Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
03-04-2022, 03:56 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
War photography docus & tips

Astonishing documentary content about war photography.

https://blog.photoshelter.com/2013/08/survival-tips-for-the-aspiring-conflict-photographer/
https://acolytesofwar.com/2014/06/09/on-war-photography/
https://blog.chiiz.com/war-photography-the-ultimate-guide/

03-04-2022, 06:18 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You might want to pick up a copy of Linsey Addario's book https://www.lynseyaddario.com/ called It's What I do. Well written, from her personal experience, and it gives a sense of the terror and horrors experienced without being too graphic.
03-04-2022, 11:22 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's been some time and new members may never have seen the posts and threads, but Bob Hillerby was a Vietnam war photographer for the US Army. He educated us on the work he did while in Vietnam, right here in Pentax Forums.

Eventually, his photos led to a book. Tragically, after surviving Vietnam, he died in a motorcycle accident in Texas, not too long after his book came out.

This is one of the threads including his content. Searching for his name may lead to others. He was quite a friendly guy -- one of those I had hoped to meet some day.

We also had a Captain (?) I think, who was deployed in Afghanistan and using Pentax cameras for some time. I'm struggling to remember his user name on PF. Seems like it also started with an H.

This afternoon, I saw a video of reporters and camera team who were ambushed by Russians in Ukraine on a supposedly safe road, a bit too near the fighting front. All escaped with their lives thanks to body armor and an embankment they could jump down. At least two were hit, but in their body armor.

I'm not sure if there are active war photographers in the Forums today, but it certainly is a necessary, if unpleasant at times, genre. Special kind of people do that work.
03-05-2022, 05:56 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks Yucatan. I didn't know about Bob.

03-05-2022, 01:17 PM - 1 Like   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by yucatanPentax Quote
We also had a Captain (?) I think, who was deployed in Afghanistan and using Pentax cameras for some time. I'm struggling to remember his user name on PF
I believe you maybe thinking of the member Heie.
03-05-2022, 11:46 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
I believe you maybe thinking of the member Heie.
Thank you, yes! Wish my recall was a bit better. I hope he's doing well. Haven't seen him around for a while.
03-06-2022, 02:23 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Heie, (Alex Jansen) has not been around lately. I believe he moved to shooting Nikon.
Here's his website: https://www.alexhjansen.com

03-06-2022, 04:55 AM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by yucatanPentax Quote
I hope he's doing well. Haven't seen him around for a while.
I can't say for sure what he is up to, but here are some of his word photos from before he left the PF fold