Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 26 Likes Search this Thread
09-26-2021, 10:26 PM - 1 Like   #31
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bobbyscon Quote
Thanks again for all the feedback! I'm off to figure out which of my kids organs to sell to get a 70-200 f/2.8.
Yeah, I like these photos, Bobby, but you were hitting ISO 12800, that's what the f2.8 is for!

09-27-2021, 06:54 AM - 1 Like   #32
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Yeah, I like these photos, Bobby, but you were hitting ISO 12800, that's what the f2.8 is for!
Absolutely! Although this was my first test of high ISO with a KP and I'll admit I was quite surprised at how well the images turned out all things considered. Obviously needed some post, but the fact that they were usable and really didn't need a ton of work made me quite happy. I knew the KP was well regarded for performance in that ISO range, but really didn't think it'd work as well as it did.
09-27-2021, 06:58 AM   #33
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
can you identify were you were standing when you took the photos?

were you

on the sidelines

stands

end zone

angle to the players

did \you use single shutter or continuous shutter mode - low medium or high
09-27-2021, 07:31 AM   #34
Forum Member

Original Poster
@aslyfox - I was on the sidelines and moved up/down depending on where the action was. Looking at the photo from the first post in this thread, I was outside the fence on either side of the larger stands. I mostly stayed even with the QB/offensive line after it became apparent that the defense was quite good, so the ball wasn't moving forward much. However I was getting some decent shots from about 50 degrees in front of the O line (to get players moving down field). I got lucky that 80% of those plays came toward the sideline I was on. For future games, I'll go inside the fence and move around a bit more now that I have an idea of how the coaches/refs position themselves and where I could be to not intrude on the action. Hopefully they'll have more scoring opportunities for me to capture :-)

I started the game in single-shutter mode, but did turn on continuous/medium for a while. I found low to be too slow for the running plays and high seemed like overkill. I still ended up capturing approximately 500 photos. I bounced between single-point AF and 27-point, but I'm not sure if one yielded better results than the other. I'm going to get my kids to run around in the back yard and get some practice in with AF options.

09-27-2021, 07:35 AM   #35
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

. . . . For future games, I'll go inside the fence and move around a bit more now that I have an idea of how the coaches/refs position themselves and where I could be to not intrude on the action. . . . .
do you need approval for this
09-27-2021, 09:00 AM - 1 Like   #36
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
do you need approval for this
Yes, one should always get approval to go inside the fence at a sporting event. I've already spoken with the school and they're more than happy for me to do so. (Something about getting free photos for them to use )
09-27-2021, 09:22 AM   #37
Pentaxian

Yes, one should always get approval to go inside the fence at a sporting event. I've already spoken with the school and they're more than happy for me to do so. (Something about getting free photos for them to use )
Schools are like that. Everything is on a tight budget. Free services provided are gold.

09-27-2021, 09:47 AM   #38
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

expect to have company

if HE can do it, why can't I ?