Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2022, 12:06 PM - 1 Like   #1

Interval Composite on K-3iii

I have been wondering what to use this mode for. I did some playing around with a squirrel and got this weird shot - 3 shots at 1 second intervals. Is anyone else experimenting with this feature? What do you use it for?

I also did this shot of a bird - also 3 shots at 1 second intervals.

02-23-2022, 12:56 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeStnly Quote
I have been wondering what to use this mode for. I did some playing around with a squirrel and got this weird shot - 3 shots at 1 second intervals. Is anyone else experimenting with this feature? What do you use it for?[
I use this mode for star trails

02-23-2022, 01:01 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Cool pictures.

Here's what the modes do:

Bright: picks the brightest pixels from each image which is great for stars, meteors, snow flakes, and other streaks of light. However, it can have strange effects such as if a person in dark pants and a white shirt walks across the scene (you get a floating torso with no legs). I also avoid "bright" mode with high ISO because the composite will pick the noisiest sample of each pixel (or maybe the intensified chroma noise could look interesting for some subjects).

Average: averages the scene together which works well for turning moving things into ghosts (e.g., doing time-lapse waterfalls in daylight without an ND filter). Averaging has one downside: if there are over-exposed areas (e.g., bright blobs of moving water) they tend to turn into noticeable gray blobs if the number of exposures is low (less than 10). Averaging does work well at high ISO because it averages down the noise.

Additive: sums all the images together which can work well for stars and other streaks of light on a very dark background although it really needs a scene that is very underexposed in each individual picture otherwise the composite scene will add-up, saturate and clip. Additive mode will clip highlights if any of the individual pictures have clipped highlights.

Interval composite is really cool but it does take a bit of thought and experimentation to get the exact right parameters to achieve the creative results that you want.

If you aren't sure how many images to composite, the "Save Process" check box saves each composite as it goes.

Of course, one can alway use regular interval shooting and stack the shots in post.
02-23-2022, 01:06 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by W412ren Quote
I use this mode for star trails

Yes, I want to try that if the clouds ever go away.

02-24-2022, 05:24 AM   #5
Pentaxian At Large
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I donít yet own a K-3iii, but I use this feature on my K-1 for fun special effects photos like multiple exposures, and to make crowds disappear.
Like any other effects, you are only limited by your imagination.
02-24-2022, 06:06 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
I donít yet own a K-3iii, but I use this feature on my K-1 for fun special effects photos like multiple exposures, and to make crowds disappear.
Like any other effects, you are only limited by your imagination.
That is interesting. How do you make crowds disappear?

The multiple exposure implementation on the K-3iii is nice. In live view you can see each shot as it is taken and then align the second shot as you wish.
02-24-2022, 06:27 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian At Large
Loyal Site Supporter

That is interesting. How do you make crowds disappear?

The multiple exposure implementation on the K-3iii is nice. In live view you can see each shot as it is taken and then align the second shot as you wish.
First off, I use a tripods or other stable platforms for most compositing.

To make crowds disappear, I use long exposures, but there are always a few people who in the frame just long enough to show as ghosts, so interval composite removes more ghosts as well as using the averaging tip above.

02-24-2022, 07:49 AM   #8

Original Poster
First off, I use a tripods or other stable platforms for most compositing.

To make crowds disappear, I use long exposures, but there are always a few people who in the frame just long enough to show as ghosts, so interval composite removes more ghosts as well as using the averaging tip above.
Thank you, I will have to try that soon.
02-24-2022, 02:44 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's a version of HDR. I use that when printing, have not yet used it in-camera but look forward to that. Would be easy to go overboard with HDR.
02-24-2022, 03:15 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by janosh Quote
It's a version of HDR. I use that when printing, have not yet used it in-camera but look forward to that. Would be easy to go overboard with HDR.
HDR in Raw format as opposed to jpg.
02-24-2022, 03:25 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I have not been successful but I have tried some shots where a person runs across the frame. The goal is to have them appear multi times
02-24-2022, 03:34 PM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian At Large
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sidney Porter Quote
I have not been successful but I have tried some shots where a person runs across the frame. The goal is to have them appear multi times
Capturing a moving subject is a complex task until you get some practice. You might try manually controlled multiple exposure with a subject moving across the frame but stopping every 2 steps between exposures. Snapshot, take two steps, snapshot, two steps, etc.
Post some results in this thread and ask for assistance.
02-24-2022, 04:28 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Capturing a moving subject is a complex task until you get some practice. You might try manually controlled multiple exposure with a subject moving across the frame but stopping every 2 steps between exposures. Snapshot, take two steps, snapshot, two steps, etc.
Post some results in this thread and ask for assistance.
thanks, I will try that
03-31-2022, 10:56 AM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have been wondering what to use this mode for. I did some playing around with a squirrel and got this weird shot - 3 shots at 1 second intervals. Is anyone else experimenting with this feature? What do you use it for?

I also did this shot of a bird - also 3 shots at 1 second intervals.

I had a play with the K-3iii interval setting recently - please find below my findings, which I hope are helpful. As you see, some of the setting provide multiple exposure type effects.

[U]Interval Shooting[/U]
The camera records within one folder, each separate timed image.
Interval Composite Shooting
Composite Unblended Setting
A full set of separate timed shots are recorded, plus an extra image is generated, where the subject in the first shot is shown normally and images from subsequent shots are shown ‘ghosted’, as would be seen in a multiple exposure. All the images are in one folder.
Blended Setting
A full set of separate timed shots are recorded. In each image, the subject from the first shot is shown normally and images from subsequent shots are shown ‘ghosted’, as would be seen in a multiple exposure. All the images are in one folder.
Off Setting
Only one composite image is generated in one folder. The subject from the first shot is shown normally and images from subsequent shots are shown ‘ghosted’, as would be seen in a multiple exposure.

Last edited by Robert N; 04-01-2022 at 12:08 PM. Reason: spelling correction