Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-29-2008, 11:16 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Request to see some photos with long exposures (> 1sec) in bright daylight

Hi

I am just learning to use filters and would really like to see some pictures of long exposures done in bright daylight.

I have googled and found some nice pics in flickr and other sources but all the pics seem to be made from canon/nikon cams. Would really like to see how a pentaxian would shoot pictures like this. No need to post the pics in this thread if they are too big or something. A link would be most helpful for me.

Thanks!
raider

11-29-2008, 11:34 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Nothing to write home about with this one, was just fartin around, but here's a 2sec exposure of a mountain stream I did with a 4 stop ND @ f/19, 140 ISO.
11-30-2008, 12:55 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Bright daylight? Like "Sunny 16"? I don't have any that fit that criterion, but it did spur me to calculate what it would take to get a one second exposure.

If using ISO 100 and getting 1/100 at f16, how many stops of light do we have to kill to get to 1 second?

1/100
1/50
1/25
1/12
1/6
1/3
1/1

Those figures are rough, but it shows we have to kill about six stops of light in order to get the shutter speed down that low. So if the lens being used goes down to f22 or f32, that takes care of one stop or two. Adding an ND8 filter will knock off three stops.

So f32 and an ND8 filter will put you in the neighborhood of one second, but probably not quite there. Most of my lenses only go to f16, so I'd be up that slow running creek without a paddle.
11-30-2008, 01:27 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks. Actually i would like to take photos of the sea and river and streams with a shutter speed of 4sec or more, maybe 6 sec or something and i wanted to do this in bright daylight.

Any pics and descriptions of the steps and equipment used for the shot? Many thanks

11-30-2008, 06:01 AM   #5
Veteran Member

A "pentaxian" would do the same thing someone with a can*n, nik*n, kod*k, or a holg* would. By using a neutral density filter or, if needed, stacking two or more neutral density filters. Sample pictures from a pentax camera wouldn't look any different from any other light-tight box device (generic term, didn't want to type any more *s---oops, just did).

Venturi posted a sample. Mike laid out the calculation steps for you. Not sure what else you need to know.

Equipment list:
Camera
Tripod
1 or more neutral density filters

Steps:
Affix camera to tripod
If using a Pentax camera with shake reduction, turn shake reduction off
Attach neutral density filter(s) to camera lens
Meter the scene
Set aperture and shutter speed to attain desired exposure
Using 2 second delay or remote shutter cord, activate shutter button
11-30-2008, 06:01 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
Thanks. Actually i would like to take photos of the sea and river and streams with a shutter speed of 4sec or more, maybe 6 sec or something and i wanted to do this in bright daylight.

Any pics and descriptions of the steps and equipment used for the shot? Many thanks
I assume you want to get the silky look to the water, right ?, you can use multi-exposure mode (I hope the K100D has this ?). If you don't know how this works, ask.

If youn want he 4 sec. 6 sec exposure for other reasons, please explain.
11-30-2008, 06:16 AM   #7
Veteran Member

K110D, iso200, 4 Sec, DA 18-55mm at f22 and 18mm.

2 stacked circular polarizers to control the full afternoon sunlight and allow the long shutter speed.
Stacking polarizers like this renders some strange color effects so I desaturated and converted to greyscale.

Last edited by MRRiley; 11-30-2008 at 06:23 AM.
11-30-2008, 08:35 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
I assume you want to get the silky look to the water, right ?, you can use multi-exposure mode (I hope the K100D has this ?). If you don't know how this works, ask.

If you want the 4 sec. 6 sec exposure for other reasons, please explain.
I forgot he is using the K100D, with a minimum ISO of 200. That makes about 7 stops he has to kill for one second....and about 9 stops for four seconds. Adorama has the Hoya ND400 (9 stops).

Seriously, though, this sort of scene tends to be in the woods....under a tree canopy....so the "bright sunlight" scenario isn't all that often encountered. Between the trees and a bit of lucky cloud cover that should take care of two or three stops (at least).
11-30-2008, 08:37 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What is "sun"light?
Today is my fourth day off and I haven't seen this fictitious "sun":-(.
11-30-2008, 09:25 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Eaglerapids Quote
What is "sun"light?
Today is my fourth day off and I haven't seen this fictitious "sun":-(.
Maybe the Global Warming gang got out an injunction against it?
11-30-2008, 04:14 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Actually I can't understand why anyone needs proof for a certain technique. Just go out and experiment. That's the only way to know for certain.
11-30-2008, 04:24 PM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
K110D, iso200, 4 Sec, DA 18-55mm at f22 and 18mm.

2 stacked circular polarizers to control the full afternoon sunlight and allow the long shutter speed.
Stacking polarizers like this renders some strange color effects so I desaturated and converted to greyscale.

Nice shot How's it going? Weren't the Botanical Gardens great!!!!
11-30-2008, 04:25 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I don't believe Raider was asking for proof. He asked for examples and hints on how to do it... Thats what Venturi and I provided. Anyone else care to help?
11-30-2008, 04:55 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Here you go

1 sec exposure using ND400 filter, handheld so it's not very sharp.

Larger size:

Flickr Photo Download: Domingo no Parque / Sunday at the Park
11-30-2008, 04:57 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks MRRiley, Venturi and Kristoffon for the pictures. Appreciated your help.

I am not sure why some will think that I requested "proof" for techniques of shooting long exposures in bright daylight. This is not a troll post and I don't see any need to be agitated because of a simple questions such as this. Please bear in mind that not all photographers in pentaxforum are experienced photographers.

The fact is that I have tried to do so with my cokin filters (i only have the ND2, ND4 and ND8 graduated density filters) and even with stacking all of them and going down to ISO200 and F16 (didn't go to F22 because someone said F16 is the max aperture an APS-C sensor should go and I believe so), I still can't achieve more than 1sec of exposures.

I have the circular polariser but i dont have 2 of them. I seem to observe that when i stack my Hoya circular polarizer on my DA14, even at F16, the pictures are very soft. not sure what i am doing wrong.

I have now checked out the Hoya ND400. The price is not cheap here in Australia. Is there any problems of using the ND400 in conjunction with my cokin graduated density filter? If this filter is really useful, i will get it.

Thanks for all your help.