Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-25-2008, 03:32 PM   #1
eclipsed450

when to or not to use a lens hood??

Hey guys, seeing as I'm still in the learning stage, when is it optimal to use a lens hood?? When should I not use one???

Thanks, hope everyone had a Merry Christmas!!

12-25-2008, 04:03 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Merry Christmas, Kirk

I always use a len hood. It's supplied to help improve IQ, by reducing stray light hitting the glass + gives protection to the front element.
The only time a hood isn't on my lens, is when it's not being used and stored in it's protective case.
12-25-2008, 05:11 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Always use your lens hood.

The only time I didn't use mine was when I was using the on-board flash, where it would block the flash in the lower half of the frame. Other than that, it's always used.
12-25-2008, 05:17 PM   #4
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by alohadave Quote
Always use your lens hood.

The only time I didn't use mine was when I was using the on-board flash, where it would block the flash in the lower half of the frame. Other than that, it's always used.
Ditto!!!!!

12-25-2008, 06:35 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I keep collapsable rubber hoods on my lenses. Flatten them out when I don't need them, and extend them out when I do. However, if I have the dedicated hood for the lens, I'll keep it mounted on the lens too.
12-25-2008, 06:40 PM   #6

Photos: Gallery
The only time I reluctantly remove mine is to fit the front of the lens through a hole in a fence or similar when the hood is too big to squeeze through.
It provides mechanical protection in case of bumps, etc and it helps reduce/prevent flare.
12-25-2008, 07:34 PM   #7
eclipsed450

lol, I don't think I've used either of the ones of I got with my smc lenses. Thanks for the replies.

There's one that's shaped like a cup, and one that's sort of like a flower; which one should I use, and if they differ, with with lense?? Also, should I get one for my asahi, and if so, and recommendations on where could I find one??

12-25-2008, 07:44 PM   #8
Veteran Member

the hood that extends the most without interfering with your view or images (known as vignetting) is the one you want

alot of times the original hoods could be increased even more

but any hood is better than no hood.
12-25-2008, 07:52 PM   #9
Veteran Member

In flat lighting it can be not used. In any sort of directional light, you should use it.

flare and stray light robs expensive (and cheap) lenses of contrast. a hood and a tripod are the best ways to get the most from your lens!
12-25-2008, 07:54 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eclipsed450 Quote
lol, I don't think I've used either of the ones of I got with my smc lenses. Thanks for the replies.

There's one that's shaped like a cup, and one that's sort of like a flower; which one should I use, and if they differ, with with lense?? Also, should I get one for my asahi, and if so, and recommendations on where could I find one??
The rubber screw in hoods are nice, other than they make filters a pain since you might cause vignetting.

I like the rubber hoods for outdoors stuff, and my understanding is for shooting through glass (aquariums and observation decks), a rubber hood can help when pressed to the glass. I've never used it in an aquarium but I have in a observation deck and the zoo.
12-25-2008, 08:18 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mountain Vision Quote
In flat lighting it can be not used.
i disagree with this to a point

light is light,

if you see something, light is bouncing off of it, and if that something is not at 90* or more to your lens, and it is not part of the image, it is unwanted light.

this is ofcourse much less noticed under weak or flat light, or noticed at all (unless you compare it), and even much less iimportant nowdays with the contrast sliders in our PP programs,

but still, personaly i use a hood at all times, unless you have a very wide andle lens and you are using flash, but ohh well.
12-25-2008, 08:54 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
Ditto!!!!!
Double ditto.
12-25-2008, 09:59 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eclipsed450 Quote
The petal-shaped one is for the 18-55; the cup-shaped one for the 50-200. Sure, getting a hood for any lens you on is a good idea, although it isn't always easy to get one *specifically* fitted for each lens as the above two are. The collapsible rubber hoods you can get at any camera stores are usually fine. They screw in like filters, so you'd get whichever size fits your filter threads (49mm for most Pentax-M lenses).
12-26-2008, 01:08 AM   #14
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
I use hoods all the time on all lenses, I don't use filters on the front of my lenses, so for me the hoods act as protection for naked lenses.
12-26-2008, 10:19 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I use hoods all the time. I bought a rubber collapsible one for the FA50 which comes without one. Love it.

One advantage not yet mentioned, is that hoods help to keep rain or snow droplets off the lens if you are careful not to point them up.