Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
4 Days Ago - 11 Likes   #1

Photography for geeks

Yesterday I found this article about Photography Technique and thought it might be useful and helpful to share:

Photography for geeks

I think maybe I'm getting tried of looking at camera specs and want articles about light, focal length etc. I thought it was interesting, hope you enjoy it too.

4 Days Ago - 4 Likes   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pentuxgb Quote
Yesterday I found this article about Photography Technique and thought it might be useful and helpful to share:

Photography for geeks

I think maybe I'm getting tried of looking at camera specs and want articles about light, focal length etc. I thought it was interesting, hope you enjoy it too.
Indeed - looking at camera specs teaches you nothing about actual photography - that's just "gear".
4 Days Ago   #3
Pentaxian At Large
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nicely presented set of ideas
4 Days Ago - 9 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CraigR Quote
Indeed - looking at camera specs teaches you nothing about actual photography - that's just "gear".
Exactly!

The "gear" is just a means to an end*. That implies that if you don't spend sufficient time thinking about the ends you want to create, then all that information about the means is pointless.

* Note: most people think the final image is the true end goal. That certainly seems like the whole point of something called "photography". However, some people also enjoy: 1) building a collection; 2) mastering some technological hobby; 3) attempting to impress people with the cost/size of their toys; 4) restoring old historical things; etc. Thus, the role of "specs" does loom larger for some people who enjoy different parts of "photography" beyond the image-creation process.

3 Days Ago - 3 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

I get a lot of inspiration from older ('50's - '70's) photographic publications, the earlier ones especially focus far more on the subject and how to make the best of it, rather than the gear needed, the assumption seeming to have been that "most cameras are equal" so the emphasis shifts to educating the photographer to make the most of what they have
3 Days Ago - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Is actual photography a noun or a verb?
3 Days Ago   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnMc Quote
Both

3 Days Ago - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Yes
3 Days Ago - 3 Likes   #9
Pentaxian

I think, in the sixties and seventies, from my recollection, there was far more emphasis on 'how' photos were taken, rather than 'what with', certainly in Photographic magazines instead of Camera magazines. Equipment was seen as being necessary, but only as a means to an end - a 'wide-angle' lens for landscapes and interiors, not because 'everyone needs a wide-angle lens'. I've never looked at my photography in the light of the subjects I take, since they are varied and wide-ranging - if people ask me what I like to photograph, I am pretty much stuck for an answer, and I usually say 'Whatever takes my eye at the time.'
3 Days Ago   #10
Pentaxian

Is that actual photography rather than virtual photography ? By virtual I mean the ones that everybody tells you about - 'It would have been a great picture if only . . . . ' (fill in the blank.)
3 Days Ago   #11
Pentaxian

Oh my, I didn't not intend my comment to spur a declination into adverbs. Sorry everyone.
3 Days Ago   #12
Pentaxian

Oh my, I didn't not intend my comment to spur a declination into adverbs. Sorry everyone.
I decline to comment.
3 Days Ago - 4 Likes   #13
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pentuxgb Quote
Thanks for sharing. It's a thoughtful piece. Would be great place for a newby to start. It brought together a number of skills and techniques that take years to acquire by trial and error.

One thing I would add. Doing something counter-intuitive or unconventional can take images out of the ordinary. Simple examples:
- long telephoto for landscapes. A small slice of a scene can create a sense of grandeur.
- portrait orientation for a broad vista. Seeing a vertical slice makes you read the scene differently (e.g. patterns/contrasts between sky and land).
- big sky with small slice of land creates a sense of awe.
- upward shot of tall trees - ditto.
- small piece of a big object (e.g. the foot of a statue) - sense of might and grandeur (can be ironic)
- a detail only (e.g. a microphone and mouth of a singer, or just the hands of a craftsperson) - the essence suggests a whole scene (can be very evocative)
- positioning the subject right on the edge of the frame - creates a different relationship between subject and environment, and between subject and viewer.
- filling or over-filling the frame - adds drama.
- reflection, but not the object reflected. Holding the mirror up to nature. Can also challenge sense of perspective.
- singling out one person/animal in a crowd (short DOF) - makes you consider the relationship between the individual and the group

One thing about modern cameras is that there is a lot of scope for cropping. Which means you can change the whole look and feel of an image to something you didn't see at the time you took it.
3 Days Ago - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
Is that actual photography rather than virtual photography ? By virtual I mean the ones that everybody tells you about - 'It would have been a great picture if only . . . . ' (fill in the blank.)
One of my favorite assignments was after having them write, 1/4 page minimum, about their most recent favorite photo which they were to bring with, for the first day of class. after discussion they were to do the same (1/2 page + sketches, min) of their next favorite shot, which they then had to go forth and make. Virtual in film days. This was best when I did a gen ed beginning class alt semesters. Oddly enough, the accounting and finance majors were the Aces although a few Lit majors found it beneficial to them to do all semester.
3 Days Ago - 2 Likes   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
mastering some technological hobby;
The geekiness about looking at the spec's and what the camera is doing can also pave the path as to understanding how the camera functions. If you look any of the sites that are orientated about gear also attract people that are interested in other geeky things about photography like how raw works and a prime example is how often we hear the notion that cameras are very easily prone to clipping the red channel. If it was not for some of these geeks many would still be reducing their exposure to reduce red clipping that is never really there in the raw files in the first place