Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
08-02-2021, 01:54 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What kind of video file does the K-1 make from interval shooting?

I've made a few movies using interval shooting (sunsets, the occasional forest fire, and clouds rolling along), but I have always taken the individual files and and used software to compose a separate video from them. This gives you great flexibility to create what ever type of video file you want (i.e. mpg / wav / avi / ...).

My understanding is the K-1 will do this for you (i.e. make the video itself from a string of interval shots). What kind of file does it produce, and what is the resolution of the video frames? Do you have any access to the individual files, or is the only output the video file? I guess you could get at the individual frames using various movie editors.

What about setting the exposure? For my past efforts, I've always used M mode, so the exposure is uniform throughout the video. And, manual focus. I've used typical intervals of 5 to 15 seconds.

I'd appreciate thoughts and tips based on other's experiences as to what works best. (with relevance to the K-3 as well, if it has this mode) Please comment on star trails, too, if you've done them in-camera.

BTW, I just started doing this with my (vintage, but new-to-me) iPhone SE (the 2016 version) and the results are incredible, especially for the amount of effort (~ none!) involved! Other than kludging up a tripod mount, I just put it in movie mode and push go.

08-02-2021, 02:24 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have a look at pages 68 and 69 of the manual. Interval movie mode saves the images to a movie JPG file with file extension .AVI. You have the choice to set resolution up to 4K. (Sorry, that's for the K-1II. I trust the K-1 is similar)
08-02-2021, 03:08 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for basically bugging me on this. I did check the K-1 manual originally, but didn't read far enough into the little boxes (Instruction 2 on p. 61 there, and instruction 4). (I usually try to RTFM before asking here! Clearly, not deep enough this time.) It also mentions a "Save Process" which suggest it might save the individual files as well.

Guess it's time to do some experiments!
08-02-2021, 03:12 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AstroDave Quote
Thanks for basically bugging me on this. I did check the K-1 manual originally, but didn't read far enough into the little boxes (Instruction 2 on p. 61 there, and instruction 4). (I usually try to RTFM before asking here! Clearly, not deep enough this time.) It also mentions a "Save Process" which suggest it might save the individual files as well.

Guess it's time to do some experiments!
RTFM! Love it!