Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2021, 04:21 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Book on lighting?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Any recommendations for books on lighting (natural/studio/etc...). I feel like this is one part of my photography that's deeply lacking and would like something to thumb through to get an idea of what to do better. I'm mainly looking at this because I want to get into learning portrait photography, but more general books are great as well.

I don't really want videos by the way, I want something that I can reference on the go.

09-19-2021, 04:48 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not a printed book (not sure if that would be available from this), and I think it's mainly focussed on lighting with flash(es), but that seems to be the go-to address for many people: Strobist: Lighting 101: Introduction
09-19-2021, 05:41 AM   #3
cpk
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Light Science & Magic, An Introduction to Photographic Lighting by Fil Hunter and Paul Fuqua
09-19-2021, 05:48 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I found these web links helpful when I started doing portraits.

Three-Point Lighting and Color Temperature Basics | Shutterstock

Lighting setups for great portrait photos | Discover Digital Photography

Rembrandt Lighting in Photography

Studio Lighting Archives -

I would not discount videos out of hand. Indoor portrait lighting is about "seeing" the result of changes to your set-up and nothing demonstarates that better than video. If you only look at one have a look at this. It is pretty specific, but I learned a whole heap of stuff from watching it. How to Light & Shoot a Seamless White Background from Start to Finish

09-19-2021, 09:07 AM   #5
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I can heartily recommend Bryan Peterson's "Understanding Flash Photography". As the title suggests, it deals primarily with flash (only one aspect of lighting); but, part of using that effectively involves understanding other light sources to some extent. The book seems deceptively simple, and not a little repetitive in places - but that's clearly the intention, as the concepts are established and memorised through this very repetition. I really like this volume... It's accessible for beginners, but detailed and deep enough to be of value to more advanced photographers...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 09-19-2021 at 10:19 AM.
09-22-2021, 06:16 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
+1. Great tutorials

QuoteOriginally posted by ehrwien Quote
Not a printed book (not sure if that would be available from this), and I think it's mainly focussed on lighting with flash(es), but that seems to be the go-to address for many people: Strobist: Lighting 101: Introduction

09-23-2021, 05:48 AM   #8
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cpk Quote
Light Science & Magic, An Introduction to Photographic Lighting by Fil Hunter and Paul Fuqua
+1
Read it and you'll be able to light anything, in and out of this world!