Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-08-2021, 07:24 AM   #1
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
photographing with snow as background - suggestions sought

as a combination of my Christmas Present and my present for my upcoming 65th birthday on Jan 30

my wife is sending me back to Jackson WY, Grand Tetons NP and Yellowstone NP in mid December - 14, 15, 16 and 17 2021

[ she is staying warm back in Kansas ]

I expect to see wildlife, geothermal objects, mountains

and snow

in the past I have had problems properly photographing while objects ( think Trumpeter Swans ) and objects with snow as the primary back ground

any thoughts about the proper settings to use with my K 3 III, K 3 II or K I II

thanks, in advance, for the comments

[ similar thread seeking advice for the trip: need advice quick: how would camera and lens be affected warm vehicle and cold air? - PentaxForums.com ]

10-08-2021, 07:30 AM - 8 Likes   #2
Veteran Member

Stick exposure compensation up a stop or two - play around to see what works.

Generally the camera's metering system will underexpose with snow making it look grey. So to keep it white, overexpose (or pull up exposure in post).
10-08-2021, 07:56 AM - 2 Likes   #3
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

as stated above - it is completely counter-intuitive, but bump up your exposure compensation to keep snow looking like snow.....
10-08-2021, 08:04 AM - 3 Likes   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
as stated above - it is completely counter-intuitive, but bump up your exposure compensation to keep snow looking like snow.....
That seems not at all counter intuitive to me as coming from a film background it was common knowledge that snow exposed at 18% gray looks… Gray.

Options:
1) manual exposure set by gray card or whatever method you like best.
2) dial up exposure compensation to increase exposure - possibly enabling highlight protection to avoid blownout snow.
3) adjust white balance and exposure after you get back using raw files as input to a good post processing tool.

10-08-2021, 08:08 AM - 2 Likes   #5
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
That seems not at all counter intuitive to me as coming from a film background it was common knowledge that snow exposed at 18% gray looks… Gray.
yeah, but my tiny little reptilian brain stem, with no film-training.....
10-08-2021, 08:08 AM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
Wrap up warm

I visited those wonderful places a number of years back, but it was in September. I seem to remember reading the only YP entrance open in winter is in Montana.

I cannot wait to see your pictures.
10-08-2021, 08:09 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In Yellowstone use UV filters religiously! Keep them on all the time.

Invisible mineral laden droplets from the geothermal features will stick to and stain EVERYTHING. However you will only notice it on your glass. Keep your filters covered and wipe them down regularly.

I've been there a few times and ruined only one Hoya HMC polarizer trying to get to get try the spots off.

Enjoy!

10-08-2021, 08:30 AM - 1 Like   #8
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Wrap up warm

I visited those wonderful places a number of years back, but it was in September. I seem to remember reading the only YP entrance open in winter is in Montana.

I cannot wait to see your pictures.
the north entrance is open year round, at Gardiner MT with access to Mammoth and then south to Roosevelt and then along the Lamar Valley east to Cook MT

this is because Cook Mt has no access over the Bear Tooth Pass to the east

using that route, you would not need an " over the snow " vehicle

once you get to Mammoth, NPS will shuttle you to the Old Faithful area via snow coach

QuoteQuote:
Every year in early November, most park roads close to regular traffic in preparation for the winter season. The only exception is the road between Mammoth Hot Springs and the northeast entrance, which is open to regular traffic all year. Once enough snow accumulates (usually by mid-December), roads open to “oversnow” travel only. This means the only way to visit Old Faithful, the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone, and other popular destinations during winter is by guided snowmobile or snowcoach, or through the non-commercially guided snowmobile program. Winter travel hours are 7 am-9 pm.

Oversnow travel ends in mid-March, when plowing crews begin clearing a winter’s worth of snow. Roads start re-opening to normal cars in mid-April.
Ride a snowmobile or snowcoach - Yellowstone National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

I found a private tour out of Jackson WY which will take me north and, outside YNP, transfer me to a van outfitted " over the snow tracks " which allows it to enter YNP at the south entrance and explore YNP

it will be a long day

Last edited by aslyfox; 10-08-2021 at 08:42 AM.
10-08-2021, 08:34 AM   #9
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lmd91343 Quote
In Yellowstone use UV filters religiously! Keep them on all the time.

Invisible mineral laden droplets from the geothermal features will stick to and stain EVERYTHING. However you will only notice it on your glass. Keep your filters covered and wipe them down regularly.

I've been there a few times and ruined only one Hoya HMC polarizer trying to get to get try the spots off.

Enjoy!
so the danger you note will happen only when photographing the geothermal areas

they are not my key goal more interested in wildlife

but plan changes

and, of course, there is the classic photo [ where I got that idea I don't know ] of the big bison with the geyser erupting behind it
10-08-2021, 08:40 AM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
as a combination of my Christmas Present and my present for my upcoming 65th birthday on Jan 30

my wife is sending me back to Jackson WY, Grand Tetons NP and Yellowstone NP in mid December - 14, 15, 16 and 17 2021

[ she is staying warm back in Kansas ]

I expect to see wildlife, geothermal objects, mountains

and snow

in the past I have had problems properly photographing while objects ( think Trumpeter Swans ) and objects with snow as the primary back ground

any thoughts about the proper settings to use with my K 3 III, K 3 II or K I II

[ similar thread seeking advice for the trip: need advice quick: how would camera and lens be affected warm vehicle and cold air? - PentaxForums.com ]
Your camera is going to want to underexpose by a couple of stops. Keep this in mind and you should be good.
10-08-2021, 09:04 AM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
yeah, but my tiny little reptilian brain stem, with no film-training.....
Lol. It isn’t that film is the difference as much as metering was much less sophisticated. The simple center weighted 80/20 meters were easier to fool. Some modern cameras’ scene analysis will figure out a lot more things so the output will vary based on the sophistication and model used. The simple metering and the lack of immediate feedback forced people (like me) to learn rules like how to deal with snow. It isn’t that film was magical…
10-08-2021, 09:05 AM   #12
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
thanks for all of the speedy responses

so please indicate proper setting

and so I can understand it

KISS system appreciated

1 AE set for multi-segment

or what

2 EV compensation set for - 2 or 3 ?

or what

3 what about " bracketing "

I usually shoot low continuous shutter

that would be affected by No. 3

yes/no

if yes, should I not use continuous shutter ?
10-08-2021, 09:09 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

13 Snow Photography Tips: A Beginner's Guide

+1 or +2 compensation with matrix metering should work. Take a few shots and test perhaps with a bright white building behind a test subject before you go.

---------- Post added 10-08-21 at 12:11 PM ----------

7 Tips for Taking Photographs in the Snow | B&H Explora

---------- Post added 10-08-21 at 12:12 PM ----------

How to Take Portraits in the Snow - Tips & Camera Settings - Pixobo - Profitable Photography

---------- Post added 10-08-21 at 12:12 PM ----------

10-08-2021, 09:13 AM   #14
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
very nice articles
10-08-2021, 09:45 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Check out B&H Youtube channel. Three years ago Charles Glatzer did a talk for them on how to correctly expose and post snow scenes it pretty good.

It's about an hour and a half video and he also goes into some of the challenges of shooting in Yellowstone in the winter, he's been doing tours there for twenty years in the winter.