smokey conditions in the area (Tamarack fire).

As for your lens ideas, it seems a wide zoom would be ideal. Maybe I should consider getting one.
07-24-2021, 07:19 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pixie Quote
Thank you all very much for your sharing your suggestions, tips, info, etc. Just as we were about to leave for Truckee, Ca where our ride was going to be from, I got a phone call that the flight has been cancelled due to smokey conditions in the area (Tamarack fire).

As for your lens ideas, it seems a wide zoom would be ideal. Maybe I should consider getting one.
I’m sorry to hear it was called off. Will it be rescheduled?

07-24-2021, 10:24 PM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yeah, me too. Their season typically runs through the end of September. I am hoping we can go at a later date then.