Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2008, 09:15 PM   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Glad to see you want to continue learning, I just fininshed up a class in digital photography and the book we used was Real World Digital Photography. This book has a lot of practical information in it and was good for those of us that have been taking pictures a long time and those in the class that were just begining. Before I went back to school I was also taking one on one lessons with someone at their home you might be able to find someone in your area to do the same.

12-04-2008, 11:43 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jeremy_c Quote
I have been taking pictures for a long time, however, have never really studied photography. What I do know comes from just taking shots and seeing the outcome. I understand the basics but want to learn more, in a structured manner. I do not have the time or money to go to a photography school.

I am wondering, what method would you recommend to someone who wants to be a good, serious hobby photographer? I am willing to put some money into it and a good deal of "extra" time. (Above when I said I do not have the time, that was for driving to college, etc.... not that I have no time for learning or want something for nothing).

I have seen a few books that look interesting, a few online photography courses and also have had the suggestion of just taking more pictures and judging the outcome (which interests me the least, I would like something structured).

Any specific suggestions? Oh, I don't really care to learn film based photography. I know some courses/books deal a lot with film. I'd rather avoid that if I can.

Thank you,

Jeremy
I am in the same boat as you Jeremy. I learned everyone about photography from teaching myself from reading books, online and just trial/error.
I've read many books about photography, many of them have been listed here already. They are great books don't get me wrong, but all books have a problem, you can't get a feed back when you have a question at the moment. Also most books generally say the same thing, just with different voices.

I am at a point where I can't learn anymore by myself. I've been shooting for almost 7 years solo and I need to get a different point of view. I will be going to school next semester to have people teach me at my local community college.

I know you said that you don't have time for school. If you don't I would join a photography club so you can learn from other local photographers and get a new view on photography. I've just joined a local club and I am looking forward to my first meet. www.meetup.com is an great place to find a local club.