Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 30 Likes Search this Thread
06-16-2022, 01:01 PM - 6 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Gestalt: the whole is more than the sum of its parts.

Gestalt qualities (German: Gestaltqualitäten) are concepts found in gestalt psychology which refer to the essential nature of a perceptual experience. An example would be how a melody is perceived, as a whole, rather than merely the sum of its individual notes. A formed Gestalt is an entire, complete structure, with clearly defined contours. The quality “trans – positivity” is manifested in the fact that the image of the whole remains even if all the parts change. Gestalt qualities were introduced by the Austrian philosopher Christian von Ehrenfels in his essay "On Gestalt Qualities," published in 1890. This discovery later led to the famous Gestalt effect discovered by Max Wertheimer.

Better known in the world of design than in photography, Gestalt principles naturally apply to photography: how the details are put together create the overall impression. A couple years ago, Spencer Cox of Photography-life published an article and a video about the application of Gestalt principles for photography, this is another way to look at composition. Here is the link to the video:

06-16-2022, 01:20 PM   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Interesting stuff... Beyond my current level in terms of observation and composition, perhaps - although I do look for related elements in scenes - colours, shapes, angles etc. -, so maybe that's a small start?

Thanks for posting

Last edited by BigMackCam; 06-16-2022 at 01:26 PM.
06-16-2022, 02:14 PM - 4 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've read and watched content about these concepts before, but have found them more useful after the fact – as a way of understanding why a composition works, rather than a tool for designing compositions in the field. Thanks for posting.
06-16-2022, 03:00 PM - 3 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here's a bit of basic understanding of Gestalt principles. https://www.interaction-design.org/literature/topics/gestalt-principles

These principles are used extensively in design, and often intuitively, rather than specifically by design.

Other factors often considered are:
Fibonacci numbers / sequences
The golden ratio (closely related to Fibonacci, but not quite)

And, of course, the main design principles, alignment, repetition, contrast, hierarchy and balance.
Others define these as contrast, emphasis, pattern, repetition, movement, space (which includes white space) and balance.

Just for fun, I'll also mention Vitruvius, who said all design was reliant on three main principles: firmitatis, utilitatis, venustatis, strength, utility, and aesthetic effect, sometimes translated as stability, utility and beauty.
Henry Wotton (1568-1639) changed this to 'commodity, firmness and delight', but that's pretty far from the correct translation.

While that relates, of course, directly to building, Vitruvius' writings inspired Michelangelo to draw "Vitruvian Man" and base that on Vitruvius' ideals of human proportion. And, that scale and proportion has an influence on what we perceive as "good" design and composition.

Last edited by MarkJerling; 06-16-2022 at 03:30 PM.
06-16-2022, 11:36 PM - 7 Likes   #5
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I'll also mention Vitruvius, who said all design was reliant on three main principles: firmitatis, utilitatis, venustatis
Currently, my own photography is influenced by the principles of tendonitis and conjunctivitis - but I'll see if I can incorporate those others too

Last edited by BigMackCam; 06-17-2022 at 11:48 AM.
06-17-2022, 02:04 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice link. Food for thought. I always try to look for elements in my compositions, but it's not that obvious at the moment of capture.
06-17-2022, 04:13 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Michail_P Quote
I always try to look for elements in my compositions, but it's not that obvious at the moment of capture.
The difficulty in most photography, except product & people photo, is that you can't easily move the mountains (even with lots of faith). But you can move the camera up, left, right, backward, forward. When moving the camera up, you'll realize you'd need wings. You could also move the camera down, you may find yourself into a hole with the view obstructed, at which point you know it's time to stop digging

06-17-2022, 08:30 AM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I didn't find the video that compelling, because some of the examples didn't really illustrate the "principles", or had other elements that were stronger organizers of the composition, or bits that got ignored, or assertions I didn't agree with because those assertions were more opinion than anything else.
06-18-2022, 03:37 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
I didn't find the video that compelling, because some of the examples didn't really illustrate the "principles",
He's using photos to illustrate gestalt principles, but sometimes the example photos aren't well chosen. I think the gestalt principles themselves may work. Although what's more important to me is to distinguish the sum (overall impression) from its parts (the elements). Experience shows that people react unconsciously to the overall impression rather than individual elements. Out of photography, for instance, for career advancement, the overall impression a person make on others often beats the quantified performance and facts, "I like this person" or "I dislike this person" without being consciously aware why. Gestalt means "shape" it's the overall impression.

---------- Post added 18-06-22 at 13:28 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
my own photography is influenced by the principles of tendonitis and conjunctivitis
A systemic understanding of tendonistis (holistic, gestalt approach), indicates that going out taking pictures and drinking plenty of water helps reduce the cause of tendonitis.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 06-18-2022 at 03:45 AM.
06-18-2022, 04:41 AM - 1 Like   #10
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
A systemic understanding of tendonistis (holistic, gestalt approach), indicates that going out taking pictures and drinking plenty of water helps reduce the cause of tendonitis.
I wish it were that simple, biz
06-18-2022, 09:45 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I wish it were that simple, biz
I was lucky that change of life style worked for me (until now), most people prefer to take medication instead of my diet.
06-18-2022, 10:02 AM - 1 Like   #12
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I was lucky that change of life style worked for me (until now), most people prefer to take medication instead of my diet.
Change of diet won't deal with the underlying cause of mine, biz (I wish it were so). I eat fairly healthily, avoid inflamatory ingredients where possible and use a lot of anti-inflammatories in recipes, and I take daily exercise, but medication's a necessity to slow the advance of the condition and reduce discomfort (the tendonitis is just a nice little bonus that comes and goes periodically). I'm glad yours is under control, and glad that - with the meds - mine is too (mostly)...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 06-19-2022 at 02:03 PM.
06-19-2022, 01:45 PM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

Sounds like someone is applying another word to what we think of as good composition.
06-19-2022, 04:40 PM - 2 Likes   #14
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Change of diet won't deal with the underlying cause of mine, biz (I wish it were so). I eat fairly healthily, avoid inflamatory ingredients where possible and use a lot of anti-inflammatories in recipes, and I take daily exercise, but medication's a necessity to slow the advance of the condition and reduce discomfort (the tendonitis is just a nice little bonus that comes and goes periodically). I'm glad yours is under control, and glad that - with the meds - mine is too (mostly)...
More wine mate. You need more wine!
06-19-2022, 08:49 PM - 1 Like   #15
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
More wine mate. You need more wine!
Whatever you say, Dr Jerling. If I must, I must...