Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2022, 12:07 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Eye-point on OVF and EVF

I had my both eyes done ( cataracts ) so now use reading / computer glasses only.
Trying to find and experimenting the best solution for using OVF / EVF ,
should I use with glasses or without?
I obviously have to use glasses to be able to see the back LCD monitor.
There are some comments about the eye-point , what exactly is it?
Is it the same for all EVF's , different brands , camera models?
What about OVF , I can not remember hearing any comments about eye-point in relation to OVF?

02-01-2022, 12:26 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Eye relief and eye point are the same thing.

https://cameragx.com/2010/03/09/viewfinders-coverage-magnification-and-eye-relief-part-two/amp/
02-01-2022, 02:10 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Speaking for myself (right eye -3.25) and for using manual focus.
For my former K7 i was unable to use the OVF with my glasses. And without my glasses, even with an added diopter of -2 (the default correction for the K7 is +2.5 to -2.5 if i remember correctly so i really needed that added diopter), it was really really hard to get the manual focus spot-on. So i almost exclusively was using auto-focus.

My current camera, K1-II has a much larger OVF, making it perfectly usable with my glasses and even without my glasses. The diopter correction of the K1-II has a wider range than the K7 had, so no added diopter needed anymore. I am extremely happy i can use manual focus again with my K1-II.

So i guess it more or less depends on the camera u are using.

For auto-focus of course isn't a problem anyway.
02-01-2022, 02:34 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
great , thank you

02-02-2022, 02:17 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Personally, I need reading glasses (1.5 to 2.0) and find the dioptre correction on the K3/K1fine. However, I manually focus in Live View as there is so much more control. I do of course need glasses for this, so I have a set of half moon lenses which can sit on my nose - I can use the viewfinder and read the viewfinder just fine like this.

I also have a Hoodman Loupe when the LCD is reflecting too much sun. An excellent piece of kit as it has a built in dioptre adjustment and this is attached via a neck cord, which is swung up to the LCD when required. I can hold the loupe to the LCD and camera with one hand while focussing with the other. That too works well.