Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-05-2022, 08:41 PM   #1

Auto triggering on manual lenses when an item comes into focus,

I have an older IstDL and there was a documented method, using older, manual lenses, where I could setup the camera on a tripod to focus on a flower and when a hummingbird came into the frame (an into focus) the camera would auto trigger.

I was able to make many fantastic photos of humming birds using this method.

I have lost my documentation on how to do this.

Furthermore, I now have a K-50 and I want to know if this method is still possible with this body,

Sorry if this is a simple question, I tried to do a search and I did not find anything. Thanks ahead of time.

04-05-2022, 09:17 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Yes. First you need to go into the custom menu settings and enable catch in focus. Set the focus mode to AF.S. Using either a manual focus lens, DA lens or, FA lens that has a AF/MF switch on the lens itself set to MF. Set the focus point and fully press the shutter release. I assume you used a remote when you did this before? You need a remote shutter release with a lock so you can walk away from it.
04-05-2022, 10:15 PM   #3

Original Poster
bschriver11, Thanks for your prompt response.

I don't recall using a remote with the Istdl, when I did this many years ago.

But it is no problem, I know that I can get a remote for the k-50 at little expense.

I will try your method. Thanks.
04-05-2022, 11:29 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bugeye59 Quote
bschriver11, Thanks for your prompt response.

I don't recall using a remote with the Istdl, when I did this many years ago.

But it is no problem, I know that I can get a remote for the k-50 at little expense.

I will try your method. Thanks.
The direction was taken right from my K-50 manual. A cheap wired remote with a lock would work.

04-06-2022, 09:14 AM   #5

Original Poster
Doh! RTFM!

Sure enough there it is on p 113. Sorry the K-50 is for me a recent acquisition, and I have not yet read all through the manual.

Interestingly back when the istDL was new this was not a feature explained in the istDL manual, it was discovered by users and discussed online.
04-06-2022, 10:40 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bschriver11 Quote
The direction was taken right from my K-50 manual. A cheap wired remote with a lock would work.
QuoteOriginally posted by bugeye59 Quote
Doh! RTFM!

Sure enough there it is on p 113. Sorry the K-50 is for me a recent acquisition, and I have not yet read all through the manual.

Interestingly back when the istDL was new this was not a feature explained in the istDL manual, it was discovered by users and discussed online.
Problem solved, but now you have me wondering how CIF works on a *istD.

Steve
04-07-2022, 02:15 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Problem solved, but now you have me wondering how CIF works on a *istD.
Steve
Catch in Focus always was the "default" means of operation … even my *ist film camera has it, and it was used regularly
Manual focus lens, camera set to a/f, the shutter will only release when the subject is in focus (check the Green Hexagon) … simples
It's only in more recent times that "someone somewhere" decided to make it a "feature" and include the ability to disable the functionality in the menus!

04-07-2022, 02:39 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
It is called snap-in focus in my MZ5 manual so the name has changed but the function long pre-dates digital. My *istD manual doesn't mention it at all!
04-07-2022, 05:49 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
Catch in Focus always was the "default" means of operation … even my *ist film camera has it, and it was used regularly
Manual focus lens, camera set to a/f, the shutter will only release when the subject is in focus (check the Green Hexagon) … simples
It's only in more recent times that "someone somewhere" decided to make it a "feature" and include the ability to disable the functionality in the menus!
I sort of figured such.

To be honest, I am pretty sure I have used my *istD that way without even thinking about it.

Steve