Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-17-2008, 07:08 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Poor mans eye exam?

What does the diopter indicate if you have to go +1 or -2? i.e. is +1 far sighted/near sighted? I find to have clear lines, I have to move my diopter all the way to the right :-( My brother can use my camera and it's clear lines right in the center (where his Sony A700 is set as well), so it's not the camera, it's me :-(

Jeremy

12-17-2008, 07:48 PM   #2

i do the same thing, i have to move it all the way to the right

I thought my eyes are doing fine but a few months ago I had an eye exam
and was amazed at how blurry my eyes actually are
I have problems w/ far objects
12-17-2008, 08:09 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

hmmm.. runs in the family ??

I even tried the OM-53, but finally gave up and got contact lenses.
Been happy with them since
Cheers!
12-17-2008, 10:13 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If you have to set your diopter all the way to the right, you probably can't read your cellphone display from ~12" away. You also probably have to pull the camera far away from your face to see the image preview on the LCD clearly.

Oh yeah - in my case I have Presbyopia:

As my ophtalmologist put it - you're at that magical age where your eyes just can't focus as much as they used to, so you need to give them a hand. So I went from 20/10 to reading glasses (+1.5) in 41 yrs. And I swear I ate more carrots and spinach than a normal human being should like to eat

Last edited by George Lama; 12-17-2008 at 10:20 PM.
12-17-2008, 11:17 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Frogroast Quote
If you have to set your diopter all the way to the right, you probably can't read your cellphone display from ~12" away. You also probably have to pull the camera far away from your face to see the image preview on the LCD clearly.
Hm, I can read my cell phone from a greater distance than 12". I can see the LCD clearly at any normal distance (close or far) but the lines in the viewfinder are far from clear when the diopter is on it's center point. All the way to the right and it's crystal clear.

I hate to think of myself as aging, but I guess, as someone said, it's better than the alternative.

Jeremy
12-19-2008, 10:01 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Depends what is normal for you - we're talking human eyeballs, so suffice it to say you might notice your eyes can't focus from as close as you used to be able to and now you're pulling objects away from your face, maybe even tilting your head back to get enough distance.

Like the gent's picture linked to from a medical website, you see how he might consider it a normal reading distance, but in fact he probably used to be able to read with a bent elbow