Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-18-2008, 09:10 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Need help - K20D: US vs Canadian Warranty

I'm set on buying a K20D body. I live in Canada, but am shortly travelling to USA where I have family in NJ.

The way I see it, I have four options:

1) Prodigital2000 on Ebay - will cost about C$820 (US $680) all in shipped from Canada to me here in Vancouver. That includes 5% Canadian GST. This would come with a 1-year Canadian warranty.
2) Amazon.com - will cost about C$890 (US $740) all in shipped to NJ. No sales tax necessary. I could get a 3-year warranty with the current Pentax US promotion and there's a higher chance of me getting a hold of the camera in time for Xmas with express shipping, which I included in the price.
3) Live.com / eBay Cashback - I can't seem to do this although ostensibly it gives 8% off of Buy It now items. Does anyone know whether this offer is still on? It seems to work for other merchants, but not eBay.
4) Buy locally - I spend C$960 including all the taxes with an extra battery thrown in. I would have more peace of mind about dealing locally, but the price and warranty are not as good as the other options above.

Is the 3-year warranty worth upgrading from #1 to #2? My strong hunch is yes and that's my favorite option so far. I would love to decide tonight so any input would be appreciated.

Can someone weigh in on this? Thanks!

12-18-2008, 09:59 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Actually, even if you buy the US$ eBay items from PD2000, you'll be eligible for Pentax Canada 2 year warranty (I was just in your shoes and they confirmed that it is 2 year for us Canadians).

Also, if you pay by credit card, you'll typically get at least a year tacked onto warranty (that 3rd year being covered by your card's insurance policy).

I put mine on my CIBC Visa because in addition to extended warranty, I'm apparently also covered for theft and damages according to the customer service agent.

QuoteOriginally posted by Dubesor Quote
1) Prodigital2000 on Ebay - will cost about C$820 (US $680) all in shipped from Canada to me here in Vancouver. That includes 5% Canadian GST. This would come with a 1-year Canadian warranty.
12-18-2008, 10:19 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by legacyb4 Quote
Actually, even if you buy the US$ eBay items from PD2000, you'll be eligible for Pentax Canada 2 year warranty (I was just in your shoes and they confirmed that it is 2 year for us Canadians).

Also, if you pay by credit card, you'll typically get at least a year tacked onto warranty (that 3rd year being covered by your card's insurance policy).

I put mine on my CIBC Visa because in addition to extended warranty, I'm apparently also covered for theft and damages according to the customer service agent.
Thanks for your fast reply! Looking at just the Pentax warranty, what will be the difference between US and Canada dealers?

It seems US buyers currently get the standard 1 yr + extended 2 yrs = 3 yrs total.
Canada gets 2 yrs extended (so 1 yr less?)

Woud love some clarification.
12-19-2008, 12:00 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dubesor Quote
Thanks for your fast reply! Looking at just the Pentax warranty, what will be the difference between US and Canada dealers?

It seems US buyers currently get the standard 1 yr + extended 2 yrs = 3 yrs total.
Canada gets 2 yrs extended (so 1 yr less?)

Woud love some clarification.
The standard Canadian warranty is 2 years vs 1 year in the USA. If you use a credit card, the warranty is generally doubled (check your card agreement to be sure) which would give you a four year warranty in Canada, two from Pentax and two from your card bank.

12-19-2008, 12:31 AM   #5

I think that depends on the card.
Amex, for example, adds 1 year onto whatever the item comes with, as long as it's 5 years or less to begin with.

Haven't checked my others, though.

T
10-19-2010, 06:34 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is an old thread but I wanted to get some information on warranty issues in Canada vs. the USA

A thread recall for a potential buyer of the K5 in Canada ... me!

After reading this thread, I am under the impression that if you bought it from the USA, you wouldn't have the same warranty, am I correct?

Is there any chance of getting a longer warranty period, let's say from ProDigital2000, even if you don't use a credit card for payment?

The only place that I know of which will provide an extended warranty is Tanguay Electronics, and that is rather costly ($150.00 Cdn) for an additional 3 years.

Does anyone here know where one can buy (the K5) and get (buy) such an extended warranty?

Also, if I were to order from the USA, because the price is always lower no matter what the exchange rate is, can I get some kind of deal for extended warranty?

Thanks,

JP
10-19-2010, 06:41 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
This is an old thread but I wanted to get some information on warranty issues in Canada vs. the USA

A thread recall for a potential buyer of the K5 in Canada ... me!

After reading this thread, I am under the impression that if you bought it from the USA, you wouldn't have the same warranty, am I correct?

Is there any chance of getting a longer warranty period, let's say from ProDigital2000, even if you don't use a credit card for payment?

The only place that I know of which will provide an extended warranty is Tanguay Electronics, and that is rather costly ($150.00 Cdn) for an additional 3 years.

Does anyone here know where one can buy (the K5) and get (buy) such an extended warranty?

Also, if I were to order from the USA, because the price is always lower no matter what the exchange rate is, can I get some kind of deal for extended warranty?

Thanks,

JP
It is an old thread indeed - the dollar is more or less at par these days. I find the Canadian warrenty better (generally two years on the body) whereas the US purchase will be more or less 1 year international, and you will need to deal with Pentax themselves. Unless you got a great deal , I find no reason not to buy it in Canada at this point. Also most shops will offer an extended warrenty. I never buy an extended warrenty for electonics as I find if they are going to fail , it will be within the existing warenty period. However I have been burnt by that - but overall I am still ahead. YMMV

10-19-2010, 07:44 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Consider if you buy locally and need warranty work, you get to deal with it locally as well. If you buy a gray market camera, you generally don't have a local warranty (buying a US market camera and importing it into Canada may well fall into this category), and so have to pack the camera up and ship it off back to whatever gray market importer you were dealing with.

I consider buying from gray market suppliers to be a gamble WRT warranty. I may save a few dollars, but I am effectively giving up the warranty in return.

I buy local.
10-19-2010, 01:09 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
It is an old thread indeed - the dollar is more or less at par these days. I find the Canadian warrenty better (generally two years on the body) whereas the US purchase will be more or less 1 year international, and you will need to deal with Pentax themselves. Unless you got a great deal , I find no reason not to buy it in Canada at this point. Also most shops will offer an extended warrenty. I never buy an extended warrenty for electonics as I find if they are going to fail , it will be within the existing warenty period. However I have been burnt by that - but overall I am still ahead. YMMV
Thanks Dave.

That makes sense.

However, if one buys "non-store" .. i.e.: an online outfit such as Prodigital2000, The Camera Store (Alberta) or Simon's Camera (Montreal), will they be able to provide with the extended warranty?
I will look this up and send a couple of emails to find out how each one makes it available or not.

Cheers.

JP
10-19-2010, 01:14 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Consider if you buy locally and need warranty work, you get to deal with it locally as well. If you buy a gray market camera, you generally don't have a local warranty (buying a US market camera and importing it into Canada may well fall into this category), and so have to pack the camera up and ship it off back to whatever gray market importer you were dealing with.

I consider buying from gray market suppliers to be a gamble WRT warranty. I may save a few dollars, but I am effectively giving up the warranty in return.

I buy local.
Hi Wheatfield.

As I replied to Dave, I will look up the availability from different "online" stores in Canada.
I got all of my past Pentax gears from either Henry's (very expensive prices but good in-store service) or Tanguay Electronics (expensive and not the best people when it comes to technicalities - they send the gear away for warranty work and it is a very lengthy process). They both offer such warranties.

Because I live away from large cities, roughly 200Km East of Quebec City actually, it is difficult for me to deal "directly" with any store(s). The only one close by is Tanguay and, as I mentioned, OK but not the best for speedy service.

Thanks!

JP
10-19-2010, 01:18 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Thanks Dave.

That makes sense.

However, if one buys "non-store" .. i.e.: an online outfit such as Prodigital2000, The Camera Store (Alberta) or Simon's Camera (Montreal), will they be able to provide with the extended warranty?
I will look this up and send a couple of emails to find out how each one makes it available or not.

Cheers.

JP
I bought my K-X from Newegg.ca last summer. They took care of everything up to my door but warranty is 1 year as camera was not bought from an authorised vendor of PENTAX CANADA. I bought the xtra 3 years who I believe is a good deal because it cover everything and it's transferable

Now I will go and buy the K-5 but this time , I do not see any advantage to buy in the USA base on selling price. Lozeau will be my first choice at this moment or Laplante in Laval if they decide to sell the K-5
10-19-2010, 01:52 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
I bought my K-X from Newegg.ca last summer. They took care of everything up to my door but warranty is 1 year as camera was not bought from an authorised vendor of PENTAX CANADA. I bought the xtra 3 years who I believe is a good deal because it cover everything and it's transferable

Now I will go and buy the K-5 but this time , I do not see any advantage to buy in the USA base on selling price. Lozeau will be my first choice at this moment or Laplante in Laval if they decide to sell the K-5
Thanks Bob.

Actually, I've just sent emails to Lozeau and Simon's Camera in Montreal, asking for availability of the K5.

I haven't checked with Laplante ... didn't know they existed!

JP
10-19-2010, 02:17 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Camera Canada has a decent online presence and usually competive prices (I bought a Bigma there was cheaper than anwhere here). I am pretty sure they offerer extended warrenty.

The don't show the K-5 but you can ask.

Camera Canada - Canada's dot.com for Cameras
10-19-2010, 02:36 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Thanks Bob.

Actually, I've just sent emails to Lozeau and Simon's Camera in Montreal, asking for availability of the K5.

I haven't checked with Laplante ... didn't know they existed!

JP
Here how to contact Laplante
Navigation dans les produits / photo LAPLANTE

Not showing the K-5 yet

For me , I will wait until the spring or close to Christmas before I change camera
10-19-2010, 04:27 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Camera Canada has a decent online presence and usually competive prices (I bought a Bigma there was cheaper than anwhere here). I am pretty sure they offerer extended warrenty.

The don't show the K-5 but you can ask.

Camera Canada - Canada's dot.com for Cameras
Thanks!! Going to send an email for info.
Appreciated.

Edit: just sent the email.

JP