Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-03-2022, 03:04 PM   #16
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well done, Ken.
The crisp results with beautifully balanced fill-lighting in this series is awesome.

06-07-2022, 05:03 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mooncatt Quote
Thanks. Those were from an LG V20, and that line was the pinnacle for smartphone cameras if you wanted manual controls out of the box. I never bought into all the AI gimmicks of other brands.

The time limit seems to be hard coded in the firmware, because I haven't seen an app that can reliably go beyond that. I've noticed that time limit can also differ between lenses within the same phone. I think there are some that claim longer exposures via an automated intervolometer and stacking, but then you run the risk of having unwanted breaks in the light, and possible buildup of sensor noise (and phones are already bad at that). Thankfully their screens are sensitive enough that you could manually restart another exposure without risking knocking the camera out of alignment, then manually stack them yourself. I moved on to DSLR's before I got that deep into light paintings, so I'm not sure how well that technique would work. I would think you could make it work with some practice.

For Android phones without stock manual controls, I would look at the Camera FV-5 app (there's a paid and limited resolution free version). It was designed to mimic DSLR type controls, but it'll still be subject to firmware limits. I.e. The software allows up to 30 sec. exposures, but I've had other phones that still cut it at 20 sec.
Got it. Too bad it doesn't go longer. Just even having the ability to do light trails of some sort would be worth having.

---------- Post added 06-07-22 at 05:05 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Well done, Ken.
The crisp results with beautifully balanced fill-lighting in this series is awesome.
Thanks. Light painting really does provide a lot of creative potential. I'd have to really strain to come up with another form of photography that is this actively creative.
06-15-2022, 11:46 AM - 2 Likes   #18
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I forgot to mention before that if you want to learn more about light painting, i write about it a lot in Photofocus (mu author page).

For example, there's articles about using various angles of light painting to enhance drama.

Or how to create soft but detailed Joshua Trees through light painting. Obviously, this can be applied to other things.
08-24-2022, 07:39 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not at all on the caliber of some the other images here...
But, it was an first attempt at "Light Painting" for me...

08-24-2022, 10:53 AM - 1 Like   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bobphoenix Quote
Not at all on the caliber of some the other images here...
But, it was an first attempt at "Light Painting" for me...
I love a good ghost shot.
11-01-2022, 03:57 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Great Photo!

Love this, nice job!!

QuoteOriginally posted by Crooski Quote
Last week I attended a light paint course led by Mike Muizebelt (Pentax ambassador Holland)
The model here standing on the coast in the water
11-01-2022, 05:09 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Crooski Quote
Last week I attended a light paint course led by Mike Muizebelt (Pentax ambassador Holland)
The model here standing on the coast in the water
Just wondering, what sis you use for your light source...?

11-01-2022, 05:52 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Well done, Ken.
Thank you!!
11-03-2022, 03:00 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

@bobphoenix Very clever idea, and if it was less than perfect in execution, it is a great start.
Did you use the in-camera multiple exposure feature?
Not knowing your process for this photo, I'd suggest starting from left to right in the frame, using a brief use of a strong white light (a flashlight would do) on the subject, to fully illuminate her, then paint the halo. Have the subject then move to the right and do the same process. That should result in two strongly and equally lit subjects with the light painted additions, but everything else remaining dark.

I need to stay up a little later or get up earlier, put on a warm jacket and do some more outdoor light painting.

Last edited by robgski; 11-03-2022 at 03:20 AM.
11-03-2022, 06:48 AM - 1 Like   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
@bobphoenix Very clever idea, and if it was less than perfect in execution, it is a great start.
Did you use the in-camera multiple exposure feature?
Not knowing your process for this photo, I'd suggest starting from left to right in the frame, using a brief use of a strong white light (a flashlight would do) on the subject, to fully illuminate her, then paint the halo. Have the subject then move to the right and do the same process. That should result in two strongly and equally lit subjects with the light painted additions, but everything else remaining dark.

I need to stay up a little later or get up earlier, put on a warm jacket and do some more outdoor light painting.
The technique I employed for this image is pretty close to the process you described... Except that for the illumination of the subject, I used a self regulating speed light set to minimum light output. Oh, and the camera was set to "B"ulb.

I haven't really varied much from my 35mm film days of light painting...