Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-22-2021, 01:39 PM - 1 Like   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Difference of color temperature between flash and ambient light it also a problem.
True , but you can deal with that. Either selectively change the temperature in PP or simply use a gel on the flash.

11-22-2021, 02:31 PM - 1 Like   #17
Forum Member

Difference of color temperature between flash and ambient light it also a problem.

...or a feature, depending.
11-22-2021, 03:34 PM - 1 Like   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
For this, you buy coloured gels to tape over the flash.

These work best at low power. At high power I find you just get white coming through.
11-23-2021, 01:47 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
You don't say what type of picture you are taking.
Outdoors, nature subjects (not necessarily macro), the lighting of the background is not possible , simply too large. What I want to do if to benefit from the snappiness of flash light ( flash light strikes in 1/4000th of a sec. or faster) and the beauty of natural backgrounds.

The other alternative is to use high flash power so that to have the background black, it's easier to achieve than keeping a nice naturally lit background.

11-23-2021, 02:31 AM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

Outdoors, nature subjects ....
Then ignore my advice to bounce off the ceiling
11-23-2021, 03:59 PM - 1 Like   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
For this, you buy coloured gels to tape over the flash.

These work best at low power. At high power I find you just get white coming through.

LOL - that is one I learned the hard way :-) Drove myself crazy trying to figure it out :-)

Same lesson I learned trying to change the color of a white background. Red turns pink etc... Black backgrounds take color much better :-)

Outdoors I usually like ambient to be 1/2 to full stop under and meter the flash for the correct exposure. Its a look you either like or don't.

Seen a few tutorials, mostly on MagMod's channel where they use colored gels in combination with white balance to turn the background orange or blue depending on what you want and a CTB or CTO to color balance the subject. Again, its a look you may or may not like.

Anyway, flash is fun - enjoy the process.
6 Days Ago   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mbceft Quote
Same lesson I learned trying to change the color of a white background. Red turns pink etc... Black backgrounds take color much better :-)
Yeah, actually, true black is impossible to tint, it absorbs everything you put its way. A medium grey is really good, the darker, the more saturated.

This is with the K-1 and I think the Tamron 28-75mm f2.8:

6 Days Ago - 1 Like   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yeah, actually, true black is impossible to tint, it absorbs everything you put its way. A medium grey is really good, the darker, the more saturated.

This is with the K-1 and I think the Tamron 28-75mm f2.8:

Cool shot - has an 80's dance party feel to it with the colors and smoke.
I've tried some color portraits like this but never turned out anything that I liked.
Just bought a medium grey roll of paper for a product shot project. I'll have to try out your tip for tinting it up.

Thanks!
6 Days Ago - 1 Like   #24
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
One way to do this in macro especially is to get the flash further away from the subject and background. For instance if you a 50mm macro (and an on camera flash) and your background is twice the distance away as your subject (say 1 metre and 2 meters) the background will be 2 stops darker than the subject. Now if you put say a 200mm on and move back to 4 metres from the subject the background will be 5 meters away so only slightly darker. This can also be achieved by taking the flash off camera and moving the flash alone back. .
6 Days Ago   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Cool shot - has an 80's dance party feel to it with the colors and smoke.
I've tried some color portraits like this but never turned out anything that I liked.
Just bought a medium grey roll of paper for a product shot project. I'll have to try out your tip for tinting it up.

Thanks!
Have fun.

Cinematographers understand all this better than anyone.

On a movie set, coloured lighting is crucial for mood - backgrounds, subjects, foregrounds, and light sources visible within the frame - they call those 'practicals'.
5 Days Ago   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Have fun.

Cinematographers understand all this better than anyone.

On a movie set, coloured lighting is crucial for mood - backgrounds, subjects, foregrounds, and light sources visible within the frame - they call those 'practicals'.
I have been paying attention more to film lighting for ideas in photography lighting. I especially like the cool blue or green with warm orange.
Anyway, I fear we have hijacked the OPs thread. Sorry about that.

I’d add for the original question from the OP that the flash doesn’t care about your shutter speed as long as you are below camera sync speed. Should be able to get ambient to the exposure you want with with a slower shutter and add the pop of flash with aperture and flash power as needed for your subject. What works for me is to dial in what I want for background exposure without the flash then add the flash at low power and adjust up until I get what I like. After a few tries you get to know what settings work for you at a given distance and you will find you get get pretty close without the test shots. It becomes a repeatable process with a little practice.

A great resource I have used over the years is David Hobby and his strobist website. Far as I know it is all free and there are tons of lighting information to be had over there.
4 Days Ago   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is a great thread. Flash is the last thing on this year's to do list and the first thing on next
4 Days Ago   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
This is a great thread. Flash is the last thing on this year's to do list and the first thing on next
Lighting is a game changer in a lot of ways for certain situations. I found it fun to learn and play with. One word of caution, if you suffer from LBA at all them lighting is a whole new level of addiction. You never seem to have enough lights, modifiers, stands, backdrops etc…

Good luck!
4 Days Ago   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lighting is a game changer in a lot of ways for certain situations. I found it fun to learn and play with. One word of caution, if you suffer from LBA at all them lighting is a whole new level of addiction. You never seem to have enough lights, modifiers, stands, backdrops etc…

Good luck!
Yeah, I currently have neewer speedlights, so presumably I can look forward to a future of godox, Pentax, rotolight and overdrafts. OK, I'm in
4 Days Ago   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
Yeah, I currently have neewer speedlights, so presumably I can look forward to a future of godox, Pentax, rotolight and overdrafts. OK, I'm in
Yep, sounds like you have it covered.
If you can find a Godox X2T-P trigger it works well with an AD200 or two.