Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-29-2022, 04:16 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Lens heaters for Astrphotography?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I know hand warmers are often used to prevent dew on lenses during astro sessions, but do any use dedicated lens warmers? They seem handier because they use power banks (often the usb ones we already have), and are velcro-y to better match lens size and heat evenly.

A couple of reviews here:
https://www.space.com/lens-heaters-the-best-for-astrophotography
Amazon’s list:
Amazon.ca : lens heater

09-29-2022, 05:01 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Kendrick makes the best, hands down. I've tried others, and I always go back.
Kendrick Astro Instruments - dew removal, imaging power, power packs, observer tent, solar filters, focus masks, USB hub,cord management solutions
The Kendricks are fairly efficient, well constructed, they transfer just the right amount of heat, and the velcro/elastic helps you adjust it to any lens.
Anything else is a knock off.
09-29-2022, 07:27 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ProfessorBuzz Quote
Kendrick makes the best, hands down. I've tried others, and I always go back.
Kendrick Astro Instruments - dew removal, imaging power, power packs, observer tent, solar filters, focus masks, USB hub,cord management solutions
The Kendricks are fairly efficient, well constructed, they transfer just the right amount of heat, and the velcro/elastic helps you adjust it to any lens.
Anything else is a knock off.
Thanks, those look impressive For me, I was hoping to keep it simple and under $100 though?
It sounds like I’m looking for the best of the knockoffs? Those seem to be mostly usb powered with hi/med/low settings
Since so many folks are using hand-warmers and velcro, even a knock-off would be a step up?
09-29-2022, 07:35 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Unfortunately I don't have much to add as I really should get some dew heaters for my lenses and until I do I just tie 2 to 4 of those air activated hand warmers to hood on my lenses. I don't specifically buy them for this purpose but every year get a couple of big packs of them for hunting and to keep in the car for the winter in case of emergency and then use the left overs the next year for astro. They only have a limited shelf life so at least they get used.

QuoteOriginally posted by rvandenbrink Quote
Since so many folks are using hand-warmers and velcro, even a knock-off would be a step up?
That would be me.

09-29-2022, 08:27 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks, those look impressive For me, I was hoping to keep it simple and under $100 though?
It sounds like I’m looking for the best of the knockoffs? Those seem to be mostly usb powered with hi/med/low settings
You need to decide what the value of your lens/camera equipment is, and decide if its worth it. eg if it's a $1000 lens, spending 10% is reasonable in my books.
The problem is some of the knock offs are badly made, and will short out, aren't actually waterproof, and have hot-spots instead of the even heating strips Kendrick uses.
The hotspots can melt the plastic parts of the lens body.
09-29-2022, 08:44 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
All of that is why I was asking for folks who might have a good experience with one of the “simple” products
I guess I’ll get to shopping
09-29-2022, 10:47 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would also suggest asking over in the astrophotography group as a number of people there have proper dew heaters.

09-29-2022, 01:25 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
I would also suggest asking over in the astrophotography group as a number of people there have proper dew heaters.
Thanks, I wasn’t aware of the group feature on this site! “today I learned a thing”!
09-29-2022, 01:36 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks, I wasn’t aware of the group feature on this site! “today I learned a thing”!
The group is here and we are a friendly lot.