Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-25-2008, 01:19 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I usually invest my money in really decent glass (Actually, that's all I did last year) and leave my camera body upgrade for another time. However, I think Bart and many of you are spot on about this one in that... well, I've come to realize that I some pretty awesome glass and maybe it's time for a body upgrade instead.

I did some research and I seriously considered the K20D. Here's a few points I've been thinking about:

1) At the price of a K20D, I could afford a K200D and a nice lens (later on). Plus, I don't really need Live View.

2) K200D uses AA's, which would be good for travelling (being stuck in the middle of nowhere with no Lith-Ion priority batts??).

3) The only thing that irks me is the darker viewfinder of the K200D. K20D is better in this regard, but could fix this with a replaceable split focus screen like the Katz Eye?

4) The K20D outclasses the K200D in speed and image size, but I think 10MP should be fine for me and anything that's slightly faster than my K100D is pretty good for me.

Also, even for the price, the K200D seems to have a lot of added benefits over the K100D I have now:
-bigger pictures = cropping with less data loss (10mp vs 6mp)
-wireless flash with Pentax AF flashes (Correct? or is this K20D only?)
-Dust-detection system
-Expanded dynamic range option
-SDM capability
-Weathersealed
-In Camera RAW editing
-Better White Balance options?? (or is this K20D only?)
-Can adjust ISO to values other than the usual 'set' values? (or is this K20D only also)
-SAFVOX VIII AF (not sure what the K100D uses... but I don't think its that one)

Sorry to turn this whole thread on its head now. I guess with Boxing Day sales going on soon I want to take advantage of any major price cuts, and the option of changing up my body now seems quite ... attractive.

QuoteQuote:
it's far easier to scrape up a while for a three-hundred dollar item or scrounge smaller ones, than accumulate any savings. So it's the old 'pay for what you want or pay multiple times' thing.
I hear ya on this one. I'm usually one to go with what I can afford instead of trying to save up a whole ton to get 'the big one'. If there's a middle of the road option that does everything I need, I usually go for it...

12-26-2008, 09:32 AM   #17
Veteran Member

I'd go with the body upgrade as well... You've already got some really nice glass, change the body... K100 is so damn slow, especially while shooting raw...

I had a chance to shoot my friend's D300 and I found it rather shocking to be able to burst raw shots without ever freezing up for 2 minutes every 3 shots...

That being said, personally I can't justify replacing my faithful K100..sup... At this point I'd rather invest in lenses... and keep crawling at 3frames every 2 minutes..

However, if I were you i'd go either for the K20 or wait for K300... 10mp isn't that much of an upgrade comparing to 6mp, but K20 uses these damn proprietary bats...

Cheers....