Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-19-2022, 04:56 PM   #1

Diffusion by Shooting Through Pantyhose

I was watching a movie recently and was intrigued by the cinematographer's lighting throughout the film. I did a little research and discovered that many of his shots were made through black silk and similar fabric, including pantyhose. In the article I read, specific brands and types of material were mentioned, and yesterday I bought a yard of Tulle at the local Jo-Ann fabric store.

I need to find a way to stretch and secure the fabric across the front of the lens. I have some ideas, but I'm certainly interested in what others may suggest, or what they may have done. Perhaps some folks here have done this sort of thing. I'd love to know what your techniques and results have been.

There's an old town in Central California that I'm planning to photograph within the next couple of weeks, and I want to try shooting through "black silk" for some of the shots.

06-19-2022, 06:02 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Too many ways depending ... matte boxes, lens shades, stepping rings, filter holders, gaffers tape, glue, rubber bands, cardstock, wire frame...; whatddya got and what's the budget and needed durability?
06-19-2022, 10:48 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax made many "soft focus" lenses over the years, they do the trick nicely.

Phil.
06-20-2022, 12:15 AM - 4 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

Back in the 'Good Old Days', when ladies wore stockings, not tights, a stocking was sometimes used to soften the image - mayhap this is why, in some 'Glamour Photographs', the subject is only wearing one stocking ? I believe there is also a story of an actress, approaching the end of her prime (possibly Tallulah Bankhead ?) who said that they would need to photograph her through a mattress to improve things. Not that I am an expert in 'Glamour Photographs', you understand, but some memories linger from a far distant youth.

06-20-2022, 12:49 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SpotmaticGuy Quote
I need to find a way to stretch and secure the fabric across the front of the lens. I have some ideas, but I'm certainly interested in what others may suggest, or what they may have done. Perhaps some folks here have done this sort of thing. I'd love to know what your techniques and results have been.
I remember "experimenting" with various thin materials as diffusers back in my film days … some (I don't remember which) certainly had distinctive characteristics, which could be altered depending on how tightly the fabric was stretched and, to a degree, by the angle of rotation.
Method of attachment varied from simply a rubber band over the lens, mounting the fabric for use in a 'Cokin' holder to pinning the fabric out then gluing an empty screw-in filter holder to the fabric before trimming the excess once the glue had dried.
Results can vary depending on whether the diffuser is within and shaded by a lens hood or "out in the open" where extra flare can be induced, also by the distance from the fabric to the front of the lens, depending on the coarseness (or fineness) of the weave/knit.
Good luck … and enjoy

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Phil.
I've hung on to my Fujinon 85mm f/4 Soft Focus "just in case" … it hasn't been used recently
06-20-2022, 12:49 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I would probably try using a filter ring without the glass. Lay the fabric flat over wax paper, Put glue on the outer edge of the filter, and put it on the fabric (May need a weight on top) and let it dry, then trim away excess.
06-20-2022, 04:39 AM - 3 Likes   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A step-up ring makes a cheap frame for which to glue your material.

06-20-2022, 05:47 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote

Phil.
I have a couple of soft-focus lenses. I'm looking for something different. I'm interested in comments from those who've used such a technique.

---------- Post added 06-20-22 at 05:50 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by AggieDad Quote
A step-up ring makes a cheap frame for which to glue your material.
I thought of using an old filter with the glass removed, but didn't think step-up ring. That might allow just a bit more flexibility when stretching the material over the lens, a little greater diameter might allow for a somewhat more secure fitting. Thanks.
06-20-2022, 06:49 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

I thought of using an old filter with the glass removed, but didn't think step-up ring. That might allow just a bit more flexibility when stretching the material over the lens, a little greater diameter might allow for a somewhat more secure fitting. Thanks.
With a large jump step up ring the rubber band idea seems easy to implement.
06-20-2022, 07:43 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Or just throw it over the top of the lens and use a rubber band around the lens barrel. Pulling on the fabric below the band will tension it. Trim off the excess if needed.

One other way is to use two hoops, one which slides in the other (embroidery hoops work but wider, wooden hoops work better). Lay the fabric over the smaller with as little wrinkling as possible and drop the larger hoop on it. As the hoop is pushed down, it should stretch the fabric tight. This method allows variable distance placing to be used and a larger portion of the fabric to be utilized in the effect (also side lighting of the fabric if needed).
06-20-2022, 08:11 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm a fan of a super heavy rubber band. Super simple weighs nothing. Allows for changing number of layers quickly. Sounds like it'll be a great shoot. Please post a few!
06-20-2022, 08:18 AM - 2 Likes   #12

Cinematographers normally net the rear-element of the lens:

https://www.theblackandblue.com/2013/12/17/how-to-net-cinema-lens/
06-20-2022, 08:55 AM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
My thought exactly.

---------- Post added 06-20-22 at 08:58 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Cinematographers normally net the rear-element of the lens:

https://www.theblackandblue.com/2013/12/17/how-to-net-cinema-lens/
The article I read mentioned netting the rear of the lens, but it gave no details. Thanks for the link ... I'll save the info and read it when I get home.
06-20-2022, 01:37 PM   #14

Original Poster
My thought exactly.

The article I read mentioned netting the rear of the lens, but it gave no details. Thanks for the link ... I'll save the info and read it when I get home.
Dug into the issue a little more and came up with some good information, including specific recommendations for tape, stockings, and other details. Thanks for everybody's help.

http://coltondavie.com/tests/testing-net-diffusion/

https://www.filmmakersacademy.com/rat-pack-diffusion/

Last edited by SpotmaticGuy; 06-20-2022 at 01:55 PM.
06-20-2022, 05:55 PM   #15

Original Poster
My thought exactly.

In the articles I read, I found two very similar sets of instructions for netting the rear of the lens. Both suggested the same type of tape, just in different widths. I suppose width will depend a bit on the lens construction.

I also found another type of pantyhose (sometimes called tights) that was specifically recommended for certain situations. Later this week I'll go to the local Jo-Ann fabric store and see what else they have that had been mentioned. I can probably atart doing some experimental shooting in my own backyard as it gets some nice afternoon sun.