Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2007, 08:22 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Selling Prints

Someone actually wants to buy one of my prints. The problem is I do not know what to charge.

So, the question is, if you were selling, what would you charge for an 11x17 unmatted print?

Thanks for any input

03-12-2007, 11:29 AM   #2
Inactive Account

That has always been a tough question to answer because it depends on so many factors. If you were in the business as a working professional, then there are lots of legitimate guidelines in determining price points. However, amateurs typically don't have a clue as to where to start in determining prices. Also, you have to search within yourself, and determine why you would rather sell a print than just give it to someone. After all, it is probably unlikely that you would be giving away something that will acrue in value with time. (If that is the case, then maybe you need to reevaluate your career path and start taking more pictures!!)
So, if you determine that you would rather not give the print away, or at least provide it a nominal price to cover expenses, then the next question is, why does the person want a copy, and just how bad do they want it? Maybe they do like the print, but think they are paying you a compliment by asking "how much would you charge", hoping the answer is "I will give you one for what it cost me to be printed." In all honesty, 95% of the folks who ever asked me the same question were thinking that way. I know because most of the time I would ask enough questions to determine that is where they were coming from. However, if you determine that there is a sincere desire to have a copy of the print, you really need to determine what they plan to do with the print. If they want to have it matted and framed and hang in a prominent place in their home or office, then a good starting point is 75.00 to 100.00. It will cost them almost that much to have it matted and framed at a frame shop, so the total investment is not huge but typical for art prices at various galleries, etc.
On the other hand, if they only want a copy to put in a bargain type frame from KMART or WALMART, or just to put in a scrapbook, you would reasonably expect they would probably only be willing to pay something less than 25.00 or so.
I will end with this thought. I have been doing photography as a career and as a hobby for close to 55 years now, and as a wedding and portrait photographer it was never hard to determine price points. Basically it is market driven coupled with an honest evaluation of how your work compares to the industry norm. However, in all these years, I have seldom sold a print of something that I shot as a hobbiest. I have given a lot away however.
Just my .02 cents worth!

Walt
03-12-2007, 12:05 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have my prices on my website

For now, always subject to change, they are reasonable.

NOTE: I charged $100 for a 12" x 44" pano.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Marc
03-12-2007, 01:21 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Have sold in the past...but not a lot as I am not marketing them...
Simple black 11X14 mat on 8X10 photo sold for $25.00 USD, Unmatted $20.00.
These were shots I made for my own pleasure not something I was commissioned to do as that would bring a higher cost.
I took a look around the web and saw what others were selling their wares and evaluated my work compared to their's then arrived at a reasonable number.

03-13-2007, 02:16 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the input guys.
Much appreciated.