Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2007, 04:42 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lightroom v. Photoshop

Could someone please explain what the difference is between Adobe Lightroom and Adobe Photoshop? If you have one, do you need the other (for photo editing that is)? Please keep the language simple

03-12-2007, 05:12 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lightroom is only for photo editing and it has a much simpler interface. It doesn't have many of the advanced controls that Photoshop offers, so I'd pick photoshop any day

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-12-2007, 07:04 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hybrid!

Think of Lightroom as something of a hybrid: Bridge on steroids crossed with a partially castrated Elements. You can sort, group, apply simple non-destructive corrections (no layers), print, archive and prepare web presentations.

Perhaps the most interesting 'feature' is that RAW files need not be converted to whatever before viewing, etc. And it's fairly fast. If you can 'get-it-right' in camera, then it might be possible to output directly from RAW--to printer, to disk for out-sourcing, and to web.

Photoshop (CS, CS2, CS3) becomes Lightrooms 'Preferred Editor' when installing. If you need a 'bigger-stick' to fix the image, it's a click away.
03-24-2007, 09:50 AM   #4
Forum Member

Lightroom v. Photoshop

Lightroom will also let you use other photo editing programs as well as CS, etc.

I have beta tested Lightroom and now the release v. 1.00. I have used both Picture Window Pro and Lightzone from within Lightroom with no problem. All in the Window's XP flavor.

PWPro is only US$90 and is a very powerful editor and makes a good companion to Lightroom. Even though it does not have layers, is has masking, perspective correction. batch workflow and many other "transformations" that can accomplish what Photoshop can do. PWPro is not a non destructive editor but you can keep the original intact as it works via multiple saves.

Lightzone, for me wins the editor battle because it let's me think the way I did in the darkroom, in terms of zones. It also let's me apply multiple corrections via its tools to regions within a photo It is also a non-destructive editor like Lightroom. I just upgraded to the full version which adds a file browser to its editing features. The newest version of Lightzone has a special save feature designed to work with Lightroom.

However, Lightzone's browser is (as of now) nowhere near Lightroom in terms of its metada features and ease of printing. Also it has no web or slideshow features like Lightroom.

So....as of now it looks like I will be getting the 1.00 version of Lightroom as my digital asset manager and preliminary editing tool and keep Lightzone and PWPro for the heavy work. The good news is that I now skip the costly upgrade of Photoshop 7 which is on my old Mac G4.

Last edited by dmdctusa; 03-24-2007 at 10:03 AM.